Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First baby (basic!) questions

Options
  • 03-07-2020 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all!

Got my positive test result yesterday, think I’m nearly 4 weeks. Planned baby but my initial reaction was oh f...what am I after doing! Shock starting to wear off now (just about) and starting to think about what happens next.

I HAVE NO IDEA!!

But from what I see, my GP is my next port of call, and I guess she’ll point me in the right direction next?
    Im hoping to go private. Does that mean scans etc won’t be in the maternity hospital (Limerick) at all? I’ve seen a lot of reference to booking scans etc in the hospital but wondering if you go private if this is all done through the consultant. And do I need to get contacting different consultants already or is it time enough?

I would really really appreciate any advice as feel like I’m a little over my head with this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Congratulations! And breathe! It will be fine!

Yes, your gp is your first port of call. They’ll refer you on to a consultant of your choice. They might be able to point you towards one, but perhaps you’ve got friends or family who have gone private previously and could advise.
    As a private patient, your booking appointment and first scan etc should all take place in the consultants private rooms or clinic. In a lot of places it’s in a separate part of the public hospital, not sure about limerick though. In my experience, once your gp has referred you, you just have to wait for an appointment letter, don’t worry about anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

Fluxfan wrote: »
    Hi all!

Got my positive test result yesterday, think I’m nearly 4 weeks. Planned baby but my initial reaction was oh f...what am I after doing! Shock starting to wear off now (just about) and starting to think about what happens next.

I HAVE NO IDEA!!

But from what I see, my GP is my next port of call, and I guess she’ll point me in the right direction next?
    Im hoping to go private. Does that mean scans etc won’t be in the maternity hospital (Limerick) at all? I’ve seen a lot of reference to booking scans etc in the hospital but wondering if you go private if this is all done through the consultant. And do I need to get contacting different consultants already or is it time enough?

I would really really appreciate any advice as feel like I’m a little over my head with this!

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Its very overwhelming. First you need to go to your gp and then try book a consultant yourself so you just phone their receptionist. You must have your pregnancy confirmed by gp, some require a letter from gp . I would contact your preferred consultant as quickly as you can. Some get booked up and others may be planning holidays around your due date so may not take you on. All the scans etc are done in private rooms, I see the midwife when im there too for bloods etc and consultant for scan. I've met the consultant in the maternity hospital for scans from time to time too and your anomoly scan will be there also. The only other things you will be at the maternity hospital for is for things like physio or if you develop gestational diabetes. Tbh Limerick maternity is fantastic. I'm a few weeks away from giving birth in Limerick,can recommend a consultant if you don't already have one in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No need for gp. Book directly with the maternity hospital.

lazygal wrote: »
    No need for gp. Book directly with the maternity hospital.

Not necessarily. Some places require a gp letter

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

sallysue2 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. Its very overwhelming. First you need to go to your gp and then try book a consultant yourself so you just phone their receptionist. You must have your pregnancy confirmed by gp, some require a letter from gp . I would contact your preferred consultant as quickly as you can. Some get booked up and others may be planning holidays around your due date so may not take you on. All the scans etc are done in private rooms, I see the midwife when im there too for bloods etc and consultant for scan. I've met the consultant in the maternity hospital for scans from time to time too and your anomoly scan will be there also. The only other things you will be at the maternity hospital for is for things like physio or if you develop gestational diabetes. Tbh Limerick maternity is fantastic. I'm a few weeks away from giving birth in Limerick,can recommend a consultant if you don't already have one in mind.

Awesome thank you for the info. Good to hear you have had a positive experience so far at Limerick as I’ve heard a few negative stories as well! Would love your consultant recommendation please 😀 best of luck over the next few weeks!

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    Congratulations! And breathe! It will be fine!

Yes, your gp is your first port of call. They’ll refer you on to a consultant of your choice. They might be able to point you towards one, but perhaps you’ve got friends or family who have gone private previously and could advise.
    As a private patient, your booking appointment and first scan etc should all take place in the consultants private rooms or clinic. In a lot of places it’s in a separate part of the public hospital, not sure about limerick though. In my experience, once your gp has referred you, you just have to wait for an appointment letter, don’t worry about anything else

Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to reply! I booked in with my gp today :)

Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to reply! I booked in with my gp today :)

Great. Is there a consultant called Slevin in Limerick maternity? I’m not from limerick, but I’ve two friends who went private there and spoke very highly of their consultant, I think that’s the name I’ve heard.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Great. Is there a consultant called Slevin in Limerick maternity? I’m not from limerick, but I’ve two friends who went private there and spoke very highly of their consultant, I think that’s the name I’ve heard.

There is and I just made my decision to book in with him today. Starting to feel a little more in control now :D it’s so upsetting to hear that partners are still not allowed attend appts scans etc. Fully understandable but it’s disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

Awesome thank you for the info. Good to hear you have had a positive experience so far at Limerick as I’ve heard a few negative stories as well! Would love your consultant recommendation please 😀 best of luck over the next few weeks!

I seen you picked Dr slevin. He's got a great reputation alright. I was going to recommend Prof cotter, I've a very complex and high risk pregnancy and I find her excellent. But you will be in great hands too with Dr slevin. Aw thanks, best of luck with your pregnancy. x

sallysue2 wrote: »
    I seen you picked Dr slevin. He's got a great reputation alright. I was going to recommend Prof cotter, I've a very complex and high risk pregnancy and I find her excellent. But you will be in great hands too with Dr slevin. Aw thanks, best of luck with your pregnancy. x

Thanks a mil I appreciate that. Hope your pregnancy goes well for you and wishing you the best of luck, it doesn’t sound like things are easy for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement