Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog ate chocolate popcorn - any experience?

Options
  • 22-10-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭

I came home to find my dog had eaten about half a large bag of chocolate popcorn. This is popcorn seasoned with chocolate, rather than dipped into liquid chocolate. She's an adult whippet / lurcher cross.

Could've happened anytime between 8.30am and 1pm. Right now (3pm) she seems completely normal, nothing strange. I'm taking her to the vet just to be on the safe side.

My question is, has this ever happened to any other dog owners? I'm hoping what she ate would be a smaller amount of chocolate than what would be really harmful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Vet told me that a few squares wont have any impact on most dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ive never heard of chocolate popcorn so never happened to any of my dogs, but I can't envisage any problems, possibly an upset tummy. But as with everything no harm seeing a vet.........and use the time to have her ears, bum, eyes, teeth, ears etc checked, won't cost any more. Wouldn't be worried at all though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Can you check the cocoa content? As far as I know, the problem is the theobromine which is in the cocoa solids, so the closer something is to being 100% dark chocolate, the more toxic it is for dogs etc. Vet's still a good idea though, if only for your peace of mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The darker the chocolate, the worse it is.

My friend's tiny wee bichon friese ate a load of (milk) chocolate money, foil and all, and was fine. I'm sure yours will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

My 5.5kg terrier ate an entire Easter egg and half a box of chocolates one year. Apart from projectile vomiting chocolate for about 4 hours she was fine.

as mentioned above dark choc is more of an issue than white or milk choc.

If you are concerned though best to have a chat with your vet

• Advertisement

I came home to find my dog had eaten about half a large bag of chocolate popcorn. This is popcorn seasoned with chocolate, rather than dipped into liquid chocolate. She's an adult whippet / lurcher cross.

Could've happened anytime between 8.30am and 1pm. Right now (3pm) she seems completely normal, nothing strange. I'm taking her to the vet just to be on the safe side.

My question is, has this ever happened to any other dog owners? I'm hoping what she ate would be a smaller amount of chocolate than what would be really harmful.

My old lurcher Snickers ate a giant milk chocolate bunny around Easter one time. Apart from diarrhoea, he was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yeah I took her to the vet and she seems fine, just told me to put some activated charcoal in her food. Hopefully that'll be that.

Thanks for the tips.

Advertisement