Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good present for 6 y.o. child where house is full of toys already

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rhiannon89

Trip to a petting zoo or a wildlife park! I remember I loved feeding baby goats with treats at a local petting farm as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

pwurple wrote: »
    Cork lass, that sounds very thoughtful, but fyi, my kids hate those fluffy pjs and socks. I think it's because they are mostly made from that polyester or acrylic plastic stuff, which is really sweaty to wear, rather than cotton which they are used to.

Very generous of you, but just a heads up on the pjs, check the fabric.

We are a bit brutal with vouchers, never find the time to use them. Books are always a big hit here, once people check in advance have they already read them. Beautifully illustrated ones, or a boxed book set is nice for a special gift.

Thanks for that purple. My own daughters love fluffy pjs so I always just went with that but you’re probably right so I’ll get some cotton ones too just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Coopaloop wrote: »
    I always ask my brothers and their wives what the children would like, and that's what they get, be it a toy, clothes, books, vouchers, and they do the same with mine, and I always ask for the same....books and Pjs, clothes. My husbands family on the other hand buy pure and utter sh*te, cheap stuff from euro shops or cheap toy shops that break and ends up in the bin. Last year they got a mountain of stuff all of it the boys had no interest in, it was unwrapped and cast aside. I left it in a pile in the living room in plain sight for the whole moth of January and it wasnt looked at once. It all went to the charity shops, such a waste of money. I would rather nothing at all than just getting first the sake of it. We have always said we have too many toys so maybe a book or clothes etc...never happens. I probably sound really ungrateful, it's not about the money, I just never buy a present for someone without knowing what they like or what they need or want.
    A memory present sounds wonderful, or even a prepaid cc card with a note saying have a special day on me. That way they can do whatever they want with it.

Sounds like you hold these people in real high regard:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I remember a relative bought us this quite expensive large toy that we just had zero room for.

One of these toy garage playsets.

Anyway, decision is made early to 'store' the toy up in the attic.

3 months later - relative calls unexpectedly; just wanted to see how you're getting on with new playset guys!!..... oh cringe.....

If its a boy - then chances are that a branded soccer jersey might be warmly welcomed, both by child and parents (it might save them a few quid). The new Ireland jersey is out.

Also - I brought the kids to Tayto Park in August. A exorbitantly expensive day was made just about affordable by the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Sounds like you hold these people in real high regard:p:p

Indeed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

I think asking the parents is the only way to go. My boys would have zero interest in a soccer jersey, 2 of them have no interest in sports at all and 1 only a minor interest, loves his dublin jersey though. So unless you know the kid is in to something specific just do what the parents say. My siblings and I get together in November and sort it out. My older ones (12,14) now get cinema vouchers cos they're old enough to go with friends or together without us. Cinema vouchers for younger kids I feel are really just something that either saves the parents money, cos they don't have to pay for the kids, or costs them because they have to buy their own ticket to go with them. Tv/gaming Merchandise always goes down well too cos they're complete nerds.

So there's no answer, depends on the child, so ask the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Couple of good board games a six year old will be getting into games now ones like monopoly junior etc, provided parents keep them separate and in a safe place with all the pieces in the right boxes they can be kept for years and played over and over again

Advertisement