Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Money Account - Avoid like the plague!

Options
  • 14-10-2019 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I signed up for one of these accounts last month and am already preparing to close it. It's been a complete nightmare from start to finish. They issued a card for which you have to ring them up to activate and retrieve the PIN.So far so good.

I then tried to change the PIN in an ATM, but multiple different ATMs wouldn't let me do it. I transferred money into the account and later tried to withdraw some, and couldn't do that either! I rang them up to learn that the account had been locked because of the multiple failed PIN changes. Note that I wasn't notified of the account lock, I only found out when I rang them. Customer support aren't based in Ireland from the sounds of things, they don't do unlocks over the weekend either, and they can take a few days. I won't be notified when it is unlocked either ,I have to just keep calling them.

All this and they want to charge you €5 a month for the pleasure?
    Stay well, well away folks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

magoo84 wrote: »
    I signed up for one of these accounts last month and am already preparing to close it. It's been a complete nightmare from start to finish. They issued a card for which you have to ring them up to activate and retrieve the PIN.So far so good.

I then tried to change the PIN in an ATM, but multiple different ATMs wouldn't let me do it. I transferred money into the account and later tried to withdraw some, and couldn't do that either! I rang them up to learn that the account had been locked because of the multiple failed PIN changes. Note that I wasn't notified of the account lock, I only found out when I rang them. Customer support aren't based in Ireland from the sounds of things, they don't do unlocks over the weekend either, and they can take a few days. I won't be notified when it is unlocked either ,I have to just keep calling them.

All this and they want to charge you €5 a month for the pleasure?
    Stay well, well away folks.

Sound like you messed up the pin change?

Apt user name is apt?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Sound like you messed up the pin change?

Apt user name is apt?

No.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No.

Of course not, the failed PIN changes had nothing to do with you.... and a quick google would suggest it is not a general issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MondayBlues

What you described is like your fault to be honest, wouldn't stop me using them for that,

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

What you described is like your fault to be honest, wouldn't stop me using them for that,

I had the text An Post sent me containing my PIN with me when I was doing it...give me some credit like. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

I had the text An Post sent me containing my PIN with me when I was doing it...give me some credit like. Jesus.

“Oh Magoo you’ve done it again!”

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I've been thinking about changing to this current account, 5 euros maintenance fee a month could be offset by the money back from using lidl or airtricity.
    Any more opinions on their current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I was with Ulster bank when they introduced card and ATM charges. Looked at switching to the An Post account with it's rewards scheme. I weekly shop at Lidls so earn 5% cash back although the other shops on the scheme I don't use.

Unlike the UK where the in-house switching service is pretty seamless, there is no such thing with An Post so organised switching of my DD and SO myself.

I put enough cash into the new AP account to cover those DD's and waited for the first payments to ensure they worked then closed the UB account and transferred the remaining money. The only glitch was that Sky didn't have An Post on their payment system so it took a call back to sort that out. Bord Gas, Imagine and others were easy. I also transfer a monthly amount from a UK bank through a money exchange company for a flat fee. The money arrives in the Anpost account a lot quicker than it ever did with UB.

I qualify for free withdrawls from any Post Office and have used the card at Link machines in Ballina. The new pin system was easy to sort online and have so far not had a problem with on line use.

It takes a couple of months for the cash back system to kick in but all payments were back dated to the account start date. I now earn between 15 - 25 euros a month which covers the account fee. I also receive printed statements through the post which are not really necessary and I will look to cancel those.

Overall it was a bit of a hassle to switch but my anger at Ulster bank rip off fees drove me on. Would definitley recommend the account.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

I started a thread on my experience with them on here last year. Undoubtedly the worst experience I've ever had with any "financial institution".

Wages not in happened a few times due to "technical issues", when their customers cards were declined yet the money was taken out of their accounts their response was a joke mainly due to the fact they had outsourced the customer care to England and the agents hadn't a clue about the service.

From what I read on Twitter some people weren't reimbursed for over a week. If you're thinking about opening an account with them, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

lemush wrote:
    From what I read on Twitter some people weren't reimbursed for over a week. If you're thinking about opening an account with them, don't.

Thanks for your advice, obviously the wages would be going into the account with the mortgage going out so I won't chance changing. I had enough hardship the last time I changed banks with those clowns in ptsb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 garymt

So far, its been 10 days since I opened my account, which I'm locked out of (never managed to activate it)!

My new Direct Debit setups are now beginning to "bounce" (invalid account number"), and Customer Service experience is like swimming in treacle - even worse than Eir!

Having organised all the switch manually (nightmare!) I now have to write to everyone again to cancel everything....

Now I know why they don't have a banking licence......

As said by previous posters - avoid like the plague!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if you failed to activate it then this is not surprising. The real question is why you were unable to activate it.

• What was the error?
    • What did you do to rectify the issue
    • What did An Post say in response if any

Advertisement