Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription medication for dogs online

Options
  • 19-10-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Is there legal restrictions to "importing " prescription medication by ordering from the UK, the site says it's ok as long as a valid prescription from a registered vet anywhere in the UK or Europe.
    My vet says there prescription not valid outside of ireland, is it that there is a chance that it could be seized at customer or what?

Is this just a restriction in Ireland.

Also would this be the same in Northern Ireland, could I just walk into
    a chemist or veterinary suppliers and order it there, I can understand why regulations are there to protect counterfeit medications but the online supplier is a registered Vet.

Comments

rasper wrote: »
    Is there legal restrictions to "importing " prescription medication by ordering from the UK, the site says it's ok as long as a valid prescription from a registered vet anywhere in the UK or Europe.
    My vet says there prescription not valid outside of ireland, is it that there is a chance that it could be seized at customer or what?

Is this just a restriction in Ireland.

Also would this be the same in Northern Ireland, could I just walk into
    a chemist or veterinary suppliers and order it there, I can understand why regulations are there to protect counterfeit medications but the online supplier is a registered Vet.

If the prescription is valid and the medication licensed for Ireland than it should be ok. Greyhound friends of mine learned the hard way when ordering worm tablets online. They turned up, delivered by a customs officer with a search warrant. Their greyhound kennel was searched, nothing illegal was found. The Customs officer confiscated the tablets and issued a caution to my pal. The tablets weren’t licensed for use in the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I get Baileys from https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/ and use parcel wizard for postage

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

tk123 wrote: »
    I get Baileys from https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/ and use parcel wizard for postage

That's who was looking at, have an addresspal account but it says they need to deliver the country from where the prescription is from, so in this case the addresspal would be a UK.

The medication is totally legit, just I read someone's post about restrictions on importing prescriptions

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

Legally you cant order prescription medication from another country without a licence to import, and a vet isn't supposed to write a script if they know you're going to source it outside the country. Don't know how well it's enforced though.

That's who was looking at, have an addresspal account but it says they need to deliver the country from where the prescription is from, so in this case the addresspal would be a UK.

The medication is totally legit, just I read someone's post about restrictions on importing prescriptions

Oh i never noticed that about the address lol! I’ve never had an issue using parcel wizard anyways. I’d assume using an post would have a higher chance of it getting checked.

• Advertisement

Is Bailey's a prescription medication coz I will certainly try and use my addresspal account, much cheaper than their delivery of £14 gbp

Thanks everyone for the responses , it seems to be confirmed that the prescription medication for pets could be liable to be either confiscated or returned to the seller by customs (depending if detected)

I'll contact the website as they specifically mention Ireland and registered vet prescriptions, hard to see a registered veterinary in the UK consistently break Irish laws and send prescribed medication through the post
    ( whatever the rights & wrongs about it,also I'm not saying any particular vet is making a more than fair margin,I honestly trust my vet and wouldn't be with them if I didn't , but there can be a colossal difference in some prices and I don't believe it's the vets overcharging but something is wrong)

Is Bailey's a prescription medication coz I will certainly try and use my addresspal account, much cheaper than their delivery of £14 gbp

)

Yep it’s a prescription - I scan it in and order every 6 months. I think the revenue have bigger problems than Baileys box of pills every 6 months lol. Again I’d bypass An Post... Both vets I go to print presentations

tk123 wrote: »
    Yep it’s a prescription - I scan it in and order every 6 months. I think the revenue have bigger problems than Baileys box of pills every 6 months lol. Again I’d bypass An Post... Both vets I go to print presentations

Thanks for that,

Advertisement