Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone FTTH speeds upgraded

Options
  • 04-06-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if posted already but my 300mb plan has gone to 500mb at no charge

happy with that :P

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cyrus wrote: »
    Apologies if posted already but my 300mb plan has gone to 500mb at no charge

happy with that :P

Really beginning to feel a bit left out here on Eir, seems everyone except Eir are getting upgraded to 500! Ye have to wonder why did OpenEir create the 500 profile and then Eir decide to just ignore it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    Ye have to wonder why did OpenEir create the 500 profile and then Eir decide to just ignore it!

They have nothing to do with each other anymore apart from being a daughter company of the same owners. They are not even supposed to talk to eachother directly. Regulatory requirement to prevent preferential treatment.

Eir is only a retail organisation like any other provider on OpenEIRs network now. And this is a very good example that shows it.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm going to see if Eir change anything by 1st of July and if everything stays the same i'll indeed be looking for a new provider. Not much point paying Eir for 300 when everybody else is on 500 for the same money! It's a real pity because the Eir network is excellent including really low ping times and I've had no issues with the billing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'm going to see if Eir change anything by 1st of July and if everything stays the same i'll indeed be looking for a new provider. Not much point paying Eir for 300 when everybody else is on 500 for the same money! It's a real pity because the Eir network is excellent including really low ping times and I've had no issues with the billing either.

They are all the same in terms of service on ftth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

cyrus there is no mention of 500mb on VF website!!! And they are derear than eir after 12 months!!

Have you any links? and how much is it?

• Advertisement

They are all the same in terms of service on ftth

not completely. The 300, now 500 plan is available on most providers however Eir dropped this plan late last year. Eir only offer 150 and 1000 plans. I already enquired with Eir are there any plans to upgrade to 500 and I was told not that they know of as they only offer 150 and 1000. This leaves me to believe those of us on Eir with the 300 plan are now on an old legacy plan and it is looking very unlikely it will get upgraded, unless Eir bring back the plan at some point.

swoofer wrote: »
    cyrus there is no mention of 500mb on VF website!!! And they are derear than eir after 12 months!!

Have you any links? and how much is it?

I don’t know I’ve moved every year as they all go up in price and won’t match the others offers

I’ve been eir sky and now Vodafone

Just got an email from Vodafone when I posted so the plan I’m on is the current 300 just upgraded

not completely. The 300, now 500 plan is available on most providers however Eir dropped this plan late last year. Eir only offer 150 and 1000 plans. I already enquired with Eir are there any plans to upgrade to 500 and I was told not that they know of as they only offer 150 and 1000. This leaves me to believe those of us on Eir with the 300 plan are now on an old legacy plan and it is looking very unlikely it will get upgraded, unless Eir bring back the plan at some point.

Sorry I get that I mean speeds on same plans will be the same on each one so 150 on eir will be the same as 150 with sky digiweb or Vodafone

OpenEIR actually send a mail out (to providers and technology partners) today, that the 300 Mbit/s plan is not going to be discontinued.

So if providers want to continue to sell it, they can.

The downside of that (for you), as that Eir won't even be forced to change your package.

/M

Sorry I get that I mean speeds on same plans will be the same on each one so 150 on eir will be the same as 150 with sky digiweb or Vodafone

Yes, no, maybe. Overall speeds yes. But speed is not and has never been the most important factor when it comes to internet. Sure .. everyone and their granny is blaming speeds at the first sign of a problem, but that's just as wrong as it can be.

Ping times, quality of upstream internet connectivity, consistancy and contention can differ massively from one provider to another. And that mix is the make and break of a connection.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Yes, no, maybe. Overall speeds yes. But speed is not and has never been the most important factor when it comes to internet. Sure .. everyone and their granny is blaming speeds at the first sign of a problem, but that's just as wrong as it can be.

Ping times, quality of upstream internet connectivity, consistancy and contention can differ massively from one provider to another. And that mix is the make and break of a connection.

/M

Different provider selling the same speed on the same Open eir network ? How so

Different provider selling the same speed on the same Open eir network ? How so

The OpenEIR network is only the last mile. From the customer to the exchange and sometimes a bit further to the provider.

Some providers pick up the connection at the exchange, the customer is on.

Others pick it up at an interconnect and that can be anywhere in Ireland. So you never know, how much of the connection is travelled on OpenEIRs network and how much is travelled on the providers own network.

Everything else is different. OpenEIR is not a complete package. It's not just resale.

/M

Advertisement