Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir vs Vodafone - speed differences?

• 04-06-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

I have a question about provider speeds if anyone can help.

I am coming to the end of a contract with Eir and looking at my options. I have a 'part fibre' 100MB connection and the service has been good. Download speed is usually 90MB+ over Wifi and haven't had any issues thankfully.

Vodafone currently have a good deal for new customers. However, on their website they state that the download speed I could expect at my address is 24MB. I had thought that as the line infrastructure is the same, I would get the same speeds as Eir... Am I right? Or would there be potentially different speeds with Vodafone? I know the modem would be different, but I didn't think that would affect it.

Eir is basically twice the price, the only thing that's half tempting is Eir FTTH is recently available for my house, and I can get a 300MB connection for roughly the same price as my 100MB renewal. Not sure I even need 300MB to be honest though.

Would appreciate any insight to help make the decision - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you can get Eir FTTH you can get Vodafone FTTH. If you're presently on eir VDSL(FTTC) you can get Vodafone VDSL. Same speed. If the VF site is showing 24Mb ADSL try using your eircode not your phone number or vise versa.

FTTH is the future, if this is your "forever home"(*vomits*) its worth upgrading if not now for the increased upload speed but for future as VDSL will never improve and FTTH is going to keep getting faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Thanks for the quick reply. I did think speeds should be the same once using the same line. Vodafone's checker isn't giving me the option of FTTH, but then again Eir's site only started offering it to me in the last week, prior to this it was FTTC only.

Also, I thought VF were part of the SIRO infrastructure for fibre? (SIRO not available here).

I don't think we'll be here 'forever' but not planning to move for a few years so maybe it's better to future-proof rather than signing up for 12 months of VDSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your area is SIRO + OE FTTH, then VF only offer SIRO. If SIRO isnt present (majority) then they sell via OE.

Assuming you were recently enabled it might take up to a month for Vodafone to catch up. They get the file at the same time but they have to integrate the new data into their sales platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Vodafones line checker has been finicky the last week for some reason. It says alot of lines are eligible for upto 24Mb but if you try it again later it'll tell you what FTTH/FTTC speeds are available. I was ordering fibre for the brother and I know it's capable of 40Mb but it told me it was only upto 24Mb, my house said 24Mb and it has 100Mb so maybe try it again another day and see. -- I checked both later that day and it gave the proper speeds available then

Advertisement