Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I store food in my food trailer?

Options
  • 28-05-2020 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, I’m starting a sandwich/coffee trailer business and I’m researching options regarding storing and prepping my food.

My trailer will be HACCP approved so I can prep in the trailer but I’m not sure what to do regarding storing it.

Can I store it in the fridges in the trailer (the trailer will be plugged in to mains at night) or do I have to go down the avenue of searching for a HACCP approved kitchen to store my food there?

I’ll only be working with pre cooked meats.

Also, I have my HACCP 2 training, do I have to further it with more training?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Seb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Sebatron3 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m starting a sandwich/coffee trailer business and I’m researching options regarding storing and prepping my food.

My trailer will be HACCP approved so I can prep in the trailer but I’m not sure what to do regarding storing it.

Can I store it in the fridges in the trailer (the trailer will be plugged in to mains at night) or do I have to go down the avenue of searching for a HACCP approved kitchen to store my food there?

I’ll only be working with pre cooked meats.

Also, I have my HACCP 2 training, do I have to further it with more training?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Seb

When You register as a good business and the health authority come out to inspect the trailer you ask them these questions and as a result you are covered and can proceed. They will send a follow up letter outlining the meeting, and let you know if they wish any changes to be so you know exactly what’s acceptable.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

That’s really good to know. Thanks so much for the reply!
    Bandara wrote: »
    When You register as a good business and the health authority come out to inspect the trailer you ask them these questions and as a result you are covered and can proceed. They will send a follow up letter outlining the meeting, and let you know if they wish any changes to be so you know exactly what’s acceptable.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Hi Seb

There should be no problem with storing food in the trailer as long as you can prove that the cold chain wasn't broken.

Before you meet any EHO I would outline your HACCP very clearly. If you want just send me your plan and I have a look at it, as i would have some experience in this field.

Kind regards Oliver

Hi Seb

There should be no problem with storing food in the trailer as long as you can prove that the cold chain wasn't broken.

Before you meet any EHO I would outline your HACCP very clearly. If you want just send me your plan and I have a look at it, as i would have some experience in this field.

Kind regards Oliver

Hi Oliver,

That’s good to know regarding proving the cold chain isn’t broken.

I haven’t done up a HACCP plan yet but I’ll get on it and and send it to you for a look. The Rice box trailer is being customized next week should be finished mid August. That’s when I’ll be getting the EHO to come and look at it.

Thanks again

Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Knockeen

Hi seb. Do you mind me asking where u got rice trailer and where you got customised. I am thinking of doing similar and am finding it difficult to source vehicle. Many thanks

• Advertisement

Knockeen wrote: »
    Hi seb. Do you mind me asking where u got rice trailer and where you got customised. I am thinking of doing similar and am finding it difficult to source vehicle. Many thanks

Hi Knockeen, a company called Retro Food Trucks sourced the trailer and are now in the process of restoring and fitting out. They take the pressure of finding the right one and making it HACCP worthy... but it ain’t cheap!

Advertisement