Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-11-2016, 18:25   #16
degsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Gunner View Post
On the Echo for TuneIn you have to name the radio station ??
I don't listen to many Irish radio stations so do I just have to say Alexis play 'name of station'......better get my naming right
It's phrased "Alexa, play <name_of_station> on tunein" but as mentioned Irish radio stations are very hit-and-miss.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-11-2016, 10:42   #17
Tom Cruises Left Nut

Any update at all on IFTTT working ?
16-11-2016, 11:10   #18
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cruises Left Nut View Post
Any update at all on IFTTT working ?
No, unfortunately
Thanks from:
16-11-2016, 11:19   #19
Kurn

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsie View Post
It's phrased "Alexa, play <name_of_station> on tunein" but as mentioned Irish radio stations are very hit-and-miss.
I often wondered is that because of the fada on R. I always have trouble with the RTE stations
16-11-2016, 12:42   #20

Hi,

Before spending time in reading and doing my home work on these devices...can anyone confirm if they are constant listening and passing & processing the information to some external / third party cloud provider OR is a local based solution!?

Thanks
Advertisement
16-11-2016, 12:58   #21
degsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurn View Post
I often wondered is that because of the fada on R. I always have trouble with the RTE stations
You mean fada on 'e'?
16-11-2016, 13:16   #22
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolion View Post
Before spending time in reading and doing my home work on these devices...can anyone confirm if they are constant listening and passing & processing the information to some external / third party cloud provider OR is a local based solution!?
Google Home and Amazon Echo both locally constantly listen out for their activation words (e.g. "Hey Google", "Alexa"). Once it hears those activations words, they start recording the rest of what you say for a few seconds and that gets uploaded to the cloud to be processed. After those few seconds they stop listening again.

You can tell when they are listening as they light up the top of the device while listening.

You can review and delete the recordings they have made and uploaded to the cloud service with their apps.

They both also have a button to turn on privacy mode, where they completely stop listening.
Thanks from:
16-11-2016, 14:44   #23
Kurn

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsie View Post
You mean fada on 'e'?
obviously
16-11-2016, 15:02   #24
Kurn

Mine is very close to the TV, and interestingly, I noticed when the Amazon Echo ad comes on the telly, it listens when it hears its name, but then quickly stops when it hears the next line in the ad. I wonder they they program in this to ignore these ads.

Sad that I notice these things
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-11-2016, 16:28   #25
adox

On the Spotify thing, I do not have to say "on spotify" with my commands to get it to work. I have it set as my default source and dont have amazons music service.

I just say "play jazz" "play Christine And The Queens" etc and it plays them from Spotify.
Thanks from:
17-11-2016, 20:25   #26
trevor1973

Thanks for the FAQ
18-11-2016, 16:11   #27
JoeCole26

Can I get alexa app for iPhone?

The Alexa app isn't available on the Irish Apple App Store, however it is reltivaly easy to temporarily change your app store to the UK App Store and download it from there after which you can change it back to the Irish app store.

Is this possible to do through your iPhone - any links on how to do it anywhere?

Thanks!
18-11-2016, 16:51   #28
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCole26 View Post
Can I get alexa app for iPhone?

The Alexa app isn't available on the Irish Apple App Store, however it is reltivaly easy to temporarily change your app store to the UK App Store and download it from there after which you can change it back to the Irish app store.

Is this possible to do through your iPhone - any links on how to do it anywhere?
Here:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...on-my-iphone-5

Also remember you go just use alexa.amamzon.co.uk in Safari if your change it to desktop mode, much easier option.
Thanks from:
18-11-2016, 16:55   #29
bk

So it turns out that I don't have to say "in Dublin" any more when asking for weather!

I can just ask it "What is the weather like?" or "Will I need an umbrella?" and she responds, "In Dublin, Ireland, the weather is ......".

Also Spotify is now working better I can just ask it (no need to say "on spotify" any more):

- Play Rock Music
- Play Greenday

However "Play Music" still doesn't work, I still have to say "Play Music on Spotify".

Some nice improvements.
18-11-2016, 17:49   #30
givecredit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
However "Play Music" still doesn't work, I still have to say "Play Music on Spotify".

Some nice improvements.
Have you tried "resume Spotify" shorter...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion