Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-11-2016, 18:25   #16
degsie
Registered User
 
degsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Gunner View Post
On the Echo for TuneIn you have to name the radio station ??
I don't listen to many Irish radio stations so do I just have to say Alexis play 'name of station'......better get my naming right
It's phrased "Alexa, play <name_of_station> on tunein" but as mentioned Irish radio stations are very hit-and-miss.
degsie is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-11-2016, 10:42   #17
Tom Cruises Left Nut
Registered User
 
Tom Cruises Left Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,740
Any update at all on IFTTT working ?
Tom Cruises Left Nut is offline  
16-11-2016, 11:10   #18
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cruises Left Nut View Post
Any update at all on IFTTT working ?
No, unfortunately
bk is offline  
Thanks from:
16-11-2016, 11:19   #19
Kurn
Registered User
 
Kurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by degsie View Post
It's phrased "Alexa, play <name_of_station> on tunein" but as mentioned Irish radio stations are very hit-and-miss.
I often wondered is that because of the fada on R. I always have trouble with the RTE stations
Kurn is offline  
16-11-2016, 12:42   #20
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,339
Hi,

Before spending time in reading and doing my home work on these devices...can anyone confirm if they are constant listening and passing & processing the information to some external / third party cloud provider OR is a local based solution!?

Thanks
rolion is offline  
Advertisement
16-11-2016, 12:58   #21
degsie
Registered User
 
degsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurn View Post
I often wondered is that because of the fada on R. I always have trouble with the RTE stations
You mean fada on 'e'?
degsie is online now  
16-11-2016, 13:16   #22
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolion View Post
Before spending time in reading and doing my home work on these devices...can anyone confirm if they are constant listening and passing & processing the information to some external / third party cloud provider OR is a local based solution!?
Google Home and Amazon Echo both locally constantly listen out for their activation words (e.g. "Hey Google", "Alexa"). Once it hears those activations words, they start recording the rest of what you say for a few seconds and that gets uploaded to the cloud to be processed. After those few seconds they stop listening again.

You can tell when they are listening as they light up the top of the device while listening.

You can review and delete the recordings they have made and uploaded to the cloud service with their apps.

They both also have a button to turn on privacy mode, where they completely stop listening.
bk is offline  
Thanks from:
16-11-2016, 14:44   #23
Kurn
Registered User
 
Kurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by degsie View Post
You mean fada on 'e'?
obviously
Kurn is offline  
16-11-2016, 15:02   #24
Kurn
Registered User
 
Kurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 738
Mine is very close to the TV, and interestingly, I noticed when the Amazon Echo ad comes on the telly, it listens when it hears its name, but then quickly stops when it hears the next line in the ad. I wonder they they program in this to ignore these ads.

Sad that I notice these things
Kurn is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-11-2016, 16:28   #25
adox
Registered User
 
adox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 17,600
On the Spotify thing, I do not have to say "on spotify" with my commands to get it to work. I have it set as my default source and dont have amazons music service.

I just say "play jazz" "play Christine And The Queens" etc and it plays them from Spotify.
adox is offline  
Thanks from:
17-11-2016, 20:25   #26
trevor1973
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 46
Thanks for the FAQ
trevor1973 is offline  
18-11-2016, 16:11   #27
JoeCole26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 309
Can I get alexa app for iPhone?

The Alexa app isn't available on the Irish Apple App Store, however it is reltivaly easy to temporarily change your app store to the UK App Store and download it from there after which you can change it back to the Irish app store.


Is this possible to do through your iPhone - any links on how to do it anywhere?

Thanks!
JoeCole26 is offline  
18-11-2016, 16:51   #28
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCole26 View Post
Can I get alexa app for iPhone?

The Alexa app isn't available on the Irish Apple App Store, however it is reltivaly easy to temporarily change your app store to the UK App Store and download it from there after which you can change it back to the Irish app store.


Is this possible to do through your iPhone - any links on how to do it anywhere?
Here:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...on-my-iphone-5

Also remember you go just use alexa.amamzon.co.uk in Safari if your change it to desktop mode, much easier option.
bk is offline  
Thanks from:
18-11-2016, 16:55   #29
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,569
So it turns out that I don't have to say "in Dublin" any more when asking for weather!

I can just ask it "What is the weather like?" or "Will I need an umbrella?" and she responds, "In Dublin, Ireland, the weather is ......".

Also Spotify is now working better I can just ask it (no need to say "on spotify" any more):

- Play Rock Music
- Play Greenday

However "Play Music" still doesn't work, I still have to say "Play Music on Spotify".

Some nice improvements.
bk is offline  
18-11-2016, 17:49   #30
givecredit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
However "Play Music" still doesn't work, I still have to say "Play Music on Spotify".

Some nice improvements.
Have you tried "resume Spotify" shorter...
givecredit is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet