Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Stop 90's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

In fairness, well done to the guys on their temporary expansion.
    As it says on their Facebook page:
    107.1 FM Dublin City & Country
    104.2 FM Across the North East (Dundalk/Drogheda)
    87.7 FM Across the North West (Sligo)
    6205 KHz SW Across Ireland & UK
    Smart phone apps.

Proper work and dedication being put in by these guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dxman105

Also on Medium Wave. Blaze of glory would be right

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

dxman105 wrote: »
    Also on Medium Wave. Blaze of glory would be right

99.5 NINETIES in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PL259

Why are so many stations relaying the 90s? There the reason there's been so much trouble over the last few months, All the other Dublin pirates are off today because of them. They got greedy and that's it in a nutshell.

When they came on air first they were great & doing something nobody else was doing.
    There downfall was when they changed the music policy to play songs that were played on mainstream radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

PL259 wrote: »
    Why are so many stations relaying the 90s? There the reason there's been so much trouble over the last few months, All the other Dublin pirates are off today because of them. They got greedy and that's it in a nutshell.

When they came on air first they were great & doing something nobody else was doing.
    There downfall was when they changed the music policy to play songs that were played on mainstream radio.

Wouldn't call it greed, more trying to get as much exposure to their cause as they can before they go off FM fully - which in fairness they do have a very good point to make... A number of stations (including Phantom) carried out a similar exercise in the immediate days after "Black Tuesday" back in 2003.

I don't think they're necessarily going about their whole cause the right way though... especially over on their Facebook page. Some very deliberately provoking posts against other stations and a fairly big ranting episode against some unknown radio station some weeks back (some of which has since been deleted).

That sort of carry on will really undermine their case if they do go before the BAI and ComReg and attempt to convince both that they're a professional operating outfit worthy of an FM license...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Hearing reports of Ninties on... Virgin Media!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

JDxtra wrote: »
    Hearing reports of Ninties on... Virgin Media!

Channel 935....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Infoanon wrote: »
    Channel 935....

Anyone able to get a picture of that. Brilliant !

So they got a visit last Friday from ComReg. I can't understand why 4FM give such a ****, there a multi city operator! If there caring about a pirate in Dublin, then I seriously worry for that station.

I'll be downloading the app and plugging it into the aux in the car, there music really is what I like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

Found the last 20 minutes very unprofessional for a professional set up. Sounded like they were throwing their toys from the pram. Then again I would say that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dxman105

I thought it was a brilliant way to go out. Things were kept very professional right up to the end. Nice to see passing mentions of other unlicenced operators and old 80s superpirates. They made these points but did not rant about it, it was done to a normal non anoraky audience. Jingles great until the very last. They have made Irish radio history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Found the last 20 minutes very unprofessional for a professional set up. Sounded like they were throwing their toys from the pram. Then again I would say that!!

Their closedown was no different to Novas in 83 or Kiss in 94 - I would not call those closedowns unprofessional ,respect was shown to Comreg and if offence was taken at the comment re the current classic hits thats unfortunate but perhaps their annoyance with said station is understandable ??

There were 2 comments in the last 20 minutes - one which would go over most listeners heads and the classic hits comment - unprofessional ? Not in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

A recording of the last few hours here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34071375/NSN_Final.mp3

Note: it's a copy of the online stream, which can suffer from some skipping (FM was not affected).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a brilliant close down, and the truth was spoken. i certainly had a huge smile on my face at the end.
    the station joins the list of pro pirates who brought something different to the air. hopefully it's listeners who would have listened via fm will continue to do so online where and when possible, and the lads will keep things going.
    they may have been got rid of from the fm but the people are waking up to the fact that they are being provided little to nothing of value by those stations moaning about the likes of non stop 90s.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Indie Dancer

Who was their American VO guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dublins anorak

I only got to listen back to the closedown now was unable on Monday what a finish To a very professional sounding station well done guys one of the best closedowns in recent years by Broadcasting in various locations around the country and worldwide frequencies what a great achievement. Mentioning some of the great stations of past and some of the poorest today radio in Dublin is like they said full of the same content with them all watching what each other are doing 90s in my option brought originality back to Dublin radio wish them all the best in the license application will listen to the app from here on in Definitely

They're still playing the closedown announcement on their online feed. Just heard it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Indie Dancer

Who was their American VO guy?

Anyone?

Well, nearly one week in. My god, the most boring week of radio. All pirates off, 2FM about the most I have listened to. Local radio in Dublin is awful. 4FM doesn't even come close to what 90s was. Suppose I will get my online fix :pac:

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well, nearly one week in. My god, the most boring week of radio. All pirates off, 2FM about the most I have listened to. Local radio in Dublin is awful. 4FM doesn't even come close to what 90s was. Suppose I will get my online fix :pac:

99.5 Kiss Fm on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Article by Enda Caldwell on thejournal.ie yesterday on the current state of Irish radio.

'Irish radio needs pirate stations - the rest are too middle-of-the-road' http://jrnl.ie/3063738

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Article by Enda Caldwell on thejournal.ie yesterday on the current state of Irish radio.

'Irish radio needs pirate stations - the rest are too middle-of-the-road' http://jrnl.ie/3063738

Now Non stop 90's Soulcity and TXFM are gone I'm tuning between Nova and 4fm trying to find something that isn't boring current gen music.
    Why is it that all stations take their ad breaks at the same time? Christ, radio is boring now.

Glazers Out!

FrostyJim wrote: »

a very good article. non stop 90s seems to have made people realise what they could have if things were different. a pirate showed the legals up to be rubbish again, as a number have done before it and will do again.

as i said before it is really unfortunate that everyone can't experience online radio. more creativity and diversity then you can shake a stick at. once you go to online radio you will never look back at the nothingness of licenced radio in ireland. i don't even own an fm radio and haven't since 2012, i don't even miss having one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I hear that the real reason they closed was because certain individuals in legal stations, frustrated that they were losing listeners to NS90s and by ComReg's lack of action, started reporting the station's proprietors to the revenue and to their daytime employers.

Some of these people were pirates themselves until relatively recently.

Poacher turned gamekeeper, is the phrase that springs to mind.

I hear that the real reason they closed was because certain individuals in legal stations, frustrated that they were losing listeners to NS90s and by ComReg's lack of action, started reporting the station's proprietors to the revenue and to their daytime employers.

I knew some of the legals were ranting but jesus that is an over reaction isn't it. i can't see these people's employers or revenue doing anything and rightly so.

Well, maybe, maybe not.

Revenue might have been told (I'm speculating) that certain individuals were earning extra income from the station.

Certain of them may be employed in jobs where an illegal activity would be incompatible with their position. I'm speculating again.

Stirring the sh1t, basically.

Was listening and heard Niall Boylan 4FM ripping of the backing music firstly used by AK and JD used on the phone show, get it off your chest.

I used to like 4FM and in particular Niall, nothing against Niall but I won't be listening to 4FM ever again to be honest, after there carry on with 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Sorry now but this is absolute bollocks.

Sorry now but this is absolute bollocks.

It's all true, I know the people involved in 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Rock Solid wrote: »
    It's all true, I know the people involved in 90s

It's not really credible.

That <unnamed licensed station> somehow found out where the 90s staff were working in their day jobs, phoned up and said "one of your employees is spending his free time at a pirate station".

That itself is not credible, what's even less credible is that the employers would care.

I'm annoyed that 90s is gone too, but this is nonsense.

• Advertisement

It's totally credible - it's no secret in radio circles who the main proponents of NS90s were.

And some employers do care that their employees are engaged in illegal activities, in case, for example, a possible prosecution might bring adverse publicity to them.

No stretch in credibility at all, especially as it's true.

Advertisement