Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,631 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Nicely done speech by Biden, such stark contrast between him and Trump, good and evil as such

He went to town on Trump and some nice pop shots

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Headshot wrote: »
    Nicely done speech by Biden, such stark contrast between him and Trump, good and evil as such

He went to town on Trump and some nice pop shots

Carried live on all the news channels as well, something that was severely lacking with Biden's other appearances over the last few days.

Trump has really set Biden's response to this up so easily for him, given that he has completely removed himself from any attempt to 'heal the nation'.

Does this look like a man who has dementia Biden

My fears about Biden are starting to fade after seeing this and you contrast it with how Trump is acting

https://twitter.com/chrislongview/status/1268252261534388225?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Foxtrol wrote: »
    My fears about Biden are starting to fade after seeing this and you contrast it with how Trump is acting

https://twitter.com/chrislongview/status/1268252261534388225?s=20

Nailed it.

Trump's hate can't counteract that. What's he gonna respond with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nailed it.

Probably name-calling and capital letters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Nailed it.

Probably get his gremlins at Fox News to find a still from a video of Biden where he is blinking and then "Hurhur Sleepy-Joe, he always sleeping hurhur"

That or break out one of the classics and call him Covfefe.

Future presidential debates will be interesting anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Some of the Fox News opinion polls should be very worrying for the republicans not just trump. The setnate republicans who are up will have to make a decision to break from trump even slightly if the polls don't improve. For example Biden and trump are in a statistical tie in Texas of all places with the election five months away. I don't think joe Biden is the perfect candidate but he is good enough and given the way the US is at the moment it may prove to be an excellent choice. Biden should just do what is required because trump is hurting himself without any help from the Biden campaign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's an election year, there's not a hope in hell the GOP will ditch Trump publicly, and the most you'll likely see is Romney or Murkowski tutting and feigning distaste. They've held their nose this long. Politics in the US are too partisan, too far gone for any party's members to deviate. Oh there'll be plenty of retroactive "I never did support him" once Trump's gone but for now? Naw, John McCain was the outlier here.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's an election year, there's not a hope in hell the GOP will ditch Trump publicly, and the most you'll likely see is Romney or Murkowski tutting and feigning distaste. They've held their nose this long. Politics in the US are too partisan, too far gone for any party's members to deviate. Oh there'll be plenty of retroactive "I never did support him" once Trump's gone but for now? Naw, John McCain was the outlier here.

I don't expect them to do it's publicly hence why I said even slightly. When it comes to the crunch let's be honest the GOP want their guy in the White House but they want to keep their seats in congress more IMO. So I'll agree they won't do it publicly but I can see those in vulnerable seats using the old "all politics is local" card if trump is sinking badly and making them look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes we saw that when the MSNBC reporter tried to interview any Republican senator the other day and not one would talk to her.

Republicans one and all are still behind Trump, even Romney refused to answer questions.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Yes we saw that when the MSNBC reporter tried to interview any Republican senator the other day and not one would talk to her.

Republicans one and all are still behind Trump, even Romney refused to answer questions.

They didn't exactly sound like they were fully behind him bar ted Cruz who after all trump said about his wife and father still supports trump for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That's the most amusing thing about Romney, Romney who voted to impeach, and remove the president for being unfit for office, isn't sure if he will be supporting him in November. It would almost make you laugh.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,950 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's the most amusing thing about Romney, Romney who voted to impeach, and remove the president for being unfit for office, isn't sure if he will be supporting him in November. It would almost make you laugh.

Could Romney be acting on big picture grounds?

If he were to state that he was not going to support Trump now, other GOP moderates (as much as they exist), might follow leading to a situation where the election might be all but a formality for a Biden win.

If that becomes clear in June, July, what is Trump going to do in the intervening months if he feels his 2nd term is being stolen from him.

I just typed there that he might incite civil war and I deleted it because it seems just too bizarre to say about a US President in 2020, but, look at where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Hopefully the likes of Romney and Bush are waiting until September or October to endorse, for maximum impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭eire4

Could Romney be acting on big picture grounds?

If he were to state that he was not going to support Trump now, other GOP moderates (as much as they exist), might follow leading to a situation where the election might be all but a formality for a Biden win.

If that becomes clear in June, July, what is Trump going to do in the intervening months if he feels his 2nd term is being stolen from him.

I just typed there that he might incite civil war and I deleted it because it seems just too bizarre to say about a US President in 2020, but, look at where we are.

I hate to say it but if it is close to November and it is clear he will not win it is certain IMHO the President is not just going to accept that and is liable to do anything at that point and inciting violence of one sort or another seems very likely given his behaviour to date and especially recently.

Well, he was hoping the protests would turn violent, to fulfil his 'Law and Order', deflect from Covid 19 play.
    He just got that wrong, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

GOP moderates
    No such thing.

There was at one time, but that time is long gone.

• Advertisement

Biden leading nationally by 14 points on latest CNN poll.

No doubt if election was held right now Biden would win and probably with bit to spare. Things could change by November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Biden leading nationally by 14 points on latest CNN poll.

No doubt if election was held right now Biden would win and probably with bit to spare. Things could change by November

They could change but its beginning to look very ugly for the GOP all across the board. I think Mitch would be happy to lose Trump and hold the senate atm.

The handling of the economic response to covid from the GOP in an election year has been astounding. This is a depression and they are beginning to chant the " balance the budget" type drivel....

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1268925065615355909

This is very clever from Biden. There has been a lot of radical ideas proposed by the Bernie wing of the party, these ideas possibly could be long term the way to go, but they would be death in the suburbs which will determine the election.

Biden won't ignore that the police needs a shake up, but also for his sake won't take advise from twitter how to implement such change. Biden knows well that the vast majority of Americans do like the police but obviously work needs to be done.

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1270026693386866688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Starting to think this is all happening too soon for biden he has established a lead in the polls now more down to trump hurting himself and keeping himself out of the limelight as much as possible. Once the debates and the campaigning starts trump will fly back up as like I mentioned Biden does better out of the spotlight add that in to the time trump has to get the economy back up and running and it only enhances his chances. 5 months is a long time for this to swing back the other way

Biden is older than Bill Clinton, who was president when I was a child. Ridiculous choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well Trump seems to be the best opposition to Trump ... Let him keep shooting his mouth off ,and getting in ridiculous arguments , at this rate all Biden has to do is shut up ,and not die .... ( I hope )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Biden is older than Bill Clinton, who was president when I was a child. Ridiculous choice really.
    As they say you can only beat what's in front of you. A Biden presidency would be one term and he'd be a useful interim POTUS to allow them to move forward on whatever they want the US to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

is_that_so wrote: »
    As they say you can only beat what's in front of you. A Biden presidency would be one term and he'd be a useful interim POTUS to allow them to move forward on whatever they want the US to be.

I'm old enough to remember Mitt Romney's father marching in protests; Biden will hopefully bring one thing to the US - calmness. Nixon was a dreadful guy, but riots in the late 60's weren't great, either. Nixon accomplished a lot on the world stage and was a much better candidate than his opponents in both elections, plus Humphrey had the Vietnam baggage. If Nixon hadn't lost control of his paranoia, who knows how he'd have been regarded had he lasted for his entire second term.

Chaos presidency has been emphatically proven not to work, because when there's a crisis - and there's *always* a crisis - tearing down everything means disaster. Successful businessmen don't make good political leaders; most shy away at it, because of two things in my view: 1, you have to be willing to sacrifice people for business ends, in the case of businessmen think "Neutron" Jack Welch, throwing money at things and firing people doesn't work when you're providing essential services like health care or safety. 2, most high level businessmen are more lucky than good. Michelle Obama's quote about being on lots of high-level corporate boards and unimpressed by your typical BOT member comes to mind. Trump's a classic 'lucky than good,' and he's actually not all that lucky, was born into wealth but cleverly managed to promote an image (fantasy) rather than a reality. I didn't learn till the other day that his TV show had been on for 14 years. Crazy.

Any more ridiculous than the opponent though? Surely nobody could claim so, particularly after watching the last 3.5 years of a **** show the guy 4(?) years younger than him has visited upon the US.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Igotadose wrote: »
    Nixon was a dreadful guy, but riots in the late 60's weren't great, either. Nixon accomplished a lot on the world stage and was a much better candidate than his opponents in both elections, plus Humphrey had the Vietnam baggage.

Funnily enough, the Russians interfered in that election too. Telling Hanoi to go with Johnsons peace talks. Nixon had a back channel to Saigon and told them to hold firm and defy Johnson with the peace talks until he (Nixon) got into office. Basically sabotaged the peace talks. Thats treason.
    Igotadose wrote: »
    If Nixon hadn't lost control of his paranoia, who knows how he'd have been regarded had he lasted for his entire second term.

One of the all time great presidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

It's a long way to November. Trump look dead and buried last time in Oct 2016 when the Access Hollywood tape of him groping women came out. And he was able to turn that around and win.

Biden's lead now could hurt him as Trump will see him as a threat.

I don't understand that, would he not see him as a threat anyway?

And what will he do if he sees him as a threat?

Tell lies about him? Trump up charges and Investigations into him and his family? Make up idiotic nicknames about him? Target him and his supporters via social media and attack ads that do not often pass the fact check screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think a mistake a lot of people keep making about Biden, is thinking he's out of step with the voters and backwards.

Take the defunding police thing - as far as I'm aware, public perceptions of police is actually positive, even in the African American community, and there's little support among the electorate for dramatic ground up reconstruction of the police force.

I've seen a few people online moaning about how Biden is as bad as Trump, or that's its some kind of disaster for democracy that he's the candidate, and to be fair, I doubt they're representative of Sanders supporters in general, and many of them are probably bots designed to depress the vote (on places like Our President, or other Bernie subs on reddit), but the point is that Biden has proven to be far closer to the general public in terms of his policies.

Banning private health insurance is wildly unpopular, as are some of the other more extreme positions coming from the left of the Democratic party, and while the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, I think Biden has handled the consolidation of the party incredibly well - far better than Clinton did, giving a platform to the left of the party, without alienating the majority of his support that don't actually agree with them much.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Comparing Biden to anyone except his direct opponent in a two horse race is a waste of time

If only people in the US instead of living in a perfection chasing world came to the realisation that it’s either Biden or Trump. There’s an incredible lack of distinction here between someone who may not tick all your boxes and someone who ticks none of them.

Perfection is the enemy of the good

The Nal wrote: »
    Funnily enough, the Russians interfered in that election too. Telling Hanoi to go with Johnsons peace talks. Nixon had a back channel to Saigon and told them to hold firm and defy Johnson with the peace talks until he (Nixon) got into office. Basically sabotaged the peace talks. Thats treason.

Is it good or bad that he did this though? Because your subsequent comment belies the treason charge!

One of the all time great presidents.

I don't think there's any doubt, amongst those of us who eat politics, of Nixon's true ranking and it will be appreciated and recorded in the fullness of time. He is a political collossus. And I've despaired when you see him being compared to Trump.

I think the closest we have in my life time to Nixon is Clinton. Unbelieveably flawed, but a political operative of such high calibre that they were able to achieve things thought beyond them.

Trump isn't even playing Junior B.

---

I've said in other posts on Boards on Nixon, look at how he accepted his defeat to JFK and the potential corruption therein.

Gbear wrote: »
    I think a mistake a lot of people keep making about Biden, is thinking he's out of step with the voters and backwards.

Take the defunding police thing - as far as I'm aware, public perceptions of police is actually positive, even in the African American community, and there's little support among the electorate for dramatic ground up reconstruction of the police force.

I've seen a few people online moaning about how Biden is as bad as Trump, or that's its some kind of disaster for democracy that he's the candidate, and to be fair, I doubt they're representative of Sanders supporters in general, and many of them are probably bots designed to depress the vote (on places like Our President, or other Bernie subs on reddit), but the point is that Biden has proven to be far closer to the general public in terms of his policies.

Banning private health insurance is wildly unpopular, as are some of the other more extreme positions coming from the left of the Democratic party, and while the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, I think Biden has handled the consolidation of the party incredibly well - far better than Clinton did, giving a platform to the left of the party, without alienating the majority of his support that don't actually agree with them much.

If I could thank this post twice I would. Bang on the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Gbear wrote: »

And that's exactly why Biden was needed in this race

He's the only one that can challenge Trump for
    those swing votesin the swing states where the election is won and lost.

Those swing voters are older, they are small c conservative and they are mainly white.

No one like Sanders or Warren would be getting anywhere near those votes.

And that's exactly why Biden was needed in this race...Those swing voters are older, they are small c conservative and they are mainly white.

No one like Sanders or Warren would be getting anywhere near those votes.
    That was the argument last time - that Hillary Clinton was needed to pick up white conservative voters.

It didn't work.

serfboard wrote: »
    That was the argument last time - that Hillary Clinton was needed to pick up white conservative voters.

It didn't work.

And she came within around a hundred thousand votes spread across a few states from winning the electoral college and won the popular vote.

What are you proposing to be a better route to take? Bernie has now twice failed in the primaries to energise this mysterious voting block he talks about. If they won't turn up in the primaries then there is no way enough will show up for the general election to negate the toxicity of that far left message.

Imagine Bernie right now as the candidate, he'd be relishing leaning hard into the 'Defund the Police' message and scaring away every suburban voter.

It didn't work.

Biden is far more liked in both sides though. Plenty had it in for her since she was first lady.

Biden is far more liked in both sides though. Plenty had it in for her since she was first lady.
    Don't disagree with that - just pointing out the flaw in the logic.

And in fact, alluding to something that Manic Moran said about Trump, both candidates in 2016 had low likeability/high unlikeability factors associated with them.

Biden does better on that score and I do think that he will win. Trump's base is not enough for victory and he is an known quantity now for undecideds.

It didn't work.

Media and Republicans made Clinton the most hated person on Earth though and that was before the final 2 weeks where places like NY Times ran her emails story on front page 12 out of the last 14 days. Even lifelong democratic voters like my aunt viewed her as awful by the end. They managed to make her more unpopular than Trump which was some achievement.

Clinton struggled in primary in the rust belt vs Sanders whereas Biden blew away Sanders in the same states Clinton either lost or just about clung on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It didn't work.

Well, it didn't work, but that didn't make the argument invalid. It could just be that she didn't do what she needed to do, pick up white conservative voters, hence she lost. Assuming that that was actually what she needed to do.

As you say in the later post, she had an incredibly high unfavourable polling as well, not conducive to picking up anything.

She didn't canvass the mid west states even when Bill told her to do it. Equally to Trump and GOP painting her in a bad light, she misjudged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Can we stop talking about swaying any swing voters?
    Victory for either side relies on bringing out your supporters to vote.
    If you're still voting for Trump at this point, there's not much that can happen to change that.
    I hope Biden wins in November. The big issue as has always been the case is if Democratic voters will turn out in enough numbers.
    Hopefully they will given that the alternative would be another 4 years of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Water John wrote: »
    She didn't canvass the mid west states even when Bill told her to do it. Equally to Trump and GOP painting her in a bad light, she misjudged.

This always gets thrown at Hillary but her losing Pennsylvania where she campaigned heavily gets omitted. I don't think her campaigning more in the mid west would have swung it.

You could be right. The GOP have two equal main strategies. One is to solidify their own vote and the second is to suppress the Dems vote.

It didn't work.

Not really.
    2016 was always going to be about Clinton, from the time she lost to Obama in 2008, 2016 was always the target.

Biden was never running in 2020 until he was persuaded to relatively late on.
    The higher ups in the Democrat party knew they were on a hiding to nowhere with Sanders or Warren as the potential nominee.

They needed someone like Biden to be less radical, to not scare away conservative Democrat and independent voters.

A very different scenario than Hillary in 2016.

vetinari wrote: »
    Can we stop talking about swaying any swing voters?
    Victory for either side relies on bringing out your supporters to vote.
    If you're still voting for Trump at this point, there's not much that can happen to change that.
    I hope Biden wins in November. The big issue as has always been the case is if Democratic voters will turn out in enough numbers.
    Hopefully they will given that the alternative would be another 4 years of Trump.

This is where the woman of colour comes in.

She should be able to attract urban blacks who turned out in numbers when there was a black candidate running in 2008 and 2012, but not so much in 2016.

I know it's racist situation because some black voters only turn out when there is a black candidate in the field, but that's racism in America for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭moon2

I know it's racist situation because some black voters only turn out when there is a black candidate in the field, but that's racism in America for you.

A likelier explanation is that a black candidate is viewed as being more likely to actually address issues facing black citizens, therefore they'll get a stronger turnout in black voters.

Trump has very clearly shown himself as someone who will do their utmost to worsen the status quo. Biden is also unlikely to be viewed as that beacon of hope.

So... no. It's not racism. Don't reduce all of the issues faced by African Americans, including the rampant voter supression, into a trite comment about them being racist due to low turnout.

With Trump now planning a rally in Tulsa, on Juneteenth, which shows a heretofore level of tonedeafedness, well, since yesterday I guess, does it seem to anyone else that he's trying to rally the base into such a fever that the election result becomes moot.

It's looking more and more unlikely that he'll win. So is his plan now to just go off the cliff edge of crazy and rally the troops for the "stolen election" in November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,959 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

vetinari wrote:
    Can we stop talking about swaying any swing voters? Victory for either side relies on bringing out your supporters to vote. If you're still voting for Trump at this point, there's not much that can happen to change that. I hope Biden wins in November. The big issue as has always been the case is if Democratic voters will turn out in enough numbers. Hopefully they will given that the alternative would be another 4 years of Trump.
    It's gonna come down to the debates. I can't believe trump can attack the sexual assault allegation given his own history so I think it just comes down to Biden not looking like a geriatric with dementia or Alzheimer's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement