Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone switched me over but forgot to give me a modern

Options
  • 05-06-2020 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

Moving from Eir to Vodafone broadband.

I get a text this evening to say is been switched to Vodafone.

At the same time my Eir broadband died. So I guess providing my UAN meant they knocked out my Eir access.

Vodafone haven't given me a modem yet.
    They say it should arrive Monday.

I've to work Monday from home.

Absolute clowns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Vodafone and Eir are neck in neck with each other for being the most incompetent, unhelpful and frustrating experience of any service provider going, not just telecoms.

I would avoid both if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

mathie wrote: »

At the same time my Eir broadband died. So I guess providing my UAN meant they knocked out my Eir access.

Absolute clowns.

Might be worth trying putting vodafone login details into the Eir box assuming it's on the same access line. No guarantees but worth a shot.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If your eir modem is still connected leave it as it is and your connection will stay on, no need for password or anything.

Just leave it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Absolute clowns.
    I'm waiting on replacement modem for 3 weeks from VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

westyIrl wrote: »
    Might be worth trying putting vodafone login details into the Eir box assuming it's on the same access line. No guarantees but worth a shot.

Jim

Thanks Jim

I tried to login to the Eir modem with Vodafone@vodafone.ie with password broadband but I can't get in.

Vodafone said to contact Eir about making their modem accessible but I can't get through to them.

Thanks
    M

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    If your eir modem is still connected leave it as it is and your connection will stay on, no need for password or anything.

Just leave it as it is.

The internet light on the Eir modern is red.
    Their Vodafone technician tried some things on his end and he said it'd turn red within a few minutes.
    Needless to say it's still red hours later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Thanks Jim

I tried to login to the Eir modem with Vodafone@vodafone.ie with password broadband but I can't get in.

Vodafone said to contact Eir about making their modem accessible but I can't get through to them.

Thanks
    M

The login details for the Eir modem is on the back

You need to change the pppoe connection details to Vodafone@vodafone.ie password broadband

The internet light on the Eir modern is red.
    Their Vodafone technician tried some things on his end and he said it'd turn red within a few minutes.
    Needless to say it's still red hours later.

The Eir modem password is admin and the password is on a sticker on the back.

Don't think you are going to get anywhere unless you have ADSL - Vodafone uses individual credentials for their FTTC/FTTH services based on modem serial number. You'd need to know the serial number of your modem for it to have any hope of working - not much good in your current situation of course!

KildareP wrote: »

Don't think you are going to get anywhere unless you have ADSL - Vodafone uses individual credentials for their FTTC/FTTH services based on modem serial number. You'd need to know the serial number of your modem for it to have any hope of working - not much good in your current situation of course!

I have a green DSL light on my modem if that's what you mean?

It's an Eir f1000 modem.

I can login to it with admin but don't know what to change to make it work with Vodafone.

Thanks for the help.

You need to change the pppoe connection details to Vodafone@vodafone.ie password broadband

How do I do that?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Ok I think I found that
    https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=012995&lang=EN

I added new wan interface then tried to login with that and it won't let me in.

I have a green DSL light on my modem if that's what you mean?

It's an Eir f1000 modem.

I can login to it with admin but don't know what to change to make it work with Vodafone.

Thanks for the help.

Green DSL light means there is a connection there.

Red internet light means it is not accepting the username or password your modem is sending to log onto that connection. That's the issue.

Your modem has a setting under Internet that will have a username and password field there. Ordinarily it's set by your ISP when they ship the modem to you so you never need to go near it (usually). This is not the username/password to get into the modem itself or for the WiFi.

Eir uses generic details for everyone.
    Vodafone uses each modem's individual serial number to make up the username bit.

Thus there is nothing you can do here unfortunately as the only way to know what details you would need to update for your internet to start working again is to have your Vodafone modem in front of you.

I don't even think having someone else's Vodafone modem will help as I don't think it will allow the same username/password combination to log on twice.

Green DSL light means there is a connection there.

Red internet light means it is not accepting the username or password your modem is sending to log onto that connection. That's the issue.

Your modem has a setting under Internet that will have a username and password field there. Ordinarily it's set by your ISP when they ship the modem to you so you never need to go near it (usually). This is not the username/password to get into the modem itself or for the WiFi.

Eir uses generic details for everyone.
    Vodafone uses each modem's individual serial number to make up the username bit.

Thus there is nothing you can do here unfortunately as the only way to know what details you would need to update for your internet to start working again is to have your Vodafone modem in front of you.

I don't even think having someone else's Vodafone modem will help as I don't think it will allow the same username/password combination to log on twice.

Many thanks for this.

That could be the issue, I switch between eir and sky fttc every year and the router just keeps the connection, no need to do anything.

If Vodafone does that then apologies for my advice to the op, just leaving it on won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

wonski, dont sky use their own router??? Or do you keep both routers and swop them over??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

westyIrl wrote: »

Jim

Yes will work, did this a few months back, OP will at least have data. No phone though.

Vodafone sales guy omitted that their phone service was Voip only.

Had the same issue with Vodafone myself early March. Many phone calls and eventually got the modem over two weeks after switching over.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

323 wrote: »
    Yes will work, did this a few months back, OP will at least have data. No phone though.

Vodafone sales guy omitted that their phone service was Voip only.

Had the same issue with Vodafone myself early March. Many phone calls and eventually got the modem over two weeks after switching over.

Did you put someone else's details in and it worked? Interested to know if it will take the same details off two modems at the same time.

Did you put someone else's details in and it worked? Interested to know if it will take the same details off two modems at the same time.

I changed provider from Vodafone last year where I was using an f2000 as modem with my own router. The new provider gave me the new pppoe details (I know him personally) which I added to my router right away and worked with Vodafone. A week later my connection migrated with a just a few seconds downtime.

I changed provider from Vodafone last year where I was using an f2000 as modem with my own router. The new provider gave me the new pppoe details (I know him personally) which I added to my router right away and worked with Vodafone. A week later my connection migrated with a just a few seconds downtime.

Are you on ADSL? The vodafone system will not take credentials that are not valid for their system on VDSL or FTTH service.

Are you on ADSL? The vodafone system will not take credentials that are not valid for their system on VDSL or FTTH service.

VDSL, I changed last year and was using a different provider credentials for a week before migration

Just checked, first invoice is dated June 2019

• Advertisement

VDSL, I changed last year and was using a different provider credentials for a week before migration

Something doesn't add up!

On that basis the OP's existing eircom modem would be working if vodafone were to take any provider's credentials.

One thing that has sprung to mind:
    Eir use IPoE by default for VDSL
    Vodafone use PPPoE only

If the Eir modem was changed from IPoE to PPPoE and any credentials entered then it might work for a Vodafone line.

My understanding and expectation though is it will not. A Vodafone VDSL/FTTH line will only take valid Vodafone credentials.

One thing that has sprung to mind:
    Eir use IPoE by default for VDSL
    Vodafone use PPPoE only

If the Eir modem was changed from IPoE to PPPoE and any credentials entered then it might work for a Vodafone line.

My understanding and expectation though is it will not. A Vodafone VDSL/FTTH line will only take valid Vodafone credentials.

My Eir f2000 modem is bridged. I've only ever used pppoe on my own router with any provider on VDSL

swoofer wrote: »
    wonski, dont sky use their own router??? Or do you keep both routers and swop them over??

I don't even swap them. Currently on eir, but with sky router connected. Eir boxed up and will be sent back as soon as I switch over to sky again.

Sky don't ask for routers back. Eir does.

A bit ot anyway ;)

Advertisement