Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire pit recommendation

Options
  • 20-05-2020 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭

We’re looking at getting a fire pit so we can sit out of an evening and not keep shivering.

Anyone got a one that they would recommend or not, as the case maybe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Just made one the other day - the budget was €15 so might not be the prettiest but works and it can be strimmed without damage.
    20200520_134010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've been thinking about this lately.

I suspect the worst performing pits are the shallow bowl-shaped ones. They look pretty but all the heat is reflected upwards, which is no use in Ireland.

So I reckon something closer to an oil drum would work best, where there's a decent surface area of hot metal radiating outwards at the people.

Re-purposed washing machine drum?

Washingdrumfirepit1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Lumen wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this lately.

I suspect the worst performing pits are the shallow bowl-shaped ones. They look pretty but all the heat is reflected upwards, which is no use in Ireland.

So I reckon something closer to an oil drum would work best, where there's a decent surface area of hot metal radiating outwards at the people.

Re-purposed washing machine drum?

Washingdrumfirepit1.jpg

Yea my other half got one of those shallow bowl shaped pits last week. The heat it produced was negligible and the smoke was a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Got it going again tonight - a few logs of bone dry thorn, half bottle of red and venus twinkling in the west - bliss.
    20200520_215523.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

IMG-20200502-WA0006.jpeg

A spare stainless steel beer barrel

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My folks bought one like this the other week.

98347065_116746146704732_7340161772436848640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=31RQUJ39qp0AX8coXt9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=25dc2233734f2183d4afb9fee3156151&oe=5EEA1B3F

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^^^

Hmmmm, interesting. Looks great and the chimney effect would mean no smoke in your eyes. Do you know if it throws out much heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

^^^

Hmmmm, interesting. Looks great and the chimney effect would mean no smoke in your eyes. Do you know if it throws out much heat?

I have the Aldi version of the above and it's shíte.
    The whole fire setup is wrong, with a shallow bowl in the fireplace but no grate so very quickly the fire is sitting in ash.

Also very poor seam welds that have already popped.

My summer project will be a repurposed beer keg, or old steel car wheel.

banie01 wrote: »
    I have the Aldi version of the above and it's shíte.
    The whole fire setup is wrong, with a shallow bowl in the fireplace but no grate so very quickly the fire is sitting in ash.

Also very poor seam welds that have already popped.

My summer project will be a repurposed beer keg, or old steel car wheel.

We're very lucky to know 'a Man who makes all things metal'. We like the design but it obviously needs to be modified to make it work. Will talk to him and see what he can do. Watch this space.......:D

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

^^^

I can ask. They got theirs from a guy who makes them rather than from a shop. I suspect it has a grate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

banie01 wrote: »
    with a shallow bowl in the fireplace but no grate so very quickly the fire is sitting in ash.
    it's usually said that wood burns better in a bed of its own ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

it's usually said that wood burns better in a bed of its own ash.

I'd agree in a stove, yes.
    Not so much in an open fire IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

I made my own with fire bricks, some gravel and a BBQ charcoal grate. Worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ordered one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07MQVBJKV/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41B97wkfBGL._AC_SY400_.jpg

€155.58 delivered.

It's also available on done deal for twice the price :pac:

So my Man Who Makes Things Out of Metal just dropped this off. Going to fire it up later but delighted with it so far. :)

EE5-F63-DF-8-C59-4-C31-BFCF-A4-AC5-CA2-D477.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

So my Man Who Makes Things Out of Metal just dropped this off. Going to fire it up later but delighted with it so far. :)

EE5-F63-DF-8-C59-4-C31-BFCF-A4-AC5-CA2-D477.jpg

That looks amazing, your Mam is very talented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Firepits NI on Facebook and that are genuine engineering business. A lot of people up my direction have got theirs and seem very happy with product.

I’ve no affiliation to them just know my parents got one and happy with it. I believe they have a few distribution centres now not sure if any in ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I had a few bags of sand and cement and a lot of stones lying about, so I made this.
    Repurposed an old BBQ that has heading for the skip.

https://imgur.com/gallery/BxYPejX

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Timfy

Head off to the scrapyard and find yourself the drum out of an old washing machine...
    MPmKd0r.jpg

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Advertisement