Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato blight?

Options
  • 26-05-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi there,
    we grew some potatoes in a bag and this week some of the leaves are turning black/brown dying, I thought maybe it wind burn from storm Friday? But not so sure, is it blight? Will try attach photo. If you know what it is, how do I treat? Thanks

cant seem to attach pic sorry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

try funkyimg.com as a host

As a rule blight is white spores until the damage is done then you get brown/dark blue/grey with edging. Look underneath the leaves for evidence of spores. The leaves also tend to "rip" and develop holes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭daheff

if its blight the best thing to do is to cut off the stalks that are effected. put them in your bin and get rid that way. Hope it hasnt spread then.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I was wondering whether it was blight weather this week, particularly Friday in the NW, it’s meant to get very hot with thundery showers, I can imagine that muggy weather would be conducive to it? But no warnings on Met.ie bar for south Munster early this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/9259/UI0wXt.jpg

At last a photo of whats going on...is this blight? Unusual for this time of year?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We had a hard frost a few weeks ago. Probably damaged the leaves

• Advertisement

thanks everyone for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Looking at the forecast i think we should be spraying tomorrow or Friday.Surprised there are no blight warnings up yet...

"Outbreaks of rain will continue to edge northwestwards over the country on
    Friday night, with clearer conditions following from the southeast overnight. Northeasterly winds easing and becoming light east to southeast overnight. A humid night, with lows of 10 to 13 degrees.

Saturday: Remaining rain in the west and north soon clearing in the morning to leave a mix of sunny spells and showers. Some of the showers will be heavy and possibly thundery. Light to moderate easterly breezes. Highs of 18 to 22 degrees.

Sunday: Another day of sunny spells and showers, with the potential for heavy and possibly thundery downpours with hail. Top temperatures 16 to 21 degrees in light to moderate easterly or variable breezes.

Early next week: Humid, with temperatures trending near or slightly above average into the early days of next week, but the rather mixed and changeable conditions look set to continue. Sunny spells will occur in most parts, but showers are likely too, thundery in places with some longer spells of rain. "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

hawkwing wrote: »
    Looking at the forecast i think we should be spraying tomorrow or Friday.Surprised there are no blight warnings up yet...

"Outbreaks of rain will continue to edge northwestwards over the country on
    Friday night, with clearer conditions following from the southeast overnight. Northeasterly winds easing and becoming light east to southeast overnight. A humid night, with lows of 10 to 13 degrees.

Saturday: Remaining rain in the west and north soon clearing in the morning to leave a mix of sunny spells and showers. Some of the showers will be heavy and possibly thundery. Light to moderate easterly breezes. Highs of 18 to 22 degrees.

Sunday: Another day of sunny spells and showers, with the potential for heavy and possibly thundery downpours with hail. Top temperatures 16 to 21 degrees in light to moderate easterly or variable breezes.

Early next week: Humid, with temperatures trending near or slightly above average into the early days of next week, but the rather mixed and changeable conditions look set to continue. Sunny spells will occur in most parts, but showers are likely too, thundery in places with some longer spells of rain. "

I was just coming on to answer that question. I had hoped to avoid spraying but I'd rather spray them than lose them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

New potato grower. Spray with what?
    Is it too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Clarabel wrote: »
    New potato grower. Spray with what?
    Is it too late?

New potato grower here too so I'm not too sure what's best to use but I was planning on using this:

https://www.homeland.ie/farming/grassland/sprays-weedkillers/77469/dithane-2kg

• Advertisement

Was wondering about this as well. I have nothing to hand as protection and not sure if it's worth bothering given they are earlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

warning is up now :
    Blight Warning

Weather conditions conducive to the spread of potato blight will occur this weekend.
    Issued:
    Wednesday 10 June 2020 23:00

• Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just occurs to me, would potatoes grown in plastic bags be more susceptible to blight than grown in open ground? Mine are in the ground on a particularly draughty hillside garden so I'm hoping they make it, I don't have anything to spray them with and would prefer not to anyway.

Just sprayed this evening. They look like they are turning a bit yellow, is this normal or am I too late?

516161.jpeg

Bump for this, anyone got any obvious signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

All looks good here sprayed friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Just sprayed this evening. They look like they are turning a bit yellow, is this normal or am I too late?

516161.jpeg

Typically they wouldn't go yellow with blight, you want to watch out for brown spots. Are they earlies or main crop? Have they flowered yet?

Hi pconn062, thanks for your reply! To be honest I don’t know if they’re early or main crop. The seed potatoes belonged to my late father and I kept them after he passed and have been growing them for the last 3 years. So I have very little experience! I planted them early April and planned to harvest in August, so I guess I’m treating them as main crop? They haven’t flowered yet but are developing buds. They all have this yellow tinge, maybe due to nutrient deficiency then? I sprayed on Friday so apart from the yellowing they look fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

I never spray my potatoes and hope for the best usually get away with it but got caught a few times and had to buy them in the shop in Autumn, herself said they were they best potatoes I ever grew

Ideally I’d love not to spray. I’m all for organic as far as possible but since they have a sentimental connection with my Dad I would hate to loose them to blight!

• Advertisement

Ideally I’d love not to spray. I’m all for organic as far as possible but since they have a sentimental connection with my Dad I would hate to loose them to blight!

Same, hate spraying tbh..you can get an organic spray but out of stock everywhre and theres the copper sulphate and washing soda mix too...i had to use the chemical spray but hope to get the others asap.
    Anyway..greatful for met eireann and these threads - great help!!

Advertisement