Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a company

Options
  • 04-06-2020 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

What is the best way to set up a company in Ireland? Use one of the companies that do all the work for you for €99 or so or do it yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Ive used the startuphub a few times. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Thanks Neil, I was just going to edit my post to ask if anyone can recommend a company if that is the route they advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Thanks Neil, I was just going to edit my post to ask if anyone can recommend a company if that is the route they advise.

Just make sure you file returns yearly, even if you didn't trade.
    I know a couple of people caught out on this with penalties heaping up over two years.

Triangle wrote: »
    Just make sure you file returns yearly, even if you didn't trade.
    I know a couple of people caught out on this with penalties heaping up over two years.

I actually started another thread in the taxation forum about this.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058083948

I was looking at the startuphub, seems like a simple process. Other companies offer services such as company secretary etc. Are these worth going for now? At the minute the company will not be trading, I just need to set it up to deal with service providers. Is the basic package all I need for now? Can I change this later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 MyTax Ireland

I was looking at the startuphub, seems like a simple process. Other companies offer services such as company secretary etc. Are these worth going for now? At the minute the company will not be trading, I just need to set it up to deal with service providers. Is the basic package all I need for now? Can I change this later?

If it's a one person director company you'll need someone (or a company) to act as a secretary. If you have multiple directors, one of them or someone you trust can act as secretary.

You probably don't need a Company Secretary if someone else can act as one.

To an above point, your first Annual Return is 6 months from Incorporation. Best not miss this.

Thanks,
    My-tax Ireland

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

What is the best way to set up a company in Ireland? Use one of the companies that do all the work for you for €99 or so or do it yourself?

Are you likely to be needing the services of an accountant? Assuming you are then most will look after the company formation for you also so perhaps look to find a good accountant and let them look after it for you instead of paying a formations company for that one service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Soup Dragon

Black Edelweiss, did you form a company?

If so who did you use or how did you decide to go about it?

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

If a company is set up with 2 directors can one of these directors also be the company secretary or must it be an independent person?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

jams100 wrote: »
    If a company is set up with 2 directors can one of these directors also be the company secretary or must it be an independent person?

Yes, one of the directors can be the company secretary

• Advertisement
Advertisement