Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to figure out if I can get DHW from my boiler?

• 04-06-2020 9:38am

Hi,

Just moved into a new house and I'm trying to get my head around the heating system.

The boiler looks new enough, maybe 3 years old, with a digital display on the front (Glow worm brand). The user manual which was lying around says you can choose modes of heating, DHW, or both.

When I have it set to DHW + heating, the hot water tank fills up and heating comes on. When I set it to just DHW, the boiler doesn't ignite at all.

Am I missing something here or does the boiler just not actually do DHW? Theres only one outflow water pipe so I'm guessing theres no way it reasonably could provide DHW without the heating being on too. The tank has immersion so we're not without hot water, but I'd much prefer if we could use the gas.

If anyone can decipher this I'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Most system boilers have then DHW buttons on them but actually arent combi boilers.
    If it was a combi boiler you would not have a hot water cylinder in the hot press..
    When you say it's a new house what it built after 2006? If it was, the programmer should be a 2 or a 3 zone programmer where you could heat the hot water tank separately from heating the radiators..
    What type of programmer have to to turn on the boiler?

Most system boilers have then DHW buttons on them but actually arent combi boilers.
    If it was a combi boiler you would not have a hot water cylinder in the hot press..
    When you say it's a new house what it built after 2006? If it was, the programmer should be a 2 or a 3 zone programmer where you could heat the hot water tank separately from heating the radiators..
    What type of programmer have to to turn on the boiler?
    Ah okay that makes sense, it must just not be a combi boiler. The modes can be selected directly on the boiler but theres also an external digital console that includes timers etc.

It's a new house to me but it's actually very old itself - 1950s. The paths of the pipes seem a bit mad so I have to suspect its had countless changes over the years without ever really being fully overhauled.

Once services are back up and running we'll be getting the tank changed but there isn't much money we can put into it. I'll keep it on the long finger for the next couple years.

Thanks very much for the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

No problem at all. If your planning to bring your house to to today's standard with energy efficiency and increase your comfort levels looks at the seai web site they will give Grant's out to all houses that were built before 2006. The Grant's covered are attic and wall insulation, solar pv and thermal, heat pumps and also for heating controls. might help with your future plans.

Advertisement