Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal problem

Options
  • 14-05-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I booked a stand at the ideal home show in Dublin
    For April .3 day show cost €1900
    Show was postponed to July this was postponed again to October
    I asked for full refund as I booked for April
    They say it was postponed so I not entitled to refund
    I told them I not available to attend show in October
    They then said that ok that I can attend show in 2021
    They still won’t refund the €1900
    If I booked for April and show did not go ahead
    Due to virus
    This was not my fault
    Any help will help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What does the contract you signed say about postponing/cancellation?

They will be very reluctant to refund you your money unless they are pressed into it. You could try the small claims court but the result will be dictated by the contract you signed.

Been thinking about this.....

The exhibitor may have written in their contract the ability to postpone the date of the event, for whatever reason but the contract may also have cancellation deadlines and penalties eg if you cancel within 3 months of the event you lose 100% but if you cancel 9 months in advance of the event then it maybe 25%.

They’ve moved the event so your cancellation deadlines have changed.

Might be a way to get some money back.....

Just spotted this thread in the travel forum helping people using the small claims court to get refunds from airlines. It may be helpful to you, especially the bit - if they don’t respond within 14 days then you automatically win!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058075885/1

Also be careful to use the correct trading name on the form. What name does it say on the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

SCC is of no use as this is a business contract.

However they have cancelled the show as they have an autumn show anyway and have had an autumn one for the past few years. So the April event is cancelled

I'd write to them and request a full refund and saying that you'd hope that it will not require the involvement of solicitors

silver2020 wrote: »
    SCC is of no use as this is a business contract.

However they have cancelled the show as they have an autumn show anyway and have had an autumn one for the past few years. So the April event is cancelled

I'd write to them and request a full refund and saying that you'd hope that it will not require the involvement of solicitors

According to citizensinformation.ie

‘Businesses can make claims against other businesses in relation to contracts for goods or services purchased. It does not apply to claims in relation to:

Agreements to which the Consumer Credit Act 1995 applies
    Breaches of leasing agreements
    Debt or liquidated damages‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Gabbygabby1

What does the contract you signed say about postponing/cancellation?

They will be very reluctant to refund you your money unless they are pressed into it. You could try the small claims court but the result will be dictated by the contract you signed.

I have sent a other email again asking for full refund
    As I booked for the ideal home show for April 17/18/19 2020
    Not for July
    Not for October
    Or not for shows in 2021
    Plus by error on the email which was not meant to be sent to me but to one of there employees
    It said I don’t think we should reply as he been aggressive and has sent a copy of the booking form
    This was sent by error
    I have sent a other emailI requestion full refund
    If I don’t hear from yourselfs by end of week
    I will take legal advise and let them look after this problem
    They keep saying about conditions and contract
    If anybody has advice

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Rule 5 of the charter:

5. Legal Advice
    Do not ask for Legal Advice here. Consult your Solicitor.

At this stage, you have been given a few options. If you do not hear back from them after your last email then your best option may be to seek proper legal advice on how to proceed.

I am closing this thread to any further discussion or potential legal advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement