Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-04-2020, 08:40   #1
magicbastarder

Covid-19 crisis will wipe out demand for fossil fuels, says IEA

Renewable electricity may be only source to withstand biggest shock in 70 years
Renewable electricity will be the only source resilient to the biggest global energy shock in 70 years triggered by the coronavirus pandemic, according to the world’s energy watchdog.

The International Energy Agency said the outbreak of Covid-19 would wipe out demand for fossil fuels by prompting a collapse in energy demand seven times greater than the slump caused by the global financial crisis.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...le-electricity
Advertisement
04-05-2020, 13:22   #2
DaCor

I think any dip will be short term only, if govt's don't take this opportunity to change how their cities move.

If the status quo is maintained, then its only a matter of time until its all back to normal
04-05-2020, 13:28   #3
Harry Palmr

Not sure about a big bang moment but this will in concert with wider trends drop carbon from the first tier of power supply to the second.

If I were a Warren Buffet type I'd certainly be divesting myself of stocks in carbon exploration linked companies and buying carbon sequestration in various forms.
04-05-2020, 13:31   #4
malinheader

I hope they let businesses get back up running into a bit of normality before they start imposing measures which I know probably need to and will happen are inforced .
But it's going to be tough enough for alot of businesses to get back to where they were before this

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion