Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hanlon, Duggan, Tracy, Gaffney all scored... I know it's only a friendly but probably shouldn't be conceding 2 goals to Ringmahon.

What kind of first-choice team do people expect to see?
    Ryan
    Kelly Oji Folan Williams
    O'Leary
    Nzuzi Duggan
    Galbraith Gaffney Curran

With Cusack, Costello, Leahy, Tracy, Hughes, Rainsford, Hanlon/Coughlan as a first-choice bench.

It's not bad... maybe short on an attacking option or two, but I think we'll be better than last year as long as we don't get any major injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Jofspring

O'Leary is 95% gone so its probably going to be between Rainsford, Hughes and Tracy for the last midfield position.

We need another midfielder and striker but i'd say we might only bring in one more striker if we can and wouldn't be surprised not to see anyone else come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hanlon, Duggan, Tracy, Gaffney all scored... I know it's only a friendly but probably shouldn't be conceding 2 goals to Ringmahon.

What kind of first-choice team do people expect to see?
    Ryan
    Kelly Oji Folan Williams
    O'Leary
    Nzuzi Duggan
    Galbraith Gaffney Curran

With Cusack, Costello, Leahy, Tracy, Hughes, Rainsford, Hanlon/Coughlan as a first-choice bench.

It's not bad... maybe short on an attacking option or two, but I think we'll be better than last year as long as we don't get any major injuries.

Nzuzi right back for kelly. Kelly looked out of his depth last year at times whereas towards the end of the season Nzuzi looked like a world beater.

Probably be Tracy duggan and hughes as the trio in midfield. Hughes energy will make up for Tracys lack of running, not that Tracy is lazy just that his legs go

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Iang87 wrote: »
    Nzuzi right back for kelly. Kelly looked out of his depth last year at times whereas towards the end of the season Nzuzi looked like a world beater.

Probably be Tracy duggan and hughes as the trio in midfield. Hughes energy will make up for Tracys lack of running, not that Tracy is lazy just that his legs go

What when?

Nzuzi will be playing in midfield this season for sure.

Told yesterday too that Danny Galbraith has not really trained yet this pre-season also Barry Ryan is in hospital at the moment.

• Advertisement

Also if anyone is interested line-up in game yesterday was

Cusack

Kelly Oji Whitehead Williams

Nzuzi
    Hughes Duggan

Tracy Coughlan
    Hanlon

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Kelly had one terrible game (the 3-2 win at home to Dundalk) and was between decent and excellent most of the year last season.

O'Leary was actually at the game in Cork yesterday (on the sideline watching as opposed to in the dugout).

No sign of Folan or Leahy yet in pre-season either as well as Galbraith.

Ya the injury list at the moment seems to be, Folan, Leahy, Curran, Galbraith with Gaffney just back and Barry Ryan in hospital as mentioned above.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya the injury list at the moment seems to be, Folan, Leahy, Curran, Galbraith with Gaffney just back and Barry Ryan in hospital as mentioned above.

Craig is back training now he was telling me yesterday so that is some good news.

O'Leary is 95% gone so its probably going to be between Rainsford, Hughes and Tracy for the last midfield position.

We need another midfielder and striker but i'd say we might only bring in one more striker if we can and wouldn't be surprised not to see anyone else come in.

Where's O'Leary going?

Would be a big blow... we'd have to replace him really. No chance of Galbraith being played through the middle in certain matches? Most of his best football is done through the middle imo, he's not particularly good at crossing, but he is good at through balls for the likes of Gaffney to run onto.

Obviously doesn't do much defensively in comparison but with Duggan and Nzuzi behind him, it could work. Not a fan of Tracy in midfield. Hughes is decent, but not as good as O'Leary.

Would like a pacy strike option, someone who can play wide right/up front- like Axel last year. Would like to see Rainsford get played on the wing more, he's much better when he runs at people- has huge strength and pace.

• Advertisement

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    What when?

Nzuzi will be playing in midfield this season for sure.

Kelly was awful at the start of the season, consistently caught out. Never seemed up to the pace of early on. Got a bit better after the break but by no means was brilliant all and to say he only had one bad game is astounding.

I thought we were at our best by far when Nzuzi played right back williams played left back and oji and folan in the middle

O'Leary is supposed to be off to Shamrock Rovers.

Nzuzi is probably a better right full going on his end of season performances but he is going to be needed for centre mid. I think Kelly will do a fine job with a settled back 4. All our defenders were getting caught out at one stage or another because we had to chop and change so much.

As long as we can ease Folan out of the first team picture we'll be fine.

Kelly was awful at the start of the season, consistently caught out. Never seemed up to the pace of early on. Got a bit better after the break but by no means was brilliant all and to say he only had one bad game is astounding.

I thought we were at our best by far when Nzuzi played right back williams played left back and oji and folan in the middle

I'm not the one who said he only had one bad game but I think that is a much fairer assessment then what you are giving tbh. Dunno what you were watching if you think Kelly was that poor all about opinions but I think yours is miles off. Not saying Kelly is perfect but its not like Nzuzi wasn't caught at times either.

We were our best by far when those played for one reason mainly and that is Sam Oji.

O'Leary is supposed to be off to Shamrock Rovers.

Nzuzi is probably a better right full going on his end of season performances but he is going to be needed for centre mid. I think Kelly will do a fine job with a settled back 4. All our defenders were getting caught out at one stage or another because we had to chop and change so much.

I like Nzuzi in midfield from what little we saw. He was very good at right-back at the end of the season... he really grew into the league, I think, was a bit of a liability at the start but by the end, he was one of our best performers.

As for Kelly, I think he's generally pretty solid... I just wish he'd attack more. He has pace, he's able to cross, and when he does get forward, he can do damage... too often, he'd be content to stay back around the halfway line. Nzuzi does at least attempt to get forward.

I'm not the one who said he only had one bad game but I think that is a much fairer assessment then what you are giving tbh. Dunno what you were watching if you think Kelly was that poor all about opinions but I think yours is miles off. Not saying Kelly is perfect but its not like Nzuzi wasn't caught at times either.

We were our best by far when those played for one reason mainly and that is Sam Oji.

Ah you're overlooking just how good Nzuzi was towards the end. Kelly was poor to start I really dont see how you can think otherwise. He didnt play the first few weeks through suspension afaik and when he started he wasnt very good. Got better as the season went on not to the point i'd have him start ahead of Nzuzi at Full back but if Nzuzi is to play midfield then he is defintely more than capable of playing well there

Ah you're overlooking just how good Nzuzi was towards the end. Kelly was poor to start I really dont see how you can think otherwise. He didnt play the first few weeks through suspension afaik and when he started he wasnt very good. Got better as the season went on not to the point i'd have him start ahead of Nzuzi at Full back but if Nzuzi is to play midfield then he is defintely more than capable of playing well there

Nzuzi was poor when he first started too tbh. I think Kelly had far more good games then he did bad so I found your criticism of him over the top. I'm not saying Nzuzi wasn't good at the end him and Oji were the first two I wanted re-signed tbh.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I think if we get a decent striker in then we have a better squad then last season not by loads but better.
    A bench of Cusack,Costelloe,Leahy,Rainsford,Hughes,Coughlan,Decent striker is better then what we had last season.

I think where most will disagree with me is my view that Nzuzi,Duggan and Tracy are a stronger midfield 3 then Bradley,Gamble and O'Leary.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I think if we get a decent striker in then we have a better squad then last season not by loads but better.
    A bench of Cusack,Costelloe,Leahy,Rainsford,Hughes,Coughlan,Decent striker is better then what we had last season.

I think where most will disagree with me is my view that Nzuzi,Duggan and Tracy are a stronger midfield 3 then Bradley,Gamble and O'Leary.

We'd have to see it in action to judge. But as I've said before, I really don't think Tracy is a central midfielder, he didn't impress there last year... when it was him, O'Leary and Gamble in the middle; he was probably the least effective of the three.... bar his set-pieces which were obviously class.

We'll miss O'Leary's set-pieces too.

I'd probably start Jason Hughes ahead of Shane Tracy if it were up to me. He's a lot more mobile for starters. Based on what we have at the moment and presuming everybody is fit and we stick with the same system I'd probably line out with:

Ryan

Kelly
    Leahy
    Oji
    Williams

Hughes
    Duggan
    Nzuzi/Tracy

Galbraith
    Curran
    Gaffney

• Advertisement

It would probably depend on the game for me. Tracy is more technically astute than Hughes but as you say Hughes will get around the pitch much better so depending on whats needed will have a big say.

The one reason I have gone off Tracy at left full is his pace. Robbie Williams is no speedster but has the experience of playing there at a high level which can stand to him.

I'd go with the same team as above but maybe leave Folan there for the time being. Himself and Oji had started to strike up a very decent partnership with Oji marshalling him in the defence and i'd like to see that continue for a while more and see how it goes.

EA Sports Cup First Round:

March 10th
    Cork City vs Limerick FC, Turners Cross, 7:45pm

That'll be a nice trip down now to Turners cross. Lovely little ground if anyone hasnt been

Have just heard Dave O'Leary has signed with Cork City but yet to be announced officially.

Have just heard Dave O'Leary has signed with Cork City but yet to be announced officially.

Awful pity but that last minute winner against bohs was one of the best moments i've had watching limerick so he'll be remembered fondly

Premier license granted - remember the days we used to have to wait until the last minute to get ours?

http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassroots/airtricity-league/news/103759-club-licensing-committee-award-2014-licences.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Awful pity but that last minute winner against bohs was one of the best moments i've had watching limerick so he'll be remembered fondly

Would we not be entitled to compensation as his under 24

Would we not be entitled to compensation as his under 24

By right yes but that all depends on if we have done everything right.

A player must be offered a contract equal or greater than their last one before a certain time period for a club to be entitled to compensation. Whether we have done that is yet to be seen.

By right yes but that all depends on if we have done everything right.

A player must be offered a contract equal or greater than their last one before a certain time period for a club to be entitled to compensation. Whether we have done that is yet to be seen.

From what I'm told we have.

Limerick FC Kit 2014

2014_kit_2.jpg

• Advertisement

Limerick FC Kit 2014

2014_kit_2.jpg

Yikes! I see the old Macron shirts still leave precious little to the imagination!:pac:

Quick note to anyone who's not actually owned one of these in the past - you might want to at least think about moving up one size from what you normally buy. Macron tend to be a bit on the snug side compared to most other football shirts. If you prefer them that way then fine, but keep it in mind, especially if buying one for somebody else.

Advertisement