Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Lights from IKEA

Options
  • 14-04-2019 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I got two down-lights from IKEA.
    The current ceiling lights have three wires yet the IKEA fittings only have space for two wires.

What is the best way to do this? Get some tape and cover the third wire or is there some better way?

I've wired lights before but always three wires to three connectors and don't want to trip anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Can you stick up some photos?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

No earth on lights that's the yellow/green wire not needed just leave loose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Don't do that. The cpc should be terminated. Use Click Flow connectors or downlight junction boxes or something similar to make the final connection.

I'm sick of having to redo all downlight connections following a PIR (or EICR in the north).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

That is some assumption the OP never said it was yellow/green, it could be a looped live (three plate ceiling rose?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

That is some assumption the OP never said it was yellow/green, it could be a looped live (three plate ceiling rose?)

Fair point just assumed when he said three wires he meant live neutral earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

choicer wrote: »
    I got two down-lights from IKEA.
    The current ceiling lights have three wires yet the IKEA fittings only have space for two wires.

What is the best way to do this? Get some tape and cover the third wire or is there some better way?

I've wired lights before but always three wires to three connectors and don't want to trip anything.

Is the light fitting plastic?

Advertisement