Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bricking up a garage door - question...

Options
  • 03-06-2020 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to remove and fill in a garage door.
    I was hoping to run the process past you all and make sure I'm not doing anything wrong/crazy.

The plan is to:
    • Remove the door.
    • Block up the hole with cavity blocks to required height, using wall ties in each course.
    • First course will be set on existing concrete floor of garage.
    • Set window sill on top.
    • Leave existing head in place (this will be top of window).
    • Get a pro to render the outside, and plaster the inside once complete.
    Is it that simple?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If this is a conversion to a room, You will have to consider floor /underfloor, Ventilation, Air tightness, Insulation, heating.

And not to mention planning or indeed your housing estate guidelines (private estates)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

will you need planning?
    where is the floor dpc?
    I would use solids on flat, easier to work with, longer bind with the wall ties, and easier to lay the window sill.
    how will you create a decent reveal all the way around for the window?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

listermint wrote: »
    If this is a conversion to a room, You will have to consider floor /underfloor, Ventilation, Air tightness, Insulation, heating.
    Ok noted. It'll be a room. Will lay floor over existing concrete floor. existing floor is level and there's a dpm in place under it. Will do flooring last.
    Hadn't put too much thought into ventilation tbh. But can easily add vent after. Window will open. Air tightness isn't a massive concern. Not looking for A rating or anything similar, and it should be comfortable enough. Additional insulation by way of insulated plaster boards. Attic is insulated. Heating will be by electric heater and possibly stove in time.

And not to mention planning or indeed your housing estate guidelines (private estates)
    Garage is in my back garden out of view to anyone so I don't foresee an issue. Is planning required?

will you need planning?
    Hadnt thought so. It's in the back garden out of view.

where is the floor dpc?
    under the existing concrete floor.

I would use solids on flat, easier to work with, longer bind with the wall ties, and easier to lay the window sill.
    Sorry novice here - what does that mean :confused:
    how will you create a decent reveal all the way around for the window?
    Do you mean finish? I was hoping to get the pro to do that with the render.

Id ventilate via windows (mechanical vents) and also look at airtightness. The room will be cold if you are going directly on to concrete floor. Having done a garage conversion before and using all the best insulation (at the time) and overlooked some perceptive minor issues mainly around airtightness. The room turned out cold and crap. Lesson learnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I had considered similar with a French door at the side of my house. The part that I had most difficulty with was the sizing of the replacement double-glazed window. How had you planned on measuring-up then ordering one to have ready, then build to fit, or otherwise?
    I presume given that you are using cavity bricks that you're running one leaf? I'd have two, plus the foam insulation and wall-ties to contend with.
    The outer leaf is red-brick, so was planning on removing the half-bricks to tie in to the existing external reveal. Internal, I was going to use a wall starter kit.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I had considered similar with a French door at the side of my house. The part that I had most difficulty with was the sizing of the replacement double-glazed window. How had you planned on measuring-up then ordering one to have ready, then build to fit, or otherwise?
    measured up and building to fit. thats the plan at least.

I presume given that you are using cavity bricks that you're running one leaf? I'd have two, plus the foam insulation and wall-ties to contend with.
    my outer is rendered, so i was thinking cavity would be simpler.

Zulu wrote: »
    measured up and building to fit. thats the plan at least.

my outer is rendered, so i was thinking cavity would be simpler.

And crappier in terms of thermal transfer.

And crappier in terms of thermal transfer.
    Well, it's a short end wall, the other short end is cavity brick. The long side walls will be a long double glazed lift and slide and leaving the existing internal wall as is (save for insulated plaster board).
    So I'm thinking that short wall wont make too much difference.

Could be naive however. :confused: no?

Zulu wrote: »
    Well, it's a short end wall, the other short end is cavity brick. The long side walls will be a long double glazed lift and slide and leaving the existing internal wall as is (save for insulated plaster board).
    So I'm thinking that short wall wont make too much difference.

Could be naive however. :confused: no?

Very Naive yes. This will be a cold room you wont enjoy. Been there done that, learnt alot. Wouldnt repeat.

Very minor changes right now will make major difference to the use of the room in future.

• Advertisement

Very Naive yes. This will be a cold room you wont enjoy. Been there done that, learnt alot. Wouldnt repeat.

Very minor changes right now will make major difference to the use of the room in future.
    Fair play so! I dont want to make past mistakes!

I dont want to get into rebuilding the other walls obviously, so what do you recommend? 2 leafs on that short wall? It'll be 8 ft wide and 5 ft tall (approx) with a double glaze window on top. I was going to add insulated plaster board at the back. But you think this will be too cold? and 2 leafs better? Or is there another solution?
    Thanks btw

Advertisement