Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Transparency by Boards

Options
  • 02-06-2020 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

There was a very fast moving new thread about the flagrant breach of restrictions by the Black Lives Matters protest in Dublin yesterday.
    Who was the admin who merged it in the hope of a) slowing down the topic and b) making it disappear completely in a larger thread?

I'm sure that office staff and other admins saw what happened and are most likely disappointed by this obviously partial decision.

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It's a pretty poor attempt at misleading discourse to pose your question as blatantly double-barrelled as that. But I'm pretty sure you were aware of that when typing it.

I wasn't the particular admin that merged the threads, but I was modding CA yesterday and considering the pace of incoming threads and posts, I imagine the admin in question merged what were multiple threads on related topics into one, in order to keep the narrative to one location, rather than to oppress the proletariat somehow.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You mean who was the person who merged it into the social distancing megathread?

That was me

And that's what I've done with over 300 threads in that forum. It was a discussion about social distancing and the breaching thereof. It was never going to be lost in the Social distancing megathread.

But equally why did you not PM a mod to ask about it? I guess that's because you want to start a tirade in Feedback. Well actually Help Desk is the place for this type of complaint, so I'm moving it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Isn't there usually a note left by a mod when threads are merged?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I did it for about the first hundred or so, but then gave up as no-one was paying attention or checking what megathreads we already had running.

I always left a redirect which I would remove a few days later, so it was always clear what had happened

This is the first time we've had a complaint about it despite, as I say, having done it over 300 times in the life of this forum (which is less than 3 months)

I would just add about the specifics here. We are talking the Coronavirus forum. The thread should only relate to coronavirus issues, which in this case were only social distancing ones

Of course if someone wanted to discuss the protests themselves, that does not belong in the Coronavirus forum. Of course there is not an issue if posters want to discuss it in the Current Affairs forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Thank you for the responses.

The last post explains the reasoning behind the merge.
    It's fine if you want to close this thread now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement