Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assembly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

obi604 wrote: »
    I hear ya !!!
    For example, The roof in their instructions is completely flat and the slats just rest against each other, however In reality - the roof slays I got have grooves and you have to kinda slot them in to each other. (I think)

I see you are using clamps, I used them too - a god send on your own.

That’s the big issue I have, the instructions use tongue and grove and what’s has been delivered are slats. The house and roof both use it and its been tough trying to figure out how to lay it so it does not hold water and provide some structural integrity. The roof on the XL has no real structure and it basically rests on 4x2 timber from the roof section and theses slats in the house. I have had to design my own apex as it had no strength and we are in a windy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

krissovo wrote: »
    That’s the big issue I have, the instructions use tongue and grove and what’s has been delivered are slats. The house and roof both use it and its been tough trying to figure out how to lay it so it does not hold water and provide some structural integrity. The roof on the XL has no real structure and it basically rests on 4x2 timber from the roof section and theses slats in the house. I have had to design my own apex as it had no strength and we are in a windy area.

So for me, the roof instructions are totally flat slats.

What was delivered was tongue and groove. And you kinda have to reverse it every second slat. The groove is not the same the whole way.

I got a bit lazy on the roof and only used 2 screws per slat, one each side (due to the Awkward positioning of the Tongue and groove scenario).

Do you think I need to go back and put 2 more on end of the roof slats?

From the photos your area looks quite sheltered so you should be ok and the roof is quite short. I would add a second screw to the bottom timber on each side just to be safe as that would take the most stress.

From the photos your area looks quite sheltered so you should be ok and the roof is quite short. I would add a second screw to the bottom timber on each side just to be safe as that would take the most stress.

Yeah, Tis sheltered alright.

Thanks. I thought If anything I would need to put the 2 screws on the very top?

Finally finished the Cnut’in thing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Nice job. Anywhere you can write a review :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Well done, you.
    lovely job.
    have you still got to anchor it?

Well done, you.
    lovely job.
    have you still got to anchor it?

Thanks. 3 day job. I know It looks easy and it probably is a lot easier than I made It, but hard when you are on your own trying to follow weird instructions.
    Thanks to all of ye for the help.

I didn’t do the anchoring yet. Looks a bit of a pain. SeemA you have to hit a metal stake in to the ground flush with the upright and then screw the stake to the upright. Not too sure yet how to do as need to hit down metal stake right next to the uprights. Will attempt tomorrow.

Thanks. 3 day job. I know It looks easy and it probably is a lot easier than I made It, but hard when you are on your own trying to follow weird instructions.
    Thanks to all of ye for the help.

I didn’t do the anchoring yet. Looks a bit of a pain. SeemA you have to hit a metal stake in to the ground flush with the upright and then screw the stake to the upright. Not too sure yet how to do as need to hit down metal stake right next to the uprights. Will attempt tomorrow.
    I think the advise is spikes are buried in concrete,could be wrong.
    By the way, were all those planks and boards marked or numbered for you,
    or did you have to measure to find out which was which?
    I couldn't understand that min-max measurements at all.
    Why could they not just cut the boards to fit the one you bought?

I think the advise is spikes are buried in concrete,could be wrong.
    By the way, were all those planks and boards marked or numbered for you,
    or did you have to measure to find out which was which?
    I couldn't understand that min-max measurements at all.
    Why could they not just cut the boards to fit the one you bought?

Do you mean spikes are only for a concrete sceanrio. ie. to set them in fresh concrete?

No, none of the planks or boards were numbered, had to measure them and divide them up myself, they were all
    Mixed in together

Yeah, the min max thing is confusing and annoying. If instructions were clearer, I would have finished hours earlier.

• Advertisement

Do you mean spikes are only for a concrete sceanrio. ie. to set them in fresh concrete?

No, none of the planks or boards were numbers, had to measure them and divide them up myself, they were all
    Mixed in together

Yeah, the min max thing is confusing and annoying. If instructions were clearer, I would have finished hours earlier.
    Page 25/26 of your instructions shows concrete poured around 2 of the spikes.
    That would make sense , as kids tend to congregate on the higher level,
    and, though you say you are sheltered, better be safe I'd say.

A slide down into a paddling pool ! lucky kids.

Page 25/26 of your instructions shows concrete poured around 2 of the spikes.
    That would make sense , as kids tend to congregate on the higher level,
    and, though you say you are sheltered, better be safe I'd say.

A slide down into a paddling pool ! lucky kids.

Hmmm. So ideally I should dig a hole and pour concrete - messy.

Or would I get away with hammering the spike in to the GRASS only and securing it to The upright.

Lucky is right ;)

Or would I get away with hammering the spike in to the GRASS only and securing it to The upright.

Lucky is right ;)

Ideally?
    Yes, but your call, someone on here might have experience of these.
    A friend built his own from plans, and filled the base with concrete.
    But he's on the west coast.

Ideally?
    Yes, but your call, someone on here might have experience of these.
    A friend built his own from plans, and filled the base with concrete.
    But he's on the west coast.

Issue is I am in a rented house. Landlord has no probs with play house itself, but not sure about digging holes and pouring concrete.

It also says to anchor the bottom of the slide with 2 of these metal spikes - but I won’t be doing this I think.

Thinking out loud, wonder could I use **all the 4 spikes** to anchor the main playhouse Structure and just anchor them in the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

I am putting up the XL play house from jungle gym this weekend and I am finding the instructions are loose guide only and the tolerances can be laughable with the timber. The build process is also a joke so I have had to build it completely different to the instructions. I hope I get it done tomorrow but there is so much problem solving its tough to get going at pace.

514894.jpeg

Mind me asking where you got the ladder and what height it is? Looking for something similar

Mind me asking where you got the ladder and what height it is? Looking for something similar

I got it from Godirectaccess.ie, its 5.6 meters in total, gets wobbly past 4 meters but Its great for the Christmas decorations and real flexible.

Looks a very tidy job, well done.

Lucky is right ;)

I am going to pour in a bag or 2 of postcrete (its €6 in B&Q at the moment) so no messing about and then set the anchors. Then back fill with dirt for about 6 to 10 cm and then the grass sod. When you leave you can just cut the anchor a few cm's below the grass and it looks fine.

My construction is just about done, I have been cursing jungle gym all day. Stupidly I added a tube slide which has more bolts than a big bolt factory and a pig to line up but the kids just had a wild 30 minutes of pure joy and exercise so worth it in the end, especially as we bought this instead of a summer holiday this year.

It was a bit of a mistake letting them slide as now a couple of the legs has sunk and level is a bit off but I will be putting in anchors over the next few days if work allows.

514975.jpg

Looks a very tidy job, well done.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

My construction is just about done, I have been cursing jungle gym all day. Stupidly I added a tube slide which has more bolts than a big bolt factory and a pig to line up but the kids just had a wild 30 minutes of pure joy and exercise so worth it in the end, especially as we bought this instead of a summer holiday this year.

It was a bit of a mistake letting them slide as now a couple of the legs has sunk and level is a bit off but I will be putting in anchors over the next few days if work allows.

514975.jpg

Makes mine look like child’s play. Looks tricky. Great job.

Issue is I am in a rented house. Landlord has no probs with play house itself, but not sure about digging holes and pouring concrete.

It also says to anchor the bottom of the slide with 2 of these metal spikes - but I won’t be doing this I think.

Thinking out loud, wonder could I use **all the 4 spikes** to anchor the main playhouse Structure and just anchor them in the grass.

Still undecided about this. Don’t really want to go digging up lawn, I know I can do it in a way to avoid issues but still.

They used it for about 4 hours yesterday and not a bother, no rocking etc.

Now I know if a storm Etc comes it’s a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Heavy duty trampoline anchors?

image.png

Lumen wrote: »
    Heavy duty trampoline anchors?

image.png

Thanks. I actually happen to have trampoline anchors already from an old trampoline.

Not sure how to fit it though. Do the anchors Twist straight Down or at an angle?

And theN best way of tying strap to the frame?

@obi604 I'n really not sure you need anything to stop your Jungle Gym from blowing away? Provided you feel its 100% safe for the kids I wouldn't worry to much. If you had solid cabin walls at the top like krissovo's then yes you'd need a good ground anchor for the wind. I suspect krissovo can get away without ground anchors because his has a much wider base.

I make the odd chicken/foul house and I've had plenty blow over but they are the ones with much more area to catch the wind than yours.

If we have a bad storm due I have ground anchors either side of some of the chicken sheds and just throw a ratchet strap over the top and tie them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks. I actually happen to have trampoline anchors already from an old trampoline.

Not sure how to fit it though. Do the anchors Twist straight Down or at an angle?

And theN best way of tying strap to the frame?

The anchors should be in-line with the strap, so that the strap pulls along the axis of the anchor.

To reduce trip hazards I would probably find the lowest horizontal member and then put the anchor in underneath or directly next to it, and then wrap the strap around that member.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    @obi604 I'n really not sure you need anything to stop your Jungle Gym from blowing away? Provided you feel its 100% safe for the kids I wouldn't worry to much. If you had solid cabin walls at the top like krissovo's then yes you'd need a good ground anchor for the wind. I suspect krissovo can get away without ground anchors because his has a much wider base.

I make the odd chicken/foul house and I've had plenty blow over but they are the ones with much more area to catch the wind than yours.

If we have a bad storm due I have ground anchors either side of some of the chicken sheds and just throw a ratchet strap over the top and tie them down.

Thanks for the input.

As you say, the structure is not solid With no walls and the wind can go through it no bother. Plus well sheltered.

But got me thinking, Is the main purpose of anchors for the wind or to stop wobbling or possibly toppling when kids are on it?

It does not really budge - so far anyway.

Earlier I hammered down 2 spikes And screwed them to the 2 uprights. Packed in with soil etc.

Seems to be solid enough, herself is happy about it anyways; )

So I think should be fine. If a storm came I would anchor it properly.

Thanks for the input.

As you say, the structure is not solid With no walls and the wind can go through it no bother. Plus well sheltered.

But got me thinking, Is the main purpose of anchors for the wind or to stop wobbling or possibly toppling when kids are on it?

It does not really budge - so far anyway.

Earlier I hammered down 2 spikes And screwed them to the 2 uprights. Packed in with soil etc.

Seems to be solid enough, herself is happy about it anyways; )

So I think should be fine. If a storm came I would anchor it properly.

I've always thought the ground anchors where for the kids safety. Worst case scenario might be 3 of them all leaning out one side at the same time and rocking side to side. There's often a kid that thinks rocking these things while others are on it is a good idea so you have to make sure it won't go over.

• Advertisement

I've always thought the ground anchors where for the kids safety. Worst case scenario might be 3 of them all leaning out one side at the same time and rocking side to side. There's often a kid that thinks rocking these things while others are on it is a good idea so you have to make sure it won't go over.

Yeah. I’m not too sure what the main reason for these anchors in this setup.

Advertisement