Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch arses

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thirdfox wrote: »
    For IWC shouldn't it be a Messerschmitt? :P
    Like all Swiss oufits they were happy to play both sides(until the German hard cash ran out), with the notable exception of Rolex.
    banie01 wrote: »
    I'd actually far, far, far prefer a Messerschmitt!!!! :P
    :D I wouldn't. Feckin flight safety hazard with wings. :eek:
    Wibbs might know - what did the soviet pilots use for "fliegers"?
    Good question T. Before the war the US Hampden had sold their machinery to the Soviets and had sent over American watchmakers to set up the factory which IIRC became the Kirov factory. Just after the war the Soviets captured the Hanhart facility and shipped a load of unfinished movements and machinery back to the motherland, mostly chronographs and then started internal production.

Picture001.jpg

During the war I have no idea TBH and never found a satisfactory answer. They did import a load of US watches, Gruen, Hamilton etc as part of the lend lease deals. No doubt some of them ended up on pilot's wrists.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wibbs wrote: »

:D I wouldn't. Feckin flight safety hazard with wings. :eek:

Absolute bastard on the ground.
    But a late F series with the clean wing and the Galland hood would be my high altitude fighter of choice.

The argument is always made that some Germans racked up ridiculous scores in the east flying against poor opponents.
    IMO, it doesn't hold true after 1943, the Russians cottoned on quickly to their strengths and stayed below 5000mtrs for a reason.

Even in the west though, against the best of the western pilots and planes the 109 did sterling service.
    Yes other fighters were better, especially late war but German Experten still scored heavily in the 109 in all theatres it flew.

Now that said, if I had to fight in a WW2 fighter and couldn't have altitude?

It'd be the Goodyear version of the Corsair with all the naval equipment stripped out and lightened as possible, or if I could lay hands on a Grumman F8!

But for sheer destructive effectiveness?
    I'd take a 109F with the clean wing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FW190 myself. Harmonised controls, easy to build transport and repair, more forgiving of damage and rookie and average pilots*. IMHO the best all rounder piston fighter(with a sideorder of bomber) in the war. Not nearly as scalable as the Spit mind you. For the experts the ME262. :D I remember reading the memoirs of a French ace who said by the end of the war the Germans had either complete newbies, or complete experts, If you engaged a group, most would leg it, but if one stuck around and engaged, start praying.

*a rellie who flew a few British types in the war reckoned one big reason(other than propaganda) the Spit was so liked and so good was it was very forgiving at the limit, especially for rookies. The stall was the most gentle of any piston fighter of the time(the Mustang was a right wagon) and it gave plenty of warning before you stalled in a turn. The 109 in the hands of an expert yeah, but push it too hard the leading edge slats would deploy, inevitably asymmetrically and you'd spin out. He reckoned it was less that it could turn better, but more that you could push her harder than an average German pilot would dare. Though he did say the rudder pedals were more for show...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    FW190 myself. Harmonised controls, easy to build transport and repair, more forgiving of damage and rookie and average pilots*. IMHO the best all rounder piston fighter(with a sideorder of bomber) in the war. Not nearly as scalable as the Spit mind you. For the experts the ME262. :D I remember reading the memoirs of a French ace who said by the end of the war the Germans had either complete newbies, or complete experts, If you engaged a group, most would leg it, but if one stuck around and engaged, start praying.

*a rellie who flew a few British types in the war reckoned one big reason(other than propaganda) the Spit was so liked and so good was it was very forgiving at the limit, especially for rookies. The stall was the most gentle of any piston fighter of the time(the Mustang was a right wagon) and it gave plenty of warning before you stalled in a turn. The 109 in the hands of an expert yeah, but push it too hard the leading edge slats would deploy, inevitably asymmetrically and you'd spin out. He reckoned it was less that it could turn better, but more that you could push her harder than an average German pilot would dare. Though he did say the rudder pedals were more for show...

I would in my earlier years have always gone for FW ;)
    Very well thought out weapons system, even the trimming and auto engine controls were a precursor to HOTAS.

Its just a bit too common now tho :P I'm trying to be hipsterish with my choices :pac:

The Spit AFAIK had a gentle wing drop pre stall, with plenty of onset buffet to warn you it was coming. The 109, well you hoped you were high enough to recover because it would flip out on a whim.

Some other choices that spring to mind for me would be the Fiat G55 or the Yak-9.

And if you could pick and mix equipment, I'd be sticking the mk2 gyro gunsight on whatever I was flying.

I actually have a book with some really lovely interviews with pilots of the great planes, "in the cockpit" I must get around to digitizing at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Is the Kirova one of yours, Wibbs? If so very very jealous!!

• Advertisement

Daemonic wrote: »
    Is the Kirova one of yours, Wibbs? If so very very jealous!!
    Very sadly not D. I did have a German one button Hanhart for a short time in the mid 90's, sold it to buy two other watches(and car parts :D). I remember it was a choice to either find a watchmaker to fix it(the chrono part wasn't working correctly) or sell it on. Hard to find a watchmaker back then so selling it on was the better bet. Plus TBH it actually felt quite flimsy, even "cheap".

I am now off to load up IL2 and play a campaign or 2 ;)
    I haven't played a flight sim in years!

I have DCS but hadn't played it in years and it's more jet orientated anyway.
    So I took a trip over to Steam, and picked up lL2:1946 with a load of add one for the grand total of €9.99!

I think my college output may take a hit this semester ;)

Screenshot-2021-02-01-23-15-49-006-com-android-chrome.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

iwU5org.jpg

A glimpse or the rear of a Citizen Promaster 7828-H21963TA/PMU56-2375 "Yellowstone National Park". Seems to be a strange collaboration, but at least the rear is something a little bit different...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Interesting back - so is the movement inserted from the front then?

Interesting back - so is the movement inserted from the front then?

It is...It's a monocoque design and access can be gained through the front bezel. Not particularly easy, but that was never meant to be an issue because they were never really meant to be opened up.

I believe they were originally marketed by Citizen in the late 90's with a tagline that went something like "the battery will never need replacing".

Which was great...until people threw them in cupboards and desks, and the battery lost their charge after a few months and then solar charging wouldnt revive them...at which stage people returned them for service to Citizen, who very helpfully said, yea that's out of production, we're out of parts, so good luck...

• Advertisement

CqxcjAj.jpg

Picked this one up for dirt cheap on a Japanese auction site and it had been badly abused. The rechargeable battery was as good as dead, and some one had not only managed to snap the crown and stem, but had then wedged the broken bits between the date wheel and the dial.

NJFgqUW.jpg

I've been messing around with it the last few weeks and have got almost everything back on track. But theres a plastic gasket which sits between the bezel and the casing to secure it, and it needs to be exactly right before putting pressure on, otherwise you'll mash the gasket. I've had prior success with these, but I've already done in one and the bits can be hard to come by...

YLjherJ.jpg

Which brings me to my next question...anyone know a decent watchmaker in the South East or Dublin with a press to sort this bad boy out and finally get it back in action?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Which brings me to my next question...anyone know a decent watchmaker in the South East or Dublin with a press to sort this bad boy out and finally get it back in action?? :)

The only place I would trust to do more than change a battery or adjust a bracelet is Dawson Jewellers but they're closed due to lockdown. There may be others I don't know of .

Those monobloc cases were designed to keep Citizen service centers in business ..

Those monobloc cases were designed to keep Citizen service centers in business ..

Until even they said to hell with that!! :)

Cassius99 wrote: »
    Until even they said to hell with that!! :)

Did Calcul take a look and say that?

Did Calcul take a look and say that?

Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm only going on what I've been reading online...I hadn't contacted them for the simple reason that i had managed to sort out the issues bar the closing by myself.

In any posts on watch sites about more serious internal issues people basically said they had received short shrift from Citizen everywhere....I know there was a few lads in the UK doing repairs on them via ebay and the likes too, who most people wanting fixes had then turned to.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

@99 lovely looking back and front...
    Been hankering after a modern version which might happen sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭PhantomHat

JPdZbbl.jpg92md3EOPsdOLMy Longines Conquest Heritage Automatic Chronograph. Love this watch.

544350.jpg

92md3EOPsdOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

All lovely bottoms - just something that I've found personally - for example on the Speedmaster - I get an imprint and some skin getting rubbed off from wearing the watch over the course of the day - just me or do others experience it too? And does anyone have solutions to imprinted wrists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@PhantomHat That is very nice, but why is the 'i' on Longines lower case when the rest is capitalised?

That would make my eye twitch.

Can't possibly be a mistake, Shirley?

What is the significance?

• Advertisement

The original 60's Conquests had the same lower case i. That seems to be the only reason. I don't know why they did it back then either as Longines logos never did. They were uppercase LONGINES and the only example I can recall of one even having a lowercase i was the logo around 1900 where the L alone was uppercase.

Meanwhile, my quest to track down some of the rarer models of the Citizen Promaster Tough 'Ray Mears' series continues. This time its the companion piece to the Yellowstone, the Aoraki/Mount Cook, model number 7878-H30351TA/PMU56-2487.

It's very small (34mm approx) and I believe was marketed as the "womens" version. A larger 39/40mm model also exists. That said I dont have the biggest wrists and it wears well on a nice canvas NATO without looking circus freak small....

xDKgnfU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There’s a mine of useless information on the back of a DAMASKO

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement