Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface Go

Options
  • 10-07-2018 11:27am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Microsoft has announced the Surface Go, which is basically a 10 inch version of the Surface Pro. $399 for a 4 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC version, which is powered by a Pentium Gold processor. Comes with Windows 10 S mode installed, which can be changed over to full Windows easily.

It's an interesting device, I'll wait for reviews, but this seems to more be a play for the education sector than anything else. Microsoft must be pretty worried that Chromebooks and iPads are setting up a generation of kids who've never touched a Microsoft product.

There's more on the Verge here.

dseifert_180625_2693_0002.0.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CatInABox wrote: »
    Microsoft has announced the Surface Go, which is basically a 10 inch version of the Surface Pro. $399 for a 4 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC version, which is powered by a Pentium Gold processor. Comes with Windows 10 S mode installed, which can be changed over to full Windows easily.

It's an interesting device, I'll wait for reviews, but this seems to more be a play for the education sector than anything else. Microsoft must be pretty worried that Chromebooks and iPads are setting up a generation of kids who've never touched a Microsoft product.

There's more on the Verge here.

dseifert_180625_2693_0002.0.jpg

I'd have to agree that it's aimed at education and kids. The spec is actually fine, and a surface finally has USB C. It could actually be a tempting proposition for a light portable if you were traveling a lot or in college. The lack of pen included in the base price is annoying, especially given that it's $99. Same for the type cover.

I can't say I expect them to sell lots of these. I've toyed with the idea of a surface for a long while, but I can't help but feel that it's a jack of all trades but master of none type of machine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's up for preorder here. €460 over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd have to agree that it's aimed at education and kids. The spec is actually fine, and a surface finally has USB C. It could actually be a tempting proposition for a light portable if you were traveling a lot or in college. The lack of pen included in the base price is annoying, especially given that it's $99. Same for the type cover.

I can't say I expect them to sell lots of these. I've toyed with the idea of a surface for a long while, but I can't help but feel that it's a jack of all trades but master of none type of machine.

As somebody who works in education, I don't see it. It's yet another device, with a different user interface, with limited touch-enabled apps to add to the mix. I see, from a marketing perspective, the need to have a low-cost device, but to really derive any benefit from it, in particular in education, the pen and the keyboard are necessary, bumping up the price.

(I should point out I am typing this on my much-loved Surface Book, so I am not in any way a Microsoft hater)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    As somebody who works in education, I don't see it. It's yet another device, with a different user interface, with limited touch-enabled apps to add to the mix. I see, from a marketing perspective, the need to have a low-cost device, but to really derive any benefit from it, in particular in education, the pen and the keyboard are necessary, bumping up the price.

(I should point out I am typing this on my much-loved Surface Book, so I am not in any way a Microsoft hater)

I'd presume that if a school district is buying these, then they'll get a significant discount. I'd say a Surface Go with keyboard would be similar in expense to a Chromebook in that case.

Advertisement