Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple trees

Options
  • 04-06-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭

I've been a keen gardener for more years than I care to remember, through three main gardens. However I have never had any experience of fruit trees, and now I have inherited about half a dozen or so mostly apple trees.

Last year when we moved in they were very overgrown with nettles (up to the tops of the trees!) and brambles. These were all cut back and cleaned up over the winter. Last autumn they all produced some fruit, from a few kilos of cookers - very nice bramleys - to oddments of eaters, a few conference pears on a small falling over tree and a distinct lack of cherries on a cherry tree. And one tree that did nothing at all, appears to be a pear.

This year between the clearing out and the good spring they are laden with fruit, astonishing quantities. Except for the barren pear and the cherry. I know there will be a drop of fruit, and I gather I should help this along. So questions -

When would I expect the drop, and to what extent should I help it along?

One of the eating apples is very badly overgrown with twiggyness and far too many branches, I understand the principles of pruning, but when should I do it?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's known as 'July drop', and the trees will do it themselves depending on weather conditions. You don't have to help them along with that but you can certainly do some thinning now, remove dead branches, then any that are crossing back through the tree affecting others, and the weaker of two that are growing too close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sickofcovid

I have had an apple tree producing a good crop of fruit for the last number of years, last year due to health reasons I was unable to pick the fruit. This year not a single fruit on the tree. The tree is healthy looking with strong healthy leaves. Is the tree paying me back for not harvesting last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I have had an apple tree producing a good crop of fruit for the last number of years, last year due to health reasons I was unable to pick the fruit. This year not a single fruit on the tree. The tree is healthy looking with strong healthy leaves. Is the tree paying me back for not harvesting last year?

Unlikely. It was a strange year for everything.
    Give it plenty of manure this autumn. Prune where necessary. And wait for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

That can happen a lot - last year I had barely a few bucketfuls of apples from a whole orchard - this year I have tons. When you have a low yielding year it can be any amount of causes - damage to the flowers at a crucial time, stress on the tree due to drought etc. I wouldn't worry about it - just give it a feed and leave it alone. It's looking healthy and should be fine again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I wonder if there was some neighbouring tree that helped with pollinating that is not there anymore? Was there decent display of flower in spring?

• Advertisement
Advertisement