Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to purchase soil?

Options
  • 02-06-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all, I'm building a raised flower bed in dublin and need to order a half tonne of soil.
    Any recommendations for good people to buy from?
    Thank you.

Comments

I got a 100ks (maybe it was a ton bag) from my local builder merchant a few weeks back.
    was about 100e,they called it enriched topsoil .
    You could dig a pond either !

Edit- that should read 100kgs aka a ton bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi all, I'm building a raised flower bed in dublin and need to order a half tonne of soil.
    Any recommendations for good people to buy from?
    Thank you.

What area?? Most suppliers supply in 1ton bags. Half a ton equates to about 4 wheelbarrow. Just for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

Landscape Depot.
    I would order a ton bag to be on the safe side, you always need more than you think as the soil compresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Mulch.ie they have very good soil and compost and a blend of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I got a 100ks (maybe it was a ton bag) from my local builder merchant a few weeks back.
    was about 100e,they called it enriched topsoil .
    You could dig a pond either !

Edit- that should read 100kgs aka a ton bag
    1 tonne=1000kg

• Advertisement

rje66 wrote: »
    What area?? Most suppliers supply in 1ton bags. Half a ton equates to about 4 wheelbarrow. Just for reference.
    I had to empty a tonne bag recently and it was a lot more than 4 barrows, (or else I was going very easy on myself :))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't forget, a 'ton bag' is usually a cubic metre bag. i'd expect you'd get more than a ton of soil in it, it's a ton if you get a cubic metre of water in it.

1 tonne=1000kg

Yes, I still made a mistake even after editing :rolleyes:

don't forget, a 'ton bag' is usually a cubic metre bag. i'd expect you'd get more than a ton of soil in it, it's a ton if you get a cubic metre of water in it.
    I think I read somewhere on this forum that you actually get less than a ton in a ton bag. Depends how high it's filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't think so. Tonne bags are more like half a cubic metre.

They weigh about a tonne when filled with crushed stone, depending on the size of the chips (and therefore the packing density).

A tonne bag of topsoil doesn't go very far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't think so. Tonne bags are more like half a cubic metre.

They weigh about a tonne when filled with crushed stone, depending on the size of the chips (and therefore the packing density).

A tonne bag of topsoil doesn't go very far.

You're spot on, even measuring them, they're circa 80cm x 90cm x 90cm equates to .65 of a cubic metre, they are no where near a tonne.
    This was confirmed to me by someone who fills them with a .5 cubic metre bucket, he has to empty out most of the second one.

Advertisement