Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber lengths for DIY

Options
  • 03-06-2020 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi where do everyone buy lengths of timber for diy projects. I need to get some 16' lengths of 4 by 2, 3 by 2 and 2 by 1. The local stores and sawmills are pretty expensive for small amounts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Any builders providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Lumen wrote:
    Any builders providers.

I know that :-) I was just wondering if anyone knew of a more reasonable price supplier for small amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I used Brooks when everything else was closed.
    https://brooksonline.ie/timber/treated-timber
    Problem is the delivery, it's pricey. So for my last purchase I cut the 16's into 6'1" onsite myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

10-10-20 wrote:
    I used Brooks when everything else was closed.

Thanks was looking at them alright but the delivery charge rules them out and unfortunately there's no store near me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Give us a hint of where you are located - somebody might be able to point you to a local builders providers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Also depends what you are buying and its intended use.

If you want everything planed on 4 sides to exact dimensions then the processing is expensive and you are paying for a larger chunk of timber than you actually get as someone has to pay for all the wastage from the cutting and planing process.

Timber quality also has a massive impact on price. Timber with few or knots or no knots larger than a certain percentage of the width of the timber will also be more expensive. Longer lengths can be more expensive. How the timber is cut makes a difference as does how well it was grown. Look at the end grain some lengths will have very close growth rings other lengths will have very few.

Some of the cheapest timber is often rough sawn treated timber used for outdoor projects making garden sheds and the like. The reason possibly being that cheaper timber pumped it full of preservatives is just as good outside as quality close grained timber which won't absorb as much preservative. Any rough sawn timber will normally be cheaper than planned all around timber but you can rarely guarantee dimensions. btw don't expect 16 ft lengths to be 16 ft :-) Its normally 3 - 4 inches sort normally its 480cm or 189 inches.

Packs of timber are also often more expensive as they are packed for the retail market.

Bottom line is unplanned timber treated for outdoor use is often the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Many smaller providers been bought up by larger ones I have noticed, sad these smaller would be more personal cut timber and more helpful unfortunately the lager ones less so, asked about cutting other day "oh we don't cut anything for insurance reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Many smaller providers been bought up by larger ones I have noticed, sad these smaller would be more personal cut timber and more helpful unfortunately the lager ones less so, asked about cutting other day "oh we don't cut anything for insurance reasons.

Cut it yourself. They all have saws that customers are free to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thanks was looking at them alright but the delivery charge rules them out and unfortunately there's no store near me

I bought twelve 9x2 in 5.4m lengths last week. Turned out cheaper than buying 11, as once you get over a certain price, the shipping was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭phormium

I got a couple of deliveries during lockdown from local McMahons, no charge for delivery if over certain amount, can't remember how much as I didn't pay delivery either time and I didn't buy a huge amount but like that I wanted long lengths of treated timber and couple of decking boards for garden projects. Cheaper than buying from likes of Woodies who don't do the long lengths anyway, I know another local provider is slightly cheaper for timber but have a delivery charge so swings and roundabouts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Timber is very inexpensive, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Timber is very inexpensive, no?
    1 length of 3x2 will cost you a tenner.
    I'm getting quantities/prices together for a 20x8x8 shed and the wood will cost about €1500. So......... it all depends;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

dodzy wrote: »
    I'm getting quantities/prices together for a 20x8x8 shed and the wood will cost about €1500. So......... it all depends;)

How long is a piece of string length of wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That seems expensive. I got about 350 linear meters of 6x2 CLS for less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

McMahons in Tralee are quite good. Not sure where you are based.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Rough-Sawn-Timber-75mm-x-44mm-4.8-Metre-3x2-16ft-.html?filter_set[]=20,266,1394

Tenner sounds a lot.. Goodwins isn't the cheapest place either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

TigerTim wrote: »
    McMahons in Tralee are quite good. Not sure where you are based.

T.

Bought wood from spellmans recently. Saved 80euro on delivered price compared to the local guys in tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

goodwins

goodwins.ie

reasonable and great website

Advertisement