Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: Backing up and changing hdd on PS4

Options
  • 20-05-2020 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭

My son's 500gb ps4 recently got close to capacity.

I used the backup function to copy the hdd contents on to an external drive, so that all the games and saves weren't lost.

I now have a 1tb hdd to put in, but I have been reading some comments online about having to add a reboot usb stick when changing out the hdd to put the new Sony software on first.

Do I still have to do this, or have I backed this necessary software up when I did the full backup? I was planning just to put in the new hdd and restore from my external drive.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

You have to put the software onto the new HDD, as soon as you put your new HDD in, it will format it.

I'm not certain, but I think once you connect up the old HDD, it will look to format it too.

It's been a while since I added an external HDD.

If he has PS+ he can back up his game saves to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

F1ngers wrote: »
    You have to put the software onto the new HDD, as soon as you put your new HDD in, it will format it.

I'm not certain, but I think once you connect up the old HDD, it will look to format it too.

It's been a while since I added an external HDD.

If he has PS+ he can back up his game saves to the cloud.

That’s good advice - backup game saves to the cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I assume his game saves are also backed up to the external hdd, or are they saved with his PS account, and then recognised when he logs back in the next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Damien360

You could leave the drive where it is and add a 2Tb external USB3 to it. Not sure what the max is. There is a spare slot in the rear of the PS4. Then go to the menu and send some of the games across to the new drive. That way you don’t have to re-download any content. Remember to change the default save location for future content to the new drive. I have this setup and it works perfectly. Your saves should all go to the cloud anyway but it’s the re-download that is the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got sorted.

All back up and running .

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement