Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't think anyone without a fitness qualification should be giving fitness advice

Options
  • 18-05-2020 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

Hi on the fitness forum i don't think advice should be coming from people without a qualification. Some of the posts are dangerous and outright ridiculous.

Maybe you should choose 4 posters who you know for a fact have a fitness qualification or a degree etc. And allow only those to give advice. Make sure they are with registered with reps etc. https://www.repsireland.ie/

The rest of us can just share our examples experiences etc.

I don't who the mods are i am sure they are all registered with reps anyway.
    :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Having a qualification doesn't guarantee sound advice.

• Subscribers Posts: 23 Twat-Badger

Hi on the fitness forum i don't think advice should be coming from people without a qualification.

Or you know, perhaps have the cop on to know that taking advice from rando's on the internet (on any subject) is unwise.

Taking this suggestion to it's logical conclusion anyone dispensing advice on any subject in any forum should then have the requisite qualifications to prove they know what they're talking about. If someone asks a question about a poorly pet should I have to submit veterinary qualifications before I'm allowed answer?

This is a rather silly idea imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This is it wrote: »
    Having a qualification doesn't guarantee sound advice.

It does honestly.

I think the mods could properly vet people. Someone registered with reps ...also having an EQF qualification or a degree and relevant experience in a gym or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Or you know, perhaps have the cop on to know that taking advice from rando's on the internet (on any subject) is unwise.

Taking this suggestion to it's logical conclusion anyone dispensing advice on any subject in any forum should then have the requisite qualifications to prove they know what they're talking about. If someone asks a question about a poorly pet should I have to submit veterinary qualifications before I'm allowed answer?

This is a rather silly idea imho.
    That situation is not entirely a good analogy.

No one THINKS they are a vet.

But MANY people with ZERO qualifications think they are fitness experts.

That is the difference. Its leading to an echo chamber of odd diets and advice. Not just here but online in general.

Also it would be true to say for some reason fitness qualifications are not respected. This is leading to the attitude of ..well sure we are all fitness experts.

It does honestly.

I think the mods could properly vet people. Someone registered with reps ...also having an EQF qualification or a degree and relevant experience in a gym or something.

It absolutely doesn't.

• Advertisement

That situation is not entirely a good analogy.

No one THINKS they are a vet.

But MANY people with ZERO qualifications think they are fitness experts.

That is the difference. Its leading to an echo chamber of odd diets and advice. Not just here but online in general.

Also it would be true to say for some reason fitness qualifications are not respected. This is leading to the attitude of ..well sure we are all fitness experts.

You have a personal issue with a poster from last night. Fight your corner instead of trying to change a whole forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Would you gway ta fcuk. Don't suppose this qualification you are talking about happens to be something you recently got yourself, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 KoolKluxKlan

Next, only qualified mechanics can give advice in Motoring or qualified therapists can give advice in PI....

One the worst suggestions ever made on this site.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It does honestly.

Have you tried asking the mods?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I completely disagree with this idea.

In my years moderating the fitness forum I've seen PTs give abysmal advice and normal joe soaps give great advice.

As long as it isn’t medical advice we aren’t there to filter, we’re there to keep posts within the rules set out in the charter.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What' counts as a fitness qualification?

IMHO nothing less than what a chartered physio has.

if nothing else, its ridiculous to ask boards to involve themselves in any step that weakens the idea that the advice one gets from the internet should be taken at face value

imagine the liability boards assumes in verifying qualifications in the irish litigious environment?

OP, you give out reams of advice on personal issues, some of which i have agreed with and a lot of which i havent

what are your qualifications to do so? the consequences for people blindly following advice in this sphere and many others are potentially very serious indeed.

absolute nonsense of an idea.

What' counts as a fitness qualification?

IMHO nothing less than what a chartered physio has.

yes but also

when a chartered physio is standing over advice given with the benefit of their training and expertise, they are entitled to fair consideration for this

to introduce a step like this unpaid is also a silly request

boards is not a professional services site

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

OP is behaving as if she has a professional qualification/degree (which take a lot of time and effort to obtain) when she did a short course out of interest. It would give a passing knowledge and nothing more.

Take your own advice OP!

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi on the fitness forum i don't think advice should be coming from people without a qualification. Some of the posts are dangerous and outright ridiculous.

Admin hat off for a minute, I've long been of the opinion that anyone who blindly takes advice from a stranger on the internet brings a certain amount of the consequences upon themselves.

That aside, your own advice (and the advice of many others) would be instantly disallowed across a multitude of forums if you had to back them up with qualifications in each of those areas. Conversely, I can't imagine any professional who would willingly mod a forum as a qualified expert and take on all of the liabilities that might incur.

It's called advice for a reason - only you can use your discretion as to whether you take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So what the difference in giving fitness advice (or insert other topic here) and medical or legal both of which are not allowed...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Arguably, the difference is that it's more difficult to establish liability against one of the traditional vocational professions than it is to establish liability for poor advice from someone giving advice that could be relied upon to your detriment in another field.

Of course, this isn't legal advice even if it's well-known that I am a lawyer.

But if you have a situation where someone goes over to Legal Discussion and looks for advice and someone who either is or isn't legally qualified gives an answer (it actually doesn't really matter whether pseudonymous users are Judges of the Supreme Court or village idiots) purporting to be legal advice, if the person who follows that "advice" comes to some ill as a result, there is a high threshold for trying to establish that anyone in particular - the site, the pseudonymous "advice giver" etc. - having anything close to liability for that due to the protected nature of the advice.

Whereas if someone is purporting to give advice that is not of the kind that has the same protected nature, such as strength and fitness, liability might attach under the ordinary principles of negligence, a much much lower threshold.

Just to give an example that I am familiar with, a friend of mine had a PT who she was paying handsomely for "advice" regarding strength and conditioning. During one of the sessions, my friend sustained an injury to her back that has led to her suffering from a permanent impairment. She will never recover from this injury.

Now, the nature of that particular unregulated sector of "advice" means that liability attaches on the basis of negligence simpliciter and there is no need to prove the advice deviated from a professional norm or any of the difficulties with establishing liability for bad legal or medical advice. Essentially, as these things go, it's a slam dunk of a case. And I never say those words. (In this case, my friend decided not to pursue any legal action, which is why I am giving the example.)

The point is, though, that it doesn't matter whether the PT in the example had a PhD in exercising (if such a thing were possible) or had just looked at some Mr Motivator videos on YouTube, liability attaches on a relatively objective basis in the circumstances.

ive read that twice and have no idea whether you think the answer is yes or no

you must be a lawyer!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

ive read that twice and have no idea whether you think the answer is yes or no

you must be a lawyer!

The question isn't articulated as one that would give rise to a yes or no answer?

My post was in response to the one above it, asking in what way fitness advice is different from other kinds of advice that are expressly not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Arguably, the difference is that it's more difficult to establish liability against one of the traditional vocational professions than it is to establish liability for poor advice from someone giving advice that could be relied upon to your detriment in another field.

Of course, this isn't legal advice even if it's well-known that I am a lawyer.

But if you have a situation where someone goes over to Legal Discussion and looks for advice and someone who either is or isn't legally qualified gives an answer (it actually doesn't really matter whether pseudonymous users are Judges of the Supreme Court or village idiots) purporting to be legal advice, if the person who follows that "advice" comes to some ill as a result, there is a high threshold for trying to establish that anyone in particular - the site, the pseudonymous "advice giver" etc. - having anything close to liability for that due to the protected nature of the advice.

Whereas if someone is purporting to give advice that is not of the kind that has the same protected nature, such as strength and fitness, liability might attach under the ordinary principles of negligence, a much much lower threshold.

Just to give an example that I am familiar with, a friend of mine had a PT who she was paying handsomely for "advice" regarding strength and conditioning. During one of the sessions, my friend sustained an injury to her back that has led to her suffering from a permanent impairment. She will never recover from this injury.

Now, the nature of that particular unregulated sector of "advice" means that liability attaches on the basis of negligence simpliciter and there is no need to prove the advice deviated from a professional norm or any of the difficulties with establishing liability for bad legal or medical advice. Essentially, as these things go, it's a slam dunk of a case. And I never say those words. (In this case, my friend decided not to pursue any legal action, which is why I am giving the example.)

The point is, though, that it doesn't matter whether the PT in the example had a PhD in exercising (if such a thing were possible) or had just looked at some Mr Motivator videos on YouTube, liability attaches on a relatively objective basis in the circumstances.

But if someone gives me bad motors advice that leads to me damaging physical property during routine maintenance? Also, what if someone told me how to drive stick, and the first thing I do is get into a collision?

• Advertisement
Advertisement