Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland and Aer Lingus credit card

Options
  • 22-02-2019 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭

I’m honestly not sure if this is a bargain but there may be something in it for someone. I know there are a lot of websites devoted to getting max benefits from credit card rewards, so might be possible to be clever with this. Anyway, might be useful to someone.

From the website:
    Bank of Ireland and Aer Lingus have teamed up to bring you a new kind of credit card. One that turns your spend into amazing travel rewards

That’s amazing annual travel rewards worth over €229* for €7.99 per month! With the Aer Credit Card you get:

2 Free Return Fares: For any European Aer Lingus ticketed and operated flights to / from Dublin, Cork, Shannon or Belfast, you pay taxes, fees and charges. Available when you spend €5,000 or more within a Reward Year on your Aer Credit Card, except for Excluded Transactions.

2 Fast Track & Priority Boarding Passes: on Aer Lingus operated flights out of Ireland at selected airports every Reward Year. Your Fast Track pass will minimise any waiting time and gets you through security in no time. With priority boarding you can enjoy being one of the first on-board to store your cabin bag and relax in your seat before take-off.

2 Lounge Passes: to access airport lounges at Dublin, Cork, Shannon and Belfast every Reward Year. Relax and unwind before your flight in the comfortable surroundings of the lounge with free Wi–Fi, complimentary drinks and snacks, and a range of newspapers for you to browse.

Worldwide Multi Trip Travel Insurance: including winter sports for you, your spouse / partner, children under 23 and any additional cardholders travelling together or separately.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/aer-credit-card/features-benefits/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Key will be the "excluded transactions" but could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Already discussed here.

This is not a bargain. As per the thread linked, the T&C's are onerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Why don't they offer miles? That's a bit stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Why don't they offer miles? That's a bit stupid.

They do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

The BOI 'Gold Card' at €120 fee per annum is better value for us who dont spend €5k on Aer Lingus Fares.....

The card has an Aer Lingus logo on it and it gets you (+ a free friend) into the AL Lounges worldwide if travelling on an AL ticket. Usually it be €25 to gain access...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cfingers

Masala wrote: »
    The BOI 'Gold Card' at €120 fee per annum is better value for us who dont spend €5k on Aer Lingus Fares.....

The card has an Aer Lingus logo on it and it gets you (+ a free friend) into the AL Lounges worldwide if travelling on an AL ticket. Usually it be €25 to gain access...

The gold card looks good.
    It also says that it gives you fast track access to the security channel in Dublin airport.

Do you know if you need to be travelling on an AL ticket for that?

cfingers wrote: »
    The gold card looks good.
    It also says that it gives you fast track access to the security channel in Dublin airport.

Do you know if you need to be travelling on an AL ticket for that?

Yes.... the benefits are only when using an AL Boarding Pass! I tried to the Lounge in Cork with a FR Boarding pass and was pulled straight away. Also - the name on teh Card has to be the lead traveler!!! I lent it to a work colleague and it was embarrassing as he has stopped in the Dublin lounge (even though he was travelling with AL). The name must be the same as the Boarding card!!

BUT... I got loads of use of it. When travelling on work you would always meet someone you know on the same flight and you can invite him/her to the lounge as a guest. Also- if traveling with the wife...also nice to 'treat' her to the Lounge and get their early and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

you pay taxes, fees and charges

Adding those would probably make the flight dearer than Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

600 tier points with BA is much easier to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

It’s 5k spend on the card not aer Lingus fares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yup but Americans use their credit cards more therefore there’s more competition therefore they need to be more enticing as loyalty programs are ten a penny over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Eur120 & all you get is lounge access ?

Surely the AerClub credit card with its different benefits (albeit not perfect as described on this thread) is a better option ?

banchang wrote: »
    Eur120 & all you get is lounge access ?

Surely the AerClub credit card with its different benefits (albeit not perfect as described on this thread) is a better option ?

Ya.... horses for courses. I use the lounge pass at least 6 times a year.... as well bring a guest most times. In effect - I have unlimited access to teh lounges which means more to me than the other offers. The above only offers 2 x passes a year if I read right. And I be pushed to put €5k thru it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Consensus is that it's a poor offering, which is no surprise to anyone who's witnessed just what a shambles EI made of Aer Club.

Avoid.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/01/19/aer-credit-card-review-from-aer-lingus-aerclub/

Advertisement