Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shazam! (DC Comics - Zachary Levi)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

you may've never read the original comics and we should respect them , even so they are fiction , people have no right to change them and make movies movies similar to the comics make good movies like 40s shazam movies and other dc movies before 2010 and not take piss on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Smertrius wrote: »
    you may've never read the original comics and we should respect them , even so they are fiction , people have no right to change them and make movies movies similar to the comics make good movies like 40s shazam movies and other dc movies before 2010 and not take piss on them
    Just because you haven't read the comics doesn't mean the film isn't based on comics. As I have already mentioned, the film looks to be based on the New 52 iteration of the character, at least from what little has been shown in the trailers. The original comics weren't published by DC, so if you've actually read them, they are the wrong ones to expect the DCEU to care about. Even the Superman films deviated from the original comics despite them being published by DC (He can fly in all the films, not in the original comics).

dc never created shazam , they only brought them from Fawcett Comics, means they have no right to change the copyright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

dc never created shazam , they only brought them from Fawcett Comics, means they have no right to change the copyright
    If they bought it, it means they have the right to change it. If they hadn't changed things up, the character would be dead and forgotten by now. Every character has changed since their origin if they have been around for a while, and that's in the actual comics where they were created. Once you change the format, by obvious necessity, the character will be different. That's why movies are based on the comic characters. Within the comics, the character will change as the writer changes, and often even with the same writer as the story requires...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Dude I'm all for being comic accurate at times but have you read any of the original iterations of these comics from the 30/40s, some of them are borderline unreadable.

Also do you not see the irony of attacking a film that has some 'originality' and for 'changing copyright (?)' for not clinging to the comics when the reason DC own the character to begin with was because Fawcett were seen as infringing on the copyright of Superman and not changing enough.

If they had tried making something more original to begin with we wouldn't even have him in the DC universe most likely.
    For a character that's been around nearly 80 years, is it such a crime that there's been some changes since before WW2 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

shazam killing off humans and not take responailty for his superpowers is oppostite of shazam portray in comics and they shouldn't have change him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

shazam killing off humans and not take responailty for his superpowers is oppostite of shazam portray in comics and they shouldn't have change him

Why shouldn't they change him?

Because you were a fan?

Because the original character was so popular?

Why?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shazam doesn't kill anyone in the trailer.

The film isn't out yet.

Can we all just put this account on ignore?
    Seeing as they're just repeating the same lies over and over. If only there was a word for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Early preview screenings very positive looking forward to this

https://twitter.com/robbiereviews/status/1109592609167691778?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, reviews seem positive, hitting the notes you might expect from the trailers re. family, responsibility etc. etc.

First clip popped up; nothing excessively spoiler'y but for anyone looking for a sense of the flavour of this thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, the reviews are honestly coming in pretty good for this movie.

I've a real soft spot for Zachary Levi after the first few seasons of Chuck (shut up, it was a great show) and I also really like this reviewer and tend to agree with her.

No real spoilers in the here, but there are some so be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Planning on going on weds. Hope ODEON opens their preview options for non unlimited card owners tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

This is the first film in a long time I'm genuinely excited to see.

Wasnt overly impressed. My wife enjoyed it which means it will prob clean up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Drumpot wrote: »
    Wasnt overly impressed. My wife enjoyed it which means it will prob clean up!

Same old superhero origin story with lots of jokes?

Same old superhero origin story with lots of jokes?

Pretty much. I was looking forward to it, kind of like suicide squad and it similarly was disappointing. So little really happens for so long and I wasn’t sold on the villain. I like Mark Strong but it didn’t work for me. It will be good for kids/families so will do well IMO.

Few really fun bits but not enough. If you want to be a fun, funny movie you need more then what we got. It was kind of like a watered down Kick ass movie.

Just looked at some of the ratings. Maybe I was tired or something cause it’s getting great reviews! I feel like it was a 5 or 6/10 but there’s obviously something wrong with me!! Old man Drumpot!

I made an funny connection with the opening scene between the dad while driving the car and the song “do you see what I see” , interested to see if anybody else gets it.

I really enjoyed it, probably my favourite DCEU film by a good bit.

It reminded me a bit of the Raimi Spider-Man. That level of cheese. I do agree that it takes a while to get going, it really kicks up a notch when he becomes Shazam though. I also thought the villain was better than lots of superhero films if maybe a bit pantomime but in a film like this I feel that is excusable. Asher Angel and Levi were both great, the film had a real heart and sense of humour. It was just nice to have a film that took the mick out of superhero tropes without being cynical about it. The side characters worked quite well too which is rare in these movies.

I do feel though that the last act was a bit long and I think it was a tad predictable. I did a trailer breakdown for this and essentially managed to guess the whole movie from it and there wasn't even much to go off.

Liked it a lot though, not sure if it will hold up to subsequent viewings.

Will talk in more detail on my podcast, found below. Don't want to even spoiler tag this far out from the release

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Drumpot wrote: »
    and the song “do you see what I see”

From Gremlins?

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    From Gremlins?

Yes, And The dad in the car while the song was playing was in gremlins 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Got to see this last night, enjoyable all the way through, good pacing, i know nothing of the Shazam comics so don't know if it done those justice.

It felt a lot more like a kids movie than the usual DC/Marvel outings, but that's because the main characters are all 15 and below mostly and its focusing on jokes more than anything.

I wasn't laughing my ass off at the jokes, just chuckling away at some, id say the younger crowds will love this one a lot. I found there wasn't anything much to dislike about it, except for some short bursts of hammy acting.

And yeah, was chuckling away at the music in the drive sequence at the start :D:pac:

Saw this at an Omniplex preview last week, really enjoyed it.
    It's a lot of fun, very heroic without being cynical, few laughs, very cheesy reminded me of Raimi's Spider-Man in that regard.
    Did a proper review no spoilers below

I can never get youtube embeds to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ThePott wrote: »
    I can never get youtube embeds to work :(

It's just the video id in between the youtube tags, not the full URL.

[YOUTUBE]MCVGMCPNzmc[/YOUTUBE]

Goodshape wrote: »
    It's just the video id in between the youtube tags, not the full URL.

Legend, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back. Saw it in 3D on the IMAX.
    Family Friendly. Fun. Some 3D: can live without it. Big Screen: worth it.

That was great! Such a funny refreshing pure honest to goodness Superhero story.

IT'S BEEN FREAKIN AGES!

I really want a Sequel. Hell my first reaction was that I wanted 15!! I definitely want follow-through on
    the mothers story. Man that had me gunning for a fight!

You know what though! I really liked how
    they kept it proper Superhero like that moment when he saved Sivana falling off the building!

So many nods to older generations and younger generations all packed into one.

GOH! It was just SO GOOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ThePott wrote: »
    Did a proper review no spoilers below

HEART!
    Yes definitely. This film really had
    some heart!

Great Shazam T-Shirt :)

Yellow card, sellotape and a Flash t-shirt turned back to front. I guess I can add Fashion Designer to the CV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just out of it.

It's good. I was expecting this one to be a hit with general audiences and now I'd be shocked if it isn't.

Simple, fun, straightforward. I think they fairly nailed what 15 year old with powers would act like. It's very enjoyable.

I equally loved all the references to the DC universe and was saddened by it because

I'm not sure we'll ever get to see this Shazam interact with Superman and Batman (at least not the current versions).

I really wish they had got Cavill in for that last scene.

8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Went to see it last night. Really enjoyed in.

Advertisement