Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

any jpg file i put up here seems to disappear after a few days :rolleyes: will have to resort back to the old fashion way of type your own post strategy for printing results

the 2 u21 semi finals were played today , as expected inagh k v kilmaley was close and exciting to say the least , while slight surprise in the other game between crusheen/tubber and doora/barefield in the other as the parish fell short again

newmarket and broadford will contest the B final , while in senior the last of the refixed games from last week in division 1B were played out today

Under 21A Hurling Championship Semi-Finals
    Crusheen/Tubber 0 - 15 St Joseph's Doora/Barefield 0 - 14
    Kilmaley 3 - 21 Inagh-Kilnamona 0 – 27 AET

Under 21B Hurling Championship Semi-Finals
    Newmarket-on-Fergus 1 - 13 Wolfe Tones 1 - 10
    Broadford 2 - 13 O'Callaghan's Mills 1 - 13

ClareCup Division 1B Round 1
    Ballyea 3-18 Scariff 1-12

Round 2
    Tubber 3 -11 Broadford 1 -15

big game for the footballers in thurles tomorrow , big ask in my opinion beating a tipperary side that is very much under performing themselves of late

form a clare point of view , our league was almost doomed from the start with players like sean o donahue and eoin cleary out for the best part of the first 5 games by the time the fermanagh game came around we were only starting to hit full tilt , while performances have been less then excellent up front our defensive structure looks good to be fair and did hold up well against meath the last day out

we will need the same from the boys at the back tomorrow against that excellent full forward line that tipp have ,
    sean o donahue on his day is probably our best player .....better then Brennan even which is a serious complement to have him back is huge , if all goes well for him in collingwood in the AFL this could be his last game in a clare shirt lets hope it can end in a win and a first over tipperary away since 1989

no sign of a clare team yet as they are waiting on one or two last minute injuries , aaron fitzgearld is a doubt , liam kerrins said he is missing half a team for this , if this is the team he is putting out tomorrow he should have little complaints to be fair :confused:

https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/1109199207796232197

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clare GAA never cease to annoy me, not a single update on the footballers yet through their Twitter page whereas Tipp GAA has had every score updated. 1-3 a piece after 13 minutes, sounds like a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Tipp 1-13 Clare 1-8 HT

Atrocious work-rate from Clare. Really really poor stuff from the Banner men today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like a belter of a game going by the twitter updates anyway.

Edit: and we survive with a great escape

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They won by 2,up the banner

WE ARE STAYING UP!!!!

Fantastic win from the Clare senior footballers today. Great to hear the Lovely rose of Clare blaring in Semple Stadium at match end. A great day for Clare football.

In separate news, social media are reporting that a certain Davy Fitz has agreed in principle to become Clare senior hurling manager for 2020. This is not confirmed news, but I just want to put it out in the domain that this sort of talk is out there. Interesting times await.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Fantastic win from the Clare senior footballers today. Great to hear the Lovely rose of Clare blaring in Semple Stadium at match end. A great day for Clare football.

In separate news, social media are reporting that a certain Davy Fitz has agreed in principle to become Clare senior hurling manager for 2020. This is not confirmed news, but I just want to put it out in the domain that this sort of talk is out there. Interesting times await.

Please please don’t let this happen. Absolutely despise the man.

Please please don’t let this happen. Absolutely despise the man.

the wheels have been in motion now for a while , in the last few years the development squads have been flying , doora barefield got the ball rolling with an u14 all ireland feile , then last year clare beat kilkenny in the u15 all ireland decider , that u15 team is compared similarly to the side that won the 3 in a row at 21s level under donal and gerry

the manager of that u15 side moved aside as far as i am aware of , he was due to take up the u17 job for this year , he was quickly replaced by fergal lynch fitz's forwards coach in 2015 and 2016 , then fitz himself returns to take over sixmilebridge again , the last time he was involved was at the end of his tenure with waterford , the simularities are striking to his introduction the last time

throw in the emerging talents of keelan guyler , diarmuid ryan , aidan mccarthy , gary cooney and thehighly rated 15s to 17s at the moment and there is another fairly descent crop of players on the way , who would want to miss out on that , espically when your father is over the county board ;)

i heard before christmas that his return was very much on the cards , if the bridge win a county in this year or next he will be automatic front runner for the job , plus the fact that no one will vote against it as most clubs in the county have floodlights and stands to pay for and need to keep in with the top brass , thats how he got in the last time ......brace your self .....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

the wheels have been in motion now for a while , in the last few years the development squads have been flying , doora barefield got the ball rolling with an u14 all ireland feile , then last year clare beat kilkenny in the u15 all ireland decider , that u15 team is compared similarly to the side that won the 3 in a row at 21s level under donal and gerry

the manager of that u15 side moved aside as far as i am aware of , he was due to take up the u17 job for this year , he was quickly replaced by fergal lynch fitz's forwards coach in 2015 and 2016 , then fitz himself returns to take over sixmilebridge again , the last time he was involved was at the end of his tenure with waterford , the simularities are striking to his introduction the last time

throw in the emerging talents of keelan guyler , diarmuid ryan , aidan mccarthy , gary cooney and thehighly rated 15s to 17s at the moment and there is another fairly descent crop of players on the way , who would want to miss out on that , espically when your father is over the county board ;)

i heard before christmas that his return was very much on the cards , if the bridge win a county in this year or next he will be automatic front runner for the job , plus the fact that no one will vote against it as most clubs in the county have floodlights and stands to pay for and need to keep in with the top brass , thats how he got in the last time ......brace your self .....:rolleyes:

If the clubs won't stand in the way to Fitz 2.0, then the players will have to stand up to the sheer arrogance of Pat Fitz whom I believe is running the show, in the Clare county board for far too long. PF makes Frank Murphy an angel compared to him.

The appointment of Fergal Lynch to the U17 hurlers role is a sign of his iron grip. Do you know what, I give up on Clare hurling now. I simply cannot tolerate bullies or control-freaks like PF, making some of the most important decisions that Clare GAA have faced for many a year now. Very sad indeed.
    So depressing.

I just cannot stomach the clear agenda and nepotism that the Bridge man has. He is doing catastrophic damage to Clare GAA, not just on the hurling side, with his laissez-faire attitude to football, also a cause of huge concern. He is even destroying his own club with the appointment of his son to the Bridge senior job. These are dark days for sure and puts a sour taste to what was a great day for Clare football.

Clare 3-15 1-19 Tipperary

probably the game of the day across the four divisions , while both teams set up to counter attack each other this was a forwards game from start to finish , conor sweeney had 1-1 up on the board inside four minutes clare chipped away got the next two points before gavin cooney took advantage of a breaking ball of the post to put us 1 point up after 10 minutes , sweeney caused havoc for our full back line and went on to score 1-6 before the end of the half , liam mcgrath stephan o brien and kevin fahey all kicked excellent scores as tipperary dominated the last 25 minutes of the half cooney , jamie malone and sean o'donohue all kicked descent scores on the counter for us but at half time it was one way traffic , tipperary led by 1-13 to 1-8 1-11 of which was from play 1-5 alone from play for conor sweeney

the aid of a strong wind and colm collins team talk still ringing in the players ears , clare were in front by the 43rd minute of the game , david tubridy kicked a monster score to get the ball rolling eoin cleary kicked two more before tubridy found the net to level the game gary brennan kicked over clare's 6th score without reply with 7 minutes of the second half played , tipp rallied and clare didnt score again until the 68th minute , conor sweeney continued to cause problems along with liam mcgrath it was looking seriously ominous with 3 minutes to go , late keelan sexton goal along with two excellent points by tubridy and brennan the last coming 6 minutes in to added time was enough to keep us up '

a huge win to be fair , first win over tipperary since 1992 , and first win in almost 30 years on tipp soil , and with the added advantage of 4 home games next year it will give us a chance to kick on again

Scorers

Clare

David Tubridy 1-3
    Gavin Cooney 1-1
    Keelan Sexton 1-1
    Eoin cleary 0-4
    Gary Brennan 0-2
    Jamie Malone 0-2
    Sean O'Donohue 0-1
    Cathal O'Connor 0-1

Tipperary

Conor sweeney 1-9
    liam McGrath 0-4
    Liam Casey 0-2
    Kevin Fahey 0-2
    Stephan O'Brien 0-2

If the clubs won't stand in the way to Fitz 2.0, then the players will have to stand up to the sheer arrogance of Pat Fitz whom I believe is running the show, in the Clare county board for far too long. PF makes Frank Murphy an angel compared to him.

The appointment of Fergal Lynch to the U17 hurlers role is a sign of his iron grip. Do you know what, I give up on Clare hurling now. I simply cannot tolerate bullies or control-freaks like PF, making some of the most important decisions that Clare GAA have faced for many a year now. Very sad indeed.
    So depressing.

I just cannot stomach the clear agenda and nepotism that the Bridge man has. He is doing catastrophic damage to Clare GAA, not just on the hurling side, with his laissez-faire attitude to football, also a cause of huge concern. He is even destroying his own club with the appointment of his son to the Bridge senior job. These are dark days for sure and puts a sour taste to what was a great day for Clare football.

sadly that is the one ugly area of the gaa, pat fitz is appointed by the HQ in croke park and cant be moved until someone sees fit to replace him or he resigns , in every county the secretary is the most powerful person on the board they cant be voted off unlike chairpersons or PROs we are just in the unique position where out head man is the father of one of the leading figures in the game of hurling at the moment and he always said he felt he had unfinished business in the county which ment a return was always on the cards i still think 2020 is a bit early i wouldnt be surprised if he gets involved in an underage roll first but he will be back at some stage i have little doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Figerty

sadly that is the one ugly area of the gaa, pat fitz is appointed by the HQ in croke park and cant be moved until someone sees fit to replace him or he resigns , in every county the secretary is the most powerful person on the board they cant be voted off unlike chairpersons or PROs we are just in the unique position where out head man is the father of one of the leading figures in the game of hurling at the moment and he always said he felt he had unfinished business in the county which ment a return was always on the cards i still think 2020 is a bit early i wouldnt be surprised if he gets involved in an underage roll first but he will be back at some stage i have little doubt

Have no doubt that Davy needs this job, not an underage job. Sure what other income has he?

Realistically it should be Daly or Lohan.

Figerty wrote: »
    Have no doubt that Davy needs this job, not an underage job. Sure what other income has he?

This is it in a nut shell, he needs to keep managing to keep afloat, this is his last year with Wexford so he'll need someone else lined up. It's well known that he'll be back, I think it's a disgraceful way to treat the lads that are there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Clareman wrote: »
    This is it in a nut shell, he needs to keep managing to keep afloat, this is his last year with Wexford so he'll need someone else lined up. It's well known that he'll be back, I think it's a disgraceful way to treat the lads that are there now.

That's just crazy talk, the guy destroyed the 2013 team that should have gone on and won multiple All-Irelands.

Looking at Nowlan Park today and the main stand they have compared to our "redeveloped" one you'd wonder coupled with the above is Clare GAA being used to benefit individuals or the whole county!!!

funnyname wrote: »
    That's just crazy talk, the guy destroyed the 2013 team that should have gone on and won multiple All-Irelands.

Looking at Nowlan Park today and the main stand they have compared to our "redeveloped" one you'd wonder coupled with the above is Clare GAA being used to benefit individuals or the whole county!!!

Sure he's been involved in 3 of the 4 All Ireland's, won a league blah blah blah.

His daddy is the Daddy of Clare GAA and if Davy needs to get back he'll be back, no other way about it unfortunately. I don't think managers should ever go back to a job they've left, that includes Daly coming back as well in my opinion.

i would have no problem with his return if he brings paul kinnerk back with him which will probably never happen :rolleyes:

Figerty wrote: »

i reckon he will come in as u21 manager or something first , while doing media work and bridge manager , also that program on rte has made him a few pound too

if he was to takeover in the near future he will lose 3 or 4 players instantly especially david mcinerney who fitz claimed himself and his father jim led the crusade to get rid of him the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

funnyname wrote: »

Based on what exactly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

My assumption would have been that if 2019 goes well, the current management team remains in place.

if for whatever reason the current management do not continue, then it should be opened up to potential candidates or nominations.

You'd can't appoint someone without going through due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

My assumption would have been that if 2019 goes well, the current management team remains in place.

if for whatever reason the current management do not continue, then it should be opened up to potential candidates or nominations.

You'd can't appoint someone without going through due process.

Well in theory you shouldn't be able. In democracies that function you shouldn't be able to. However the Clare county board a.k.a. Fitzgerald & Son. then anything goes. In 2007 Tony Considine was railroaded in after a rant on Clare FM about Loughnane going to Galway and over six months made a thundering balls of it. He made the fatal mistake of annoying Davy by making him slog around like everyone else in hard training even though Davy thought he had free reign then. Pat and Davy don't forget and with the best will in the world Considine was neither capable nor where Clare capable then, of winning an all-Ireland. That would have been his only salvation. Instead he had Philip Brennan in goals they had training disputes, coaching disputes and annoyed plenty of clubs with the way it was being run. The public show in Thurles then in the scrap with Cork players was the last straw. Clare laboured on for a few months before Fitzy ran him out. You cross the Fitz clan at your peril. If Davy sees fit then he will get the ould lad to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The current management have outstayed there welcome, I can only seeing them remain if we win the all Ireland, which given current form and the inability to adapt I cannot see us doing.

If Davy is put in I'd say 6-7 will be stepping away from the panel.

Shane_ef wrote: »
    The current management have outstayed there welcome, I can only seeing them remain if we win the all Ireland, which given current form and the inability to adapt I cannot see us doing.

If Davy is put in I'd say 6-7 will be stepping away from the panel.

I don't know about outstaying their welcome but 3 years is usually the limit to management teams without winning something so if they don't get to at least an All Ireland semi final I'd say their time is up.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Based on what exactly??

Based on the fact that they were 1 of the best under 21 teams every to be produced by any county and they had won an All Ireland.

Looking at this team's performance since they won the All Ireland

2014 - 0 wins out of 3
    2015 - 1 win out of 3
    2016 - 2 wins out of 4
    2017 - 1 win out of 3
    2018 - 4 wins out of 8

That's a very poor return for any team let alone a team just after winning an All Ireland but last year showed when we get a bit of luck we can beat anyone but we aren't always the best at making our own luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

WE ARE STAYING UP!!!!

It was a great day in Thurles yesterday. Up there with the Division 3 final win in Croke Park. Such emotion on the pitch afterwards.

There was some emotion on Clare FM as well, very important to stay up, fair to say we're the second best team in Munster now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Based on the fact that they were 1 of the best under 21 teams every to be produced by any county and they had won an All Ireland.

Looking at this team's performance since they won the All Ireland

2014 - 0 wins out of 3
    2015 - 1 win out of 3
    2016 - 2 wins out of 4
    2017 - 1 win out of 3
    2018 - 4 wins out of 8

That's a very poor return for any team let alone a team just after winning an All Ireland but last year showed when we get a bit of luck we can beat anyone but we aren't always the best at making our own luck.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that they haven't underachieved, but to state that they should have won multiple AI's is ludicrous to be honest. And there is absolutely zero correlation between U21 and Senior, two different games altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There was some emotion on Clare FM as well, very important to stay up, fair to say we're the second best team in Munster now

Yeah, it's a pity we are on the same side of the draw as Kerry again though in the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

finbarrk wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a pity we are on the same side of the draw as Kerry again though in the championship.

Really we're the no. 2 team in Munster

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement