Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eyrie wrote: »
    ariana` wrote: »
    How long in your long run - is there any way you could do it on Friday perhaps or would that throw the rest of the week out too much?
    Itziger wrote: »
    Could you either bring the LR forward, say to Friday or Saturday or put it off a day or two? A 5k won't do too much damage so you'd be on for a LR - without 'stuff' - a couple of days later.
    Thanks both. Bringing it forward is probably be the best option, I might fit it in on Friday although it would mean skipping the tempo I would otherwise be doing then. But I guess it's better to miss the tempo than the long run?

Doing it a few days after the race would throw off the following week too much I think.

Would it be too much to combine the two? 30minute warmup+tempo+30minute cooldown? I’d probably keep it easy myself but it might work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Question for anyone doing the MSB 5k on Monday, or indeed general thoughts on Monday races: what do you do about your LSR? This isn't a goal race for me so I'm not tapering but I might do a mini taper or easy day or two before the race just so the legs are a little bit fresher. But missing the long run isn't ideal. Any thoughts?

I'm doing MSB and my long run has been dropped from my plan for this week. It must be borne in mind that I raced a half last weekend. My plan is easy run tomorrow, session on Thursday, rest Friday, easy hour on Saturday and shakedown on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Would it be too much to combine the two? 30minute warmup+tempo+30minute cooldown? I’d probably keep it easy myself but it might work for you?
    Actually that might work. I'll see how energetic I feel come Friday and decide whether to keep it easy or incorporate the tempo too. Could be manageable though!
    The other possibility is to bring the tempo forward to Thursday, long run Friday and easy over the weekend. Only gives me one rest day between sessions (tomorrow) but they're not crazy hard sessions. Might cut back on something all the same, I'll see. Thanks :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm doing MSB and my long run has been dropped from my plan for this week. It must be borne in mind that I raced a half last weekend. My plan is easy run tomorrow, session on Thursday, rest Friday, easy hour on Saturday and shakedown on Sunday.
    Ah well you're fully justified! I've no such excuse to be missing long runs, and I missed one two weeks ago as it is. I'll keep an eye out for you on Monday though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I'm guessing theirs no set answer to this, everyone will be different.

5km, if you have a time in mind, divide by 5 and that's your KM time or go out a bit slower on first Km and make it up after???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Slightly faster on the first and last kms, and aim for ten seconds under your target time

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

RayCun wrote: »
    Slightly faster on the first and last kms, and aim for ten seconds under your target time

OOh, that's different, I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

vargoo wrote:
    5km, if you have a time in mind, divide by 5 and that's your KM time or go out a bit slower on first Km and make it up after???

Theres no right answer for this. Some people go out hard and hang on. Some people start slower and grow into the race. Which type are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭thefa

Doing a team relay in the marathon - both males and females. Any good recommendations for getting team singlets/shirts at a reasonable price?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for this. Why do you aim for slightly faster on the first km?

• Advertisement

Thanks for this. Why do you aim for slightly faster on the first km?

The first couple of hundred metres of the race will be fast. If you slow down too much in response to that, the second k will be too slow. So accept that you will start fast. If you pass the one k mark a few seconds ahead of pace you are probably going at the right speed at that moment. If you pass the mark at the 'right' time, you are going too slow at that moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

What to do. Run faster, slow down, pick a ditch.....

(Had problems when AMK passed me on Sunday morning, he must have cursed me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

jamule wrote: »

Did you do anything different on the morning of the race?? Or the night before?

Did you do the obligatory 2 poo's before the race :) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Did you do anything different on the morning of the race?? Or the night before?

Did you do the obligatory 2 poo's before the race :) ?

All standard pre race. May have eaten too much the day before but nothing out of the ordinary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Run faster so you're able to get to a toilet quicker? :D

It's just one of those things that happen very rarely, but if they happen that really sucks. No real advice - it may have been due to eating too much the day before but it may just have been very bad luck.

P.S. anyone posting THAT picture is asking for a timeout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pick a ditch, and always bring loo paper!.

When I started running first it seemed like I was caught short almost every second or turd (lol, sorry) run. It got to a stage where I was struggling to put any distance up because of how frequently I was caught out.

Apart from using the bathroom before going out I tend to avoid coffee in the hours before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Is there an app to convert pace per miles to pace per km? I know most my paces off by heart but there are always a few where you'd be estimating the pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is there an app to convert pace per miles to pace per km? I know most my paces off by heart but there are always a few where you'd be estimating the pace

Pace+ by AvH is by far my favorite. Blue icon with runner symbol in the middle on the play store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Thanks Swashbuckler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Pick a ditch, and always bring loo paper!.

When I started running first it seemed like I was caught short almost every second or turd (lol, sorry) run. It got to a stage where I was struggling to put any distance up because of how frequently I was caught out.

Apart from using the bathroom before going out I tend to avoid coffee in the hours before.

Got caught out last night for the first time, I'm relatively new to running. Got about 1.5km from the house at a 5.45 pace, I usually start fast then settle to just over 6.00, but turned around and got back to the house at about 5.15 pace. my 3km PB. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Got caught out last night for the first time, I'm relatively new to running. Got about 1.5km from the house at a 5.45 pace, I usually start fast then settle to just over 6.00, but turned around and got back to the house at about 5.15 pace. my 3km PB. :o

Worst one I got was getting caught short a few hundred meters from The Golf Links pub in Portmarnock, by the time I got to the pub I'd swear I must have looked like Roger Bannister sprinting through the lounge to get to the loo's.

When I came out bathed in sweat and relief all over my face it was fairly obvious to the customers what had happened, laughs were had :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Pace per km = Pace per mile / 1.609 :)

If you have a few anchor points
    6 min mile = 3:45/km
    8 min mile = 5/km
    you can work from there knowing that 10 seconds/km is 16 seconds/mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

If you have a few anchor points
    6 min mile = 3:45/km
    8 min mile = 5/km
    you can work from there knowing that 10 seconds/km is 16 seconds/mile

This reminds me of something I read recently about how you can convert miles and kilometres using the Fibonacci sequence. It totally blew my nerdy mind!
    The Fibonacci sequence is basically a sequence of numbers where you add two numbers to get the next, so 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+5=8...
    The sequence is, 2,3,5,8,13,21.....
    Look familiar? 3 miles is approx 5km, 5 miles is approx 8km and so on. You can use it for numbers in between too https://catonmat.net/fibonacci-miles-kilometers

Or you can just use an app! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

chickey2 wrote: »
    This reminds me of something I read recently about how you can convert miles and kilometres using the Fibonacci sequence. It totally blew my nerdy mind!
    The Fibonacci sequence is basically a sequence of numbers where you add two numbers to get the next, so 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+5=8...
    Look familiar? 3 miles is approx 5km, 5 miles is approx 8km and so on. You can use it for numbers in between too https://catonmat.net/fibonacci-miles-kilometers

😯 thats awesome!

5ive wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Doing Craughwell 10mile on Sunday....got my email there saying no iPods or earphones!! I need me choons!!!
    Have never had this rule in a race before-anyone encounter this?
    Is it strict or a 'guideline' type thing or what can I do??
    Thanks in advance

If it says "no" it's strict not a guideline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 5ive

If it says "no" it's strict not a guideline.

Gosh thanks. Very informative. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

5ive wrote:

The roads don't get fully closed for that race so it's certainly strict in this instance for your own safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

What did you expect? Nah, go on sure you're grand, seeing as it's yerself...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

http://www.graemestewart.com/running-pace-and-speed-conversion-table/

I'd often have a quick glance at this to remind me of paces before a run......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Used to happen to me too...your body adjusts quite quickly tho..

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »
    What did you expect? Nah, go on sure you're grand, seeing as it's yerself...?

Firstly, thanks skyblue46 and 'yerself' for the great responses to my question. Really nice welcome to the athletics forum.

Secondly, it's a shame there wasn't more knowledge behind your comments but as the saying goes, empty vessels really do make the most noise.
    After seeing loads of people with headphones before the race I asked one of the organisers about the rule and they said it is a rule in all road races now for insurance purposes but it is not enforced in most races. So you wear them at your own risk.

There you go, it really is a guideline and a case of "ah shur you're grand."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Firstly, thanks skyblue46 and 'yerself' for the great responses to my question. Really nice welcome to the athletics forum.

Secondly, it's a shame there wasn't more knowledge behind your comments but as the saying goes, empty vessels really do make the most noise.
    After seeing loads of people with headphones before the race I asked one of the organisers about the rule and they said it is a rule in all road races now for insurance purposes but it is not enforced in most races. So you wear them at your own risk.

Look up cognitive dissonance in the dictionary

Your stupid question got the answer it merited

deisedude wrote: »
    Look up cognitive dissonance in the dictionary

Your stupid question got the answer it merited

How was it stupid, oh wise one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Ignoring the primadonna stuff you might get away with wearing your headphones. Equally you might get pulled up on it and denied an official result for your race. Your choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

How was it stupid, oh wise one?
    You are getting good advice from experienced runners on this forum, I suggest you tone down the attitude a bit.

Actually : Mod note: the above is not a suggestion.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Ignoring the primadonna stuff you might get away with wearing your headphones. Equally you might get pulled up on it and denied an official result for your race. Your choice really.

They'd be pulling up alot of people then, far too many to deny all their results. It's enforced in other countries but not here yet.

Steve wrote: »
    You are getting good advice from experienced runners on this forum, I suggest you tone down the attitude a bit.

Actually : Mod note: the above is not a suggestion.

mod snip.

please discuss moderation via pm. thanks.

What good advice is that? I got one decent answer and the rest was textbook keyboard warrior nastiness; that was wrong too by the way.
    I'll ban myself don't worry.

I don't see how a simple answer is keyboard warrior stuff but as you'd prefer a longer answer I would be delighted to provide one.

Organisers go to a lot of bother to put on races. They make many simple requests of runners from time to time. They will ask that I wear my number on the front of my vest, that I run on the left hand side of the road, that I don't cut a particular corner on the course or that I don't wear headphones. Out of respect I will do what I am asked. It's as simple as that. An instruction is just that and I feel no need to defy them for my own needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

I don't see how a simple answer is keyboard warrior stuff but as you'd prefer a longer answer I would be delighted to provide one.

Organisers go to a lot of bother to put on races. They make many simple requests of runners from time to time. They will ask that I wear my number on the front of my vest, that I run on the left hand side of the road, that I don't cut a particular corner on the course or that I don't wear headphones. Out of respect I will do what I am asked. It's as simple as that. An instruction is just that and I feel no need to defy them for my own needs.

Don't mind them, they were a sh*%e group anyway......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

chickey2 wrote: »

I've always found it immensely pleasing that the conversion factor of kilometres to miles is (almost) the Golden Ratio. Another one of those numerical oddities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

He's banned himself, so he can't hear you. Which is ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Any suggestions for a nice run around Spanish Point (Clare)?. Out there for a wedding and will be staying at the Armada for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

New to this section, and reading through last couple of pages was surprised to see that headphones are not allowed in some races. Is this a common thing or very rare?

So far (only started running last year) I have never come across it. I only do local road races and fun runs in wicklow and wexford

R.F. wrote: »
    New to this section, and reading through last couple of pages was surprised to see that headphones are not allowed in some races. Is this a common thing or very rare?

It is becoming more common. Runners wearing headphones often can't hear traffic, which is dangerous on open roads. They can't hear instructions from marshalls. They can't hear wheelchairs, ambulances, motorbikes coming behind them. They can't hear other runners overtaking and so veer out in front of them.

(Everyone says they are aware of their surroundings when listening to music, but still all of the above happen regularly)

People often think they need music when they are starting running. Nobody needs music to run. Try a few runs without headphones and you'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

That's true. Pretty much never run with headphones now, always wore them when I started.

Much prefer running without them now.

• Advertisement

I'm probably going explain this badly but wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. For the last 10 days or so I've been finding most of my runs a massive struggle compared to normal. Supposedly "easy" runs in particular - effort much higher, heart rate way up, pace way slower. I feel fine the rest of the time so not sick or anything, just knackered when it comes to running. Also tired muscles in my legs after sessions and long runs, which I never get normally. It feels like just being way less fit all of a sudden, but I didn't think fitness could just randomly drop like that. Sleep and diet both same as normal so no major changes there that would explain it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can't imagine going to my GP with my only symptom being "I'm worse at running than I should be..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'm probably going explain this badly but wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. For the last 10 days or so I've been finding most of my runs a massive struggle compared to normal. Supposedly "easy" runs in particular - effort much higher, heart rate way up, pace way slower. I feel fine the rest of the time so not sick or anything, just knackered when it comes to running. Also tired muscles in my legs after sessions and long runs, which I never get normally. It feels like just being way less fit all of a sudden, but I didn't think fitness could just randomly drop like that. Sleep and diet both same as normal so no major changes there that would explain it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can't imagine going to my GP with my only symptom being "I'm worse at running than I should be..."

As I've been a couple of running books recently, the only other thing that springs to mind (if diet / sleep etc is ok as you say) is "overtraining" which seems to have some of those symptoms. But I wouldn't have thought you were guilty of that, going by Strava...?

Could be low iron levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Could be low iron levels.

+1, Just about to post the same.

Thanks, I was wondering about iron myself as I've had major issues with this in the past and am definitely prone to it. It felt different previously as I had a lot of dizziness too which I'm not having now, but it might be that all the same. Going to start taking it again and see if that helps. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement