Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn

Options
  • 22-10-2018 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

For One Magical Night Only!

An_Evening_with_Beverly_Luff_Linn.jpg

This magical film was incredible. So unique and original. If you like standard modern Hollywood films, that are "normal", this is not for you. But if you like goofy, kooky, and the bizarre, with powerfully weird acting, then this will glue a massive smile on your face. More so, if you've seen 2016's disgustingly funny The Greasy Strangler, and enjoyed it, then watch An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn, as it's from the same writer/director, Jim Hosking.

Aubrey Plaza (as Lulu Danger, great name), Jemaine Clement, Emile Hirsch, and Craig Robinson are the main cast. But it's like the entire cast went to "Nicolas Cage's Masterclass In Acting", and they failed. They all failed the class. And it's just hilarious.

I know most will probably ignore this film. There's crime documentaries and superhero series to watch on Netflix, Halloween's coming so it's horror movie time, but I hope some odd folk find as much enjoyment from this glorious film as I did.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I read about this in Sight & Sound. The Greasy Strangler was one of the outright weirdest and distinctive films I saw in 2016 (with a great soundtrack from Andrew Hung too) so I'm definitely interested in seeing this. The cast is very promising too. Just need to find a screening near me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Trailer reminds me a bit of some of Timothy Spanos' creations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Coming to Netflix next Monday, 28th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Has anyone watched this yet? I didn't think it was brilliant but it was bizarrely endearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i love my strange films but this was just terrible love the cast but i was completely bored by it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I thought this was an improvement on The Greasy Strangler which bored the arse off me but still not very good. This director seems to think random = funny, it can be of course but it can also just be dumb. I will say though the bit where Beverly
    was on that exercise swing thing
    made me laugh hard, but 1 laugh in a 90 minute comedy is not good enough. I won't be watching Jim Hosking's next movie or his tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I dunno if I enjoyed it but I couldn't stop watching it ! Some hilarious bits. Same kind of humour as the likes of Napoleon Dynamite I guess if you like that kinda thing, which I do.

I lasted 40 minutes with "Bumblebee" but watched all of "An Evening.."

And I ain't especially any fan of offbeat film. My favourite film ever is Speed but there was something endearing about Beverly.

There was an Australian spoof medical soap called "Let the blood run free" in the
    early 90's and the style of acting in Beverly brought me right back to it. A show I hadn't thought about in years.

Advertisement