Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travel TV

Options
  • 11-03-2019 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi all,

I did search but could not find a previous thread. Has anyone got any TV recommendations for those who like to travel/take holidays? I was watching Race Across the World last night and I was looking for more travel tv. Have watched some of Anthony Bourdain's stuff and also Departures on Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I really enjoyed Travel Man, Richard Ayoade's show. He goes on holidays with other comedians. It's on 4OD. I always liked the show's tagline, 'We're here but should we have come?'. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

+1 for Travel Man above

Getaways on RTE, RTE Player & BBC
    Rick Steins Weekends (& others) on Good Food - food orientated but not exclusively so

Do you have access to Travel Channel? Channel 198 on Sky but also available FTA on satellite AFAIK

Or see if there's anything here.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:British_travel_television_series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

+1 for Rick Steins long weekends! His Venice to Istanbul
    show is great too and it’s often repeated. Think it might be the food channel.
    Slightly on the geeky side, but I have got some great holiday ideas from Michael Portillo’s “ Great Railway Journeys”

I can also recommend Gino’s Adriatic Escape travel with a bit of cooking thrown in for good measure which was on BBC 2 recently.

I pine for the old globetrotter shows!

I should have added on previous post that if interested in Japan NHK world has some really good programmers about travel in Japan. Watch out for J Trip Plan....I have loads of them recorded on my recorder box....not sure if it is currently on.
    https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/program/video/jtripplan/

Another favourite of mine again another gastronomic road trip is
    “ Ottolenghis Mediterranean Island Feast”
    Watched the series about 6/7 times ...never tire of the fab scenery!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Can't beat the likes of Michael Palin (Around the World in 80 Days is an absolute classic), Simon Reeve or Levison Wood. Palin's early series in particular are paeans to pure travel; Reeve and Wood weave in more journalism

Some surprising people have fronted decent travel shows - Chris Tarrant (Extreme Railways), Griff Rhys Jones (Slow Train Through Africa), Joanna Lumley (several series actually), Jonathan Dimbleby (Russia), Michael Portillo (as mentioned above)

Bruce Parry (Tribe) takes it to extremes, but no less fascinating for that.

And at their best, the Top Gear big adventures are very enjoyable rambles.

All the above do require you to differentiate between Travel TV and Holiday TV. Nothing wrong with the latter of course, though Ayoade never really did it for me, but they are two different things

• Advertisement

The Mekong River with Sue Perkins is currently being repeated on BBC4. Saw the tail end of it last night!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02c4xxm/p02c4xks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The bbc iplayer is great as many series are up there for a good while.

Rick Stein's Long Weekends are on it at the moment. A nice blend between travel, food and culture.

Ade Adepitan has an interesting series on Africa at the moment. This guy emigrated to London with his parents at the age of 3 after he got polio. One of his legs is disabled as a result and in the series he has to push his way around in his wheelchair on horrible surfaces or hobble on crutches.

He goes through various countries and you get a feel for the madness that is that continent. He interviewed one young upcoming opposition leader and a couple of weeks later one of his security guards was killed after a hit.

He also chats to a guy who is knee deep in a salt lake trying to extract salt for a penny a kilo. A great insight into why young men are desperate to get into Europe for a better life.

I have only seen a couple of episodes of both above but well worth watching

Rick Stein's Mexico is also excellent.

Simon Reeves has some good travel programmes on the iplayer too touching more on the culture and socio-economic issues of the places he visits.

Some of the above may also be on youtube, prime or netflix.

A couple of more that sometimes are on -
    The Hairy Bikers' Mediterranean Adventure (wonderful scenery as they drive the bikes)

The Hairy Bikers' Northern Exposure - they bike around the Baltics, Sweden, Finland and Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Thanks so much for all the replies, some real gems in here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Michael Palin's 'Around the World in 80 Days' remains the high watermark for me.

His 'Pole to Pole' series is on YT in its entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Any of Billy Connolly s travel shows are very good.he doesn't take himself to seriously and there's a bit of his stand up material thrown in as well.
    The world tour series.particularly world tour of Australia.brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement

Check out “Race across the World” on BBC if you haven't already seen it.
    I’m current catching up with it on my recorder box. It’s really good.

5 pairs have to travel from London to Singapore without using a flight are are not allowed to use their own smart technology to aid them, only a good old fashioned map and travel book.
    They are given points along the journey where they have to check in and last couple to check in at each point gets eliminated!
    It’s old fashioned travel and back packing at its best!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p071h5lx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Sundew wrote: »

5 pairs have to travel from London to Singapore without using a flight are are not allowed to use their own smart technology to aid them, only a good old fashioned map and travel book.
    They are given points along the journey where they have to check in and last couple to check in at each point gets eliminated!

It is so good! It is what got me to start this thread here. There is also a thread in the tv forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057963424

Some spoilers in there!

It is so good! It is what got me to start this thread here. There is also a thread in the tv forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057963424

Some spoilers in there!

Ooh I better not check the thread so until I watch episode 4 as I have been recording the repeats I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Sundew wrote: »

Looks very interesting. Can it be watched online anywhere??

Looks very interesting. Can it be watched online anywhere??

Can’t seem to find any links to first two episodes as I can’t view it on BBC player.

Episode 3 is repeated tonight on BBC2 at 11.15pm and episode 4 is on Sunday night at 9pm. The first 2 involve travelling from London to Baku.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you're up for something a little different, An Idiot Abroad is a hilarious travel show featuring Karl Pilkington being Karl Pilkington.

Advertisement