Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Kehoe did come on

And he scored 2 points shortly having come on I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think the point was that Kehoe should have been brought on earlier which is probably fair enough. Would have no fears about him being pitched in at the deep end come May, though. If seamie or anyone isn’t finding form, then I’d love to see Mark get his chance, if you’re good enough you’re old enough.

As regards seamie, it hasn’t been happening but i still have faith. Just have the feeling he could up and destroy a full back any day soon, maybe blind faith at this stage but it’s still there at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

back from the game, enjoyable enough.
    the league in fairness means nothing i think, and what i post below is not a reaction to tonight.
    the reason i think tipp will struggle this year in munster is based on the championship in 2018 and the fact we have generally the same guys who are now 1 year older and for some have been hurling with tipp 10 years.
    i have a fear this year we could get some of the thrashings we nearly got last year.
    sheedy had 2 choices, back the established or introduce the youth.
    It seems he has made his choice and i have an awful feeling his tenure wont recover from a poor showing this year if he does not have the excuse of building for the future.

There's more than two choices. He could have blended more players in - might happen yet. He could have got rid of the older guard.

Why are you making wide sweeping statements about his tenure after one league campaign?

The thrashings we nearly got? What?

Well, we all know why. You need to get over Cahill not getting the job.

There are many factors that make the context of last year very different to last year.

I think the point was that Kehoe should have been brought on earlier which is probably fair enough. Would have no fears about him being pitched in at the deep end come May, though. If seamie or anyone isn’t finding form, then I’d love to see Mark get his chance, if you’re good enough you’re old enough.

As regards seamie, it hasn’t been happening but i still have faith. Just have the feeling he could up and destroy a full back any day soon, maybe blind faith at this stage but it’s still there at least!

Mark Kehoe will start against Cork. It will be a mistake if he doesn't. Only Forde, O'Meara, and Dan are undropable in the forward line in my book.

I still think Dan should go to midfield with Noelie. That's two intelligent and creative players who can win possession - they can read a game and position themselves. Breen should be pushed forward.

Mark Kehoe will start against Cork. It will be a mistake if he doesn't. Only Forde, O'Meara, and Dan are undropable in the forward line in my book.

I still think Dan should go to midfield with Noelie. That's two intelligent and creative players who can win possession - they can read a game and position themselves. Breen should be pushed forward.

Hard to predict front 6 i think. Lot of possible permutations. Wherever you think players should or could play, fact is Forde, Callanan and Kehoe would all be happiest at full. I’m glad it’s sheedy and O’Shea sorting that conundrum out and not me.

Quite happy with back 6 as it looks, particularly with Bren back in the mix. I see ronan having a big summer and would like to see him back at 6 and growing into the leader i believe he can become.

Midfield i like Noel there so far but would worry that a partnership with breen is at risk of being overpowered on certain days. I’m not blaming him for it, but using his size and physique to get stuck in and bully opponents isn’t really Mick’s game. He’s great when we’re winning battles elsewhere and can move into space and take up positions to receive scoring chances.

Dan to midfield would definitely work alright. But as for pushing Mick forward, I’m not sure who you’d want to drop to accommodate him there. Option off the bench at least i guess.

• Advertisement

Hard to predict front 6 i think. Lot of possible permutations. Wherever you think players should or could play, fact is Forde, Callanan and Kehoe would all be happiest at full. I’m glad it’s sheedy and O’Shea sorting that conundrum out and not me.

Quite happy with back 6 as it looks, particularly with Bren back in the mix. I see ronan having a big summer and would like to see him back at 6 and growing into the leader i believe he can become.

Midfield i like Noel there so far but would worry that a partnership with breen is at risk of being overpowered on certain days. I’m not blaming him for it, but using his size and physique to get stuck in and bully opponents isn’t really Mick’s game. He’s great when we’re winning battles elsewhere and can move into space and take up positions to receive scoring chances.

Dan to midfield would definitely work alright. But as for pushing Mick forward, I’m not sure who you’d want to drop to accommodate him there. Option off the bench at least i guess.

A lot of teams are playing a diamond around the edge of the square. Two in front of the square and another player about five to ten yards ahead of that two. Leaving the space in the corners - and running out to ball moved out to the wing. Tipp started with that formation yesterday. Nothing to stop them having three full forwards in there. I'd prefer it to be Forde, Kehoe, and Jake at this stage. BUt we should have already seen that in this league.

Perms and Combs for the football next weekend

Meath beat Clare by 5 points in Ennis so Tipp (SD -9) , Clare (-8), Cork (-22) are tied on 3 points.

Tipp beat Clare in Semple next weekend and Cork fail to beat Armagh in Armagh, Tipp stay in division 2 for 2020.

If Tipp and Clare draw and Cork draw with Armagh, Clare will stay up on score difference

If Tipp and Cork win, Cork stay up by having better head to head than Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

There's more than two choices. He could have blended more young players in with the guys already there - might happen yet. He could have got rid of the older guard.

Why are you making wide sweeping statements about his tenure after one league campaign?

The thrashings we nearly got? What?

Well, we all know why. You need to get over Cahill not getting the job.

There are many factors that make the context of last year very different to last year.

your post is a little zany. sweeping statements??
    cork and wateford both should have beaten us well and limerick did. do you go to games?

if the same players are chosen this year as last year then the only difference is sheedy and his management.

I wanted cahill to get the job because he was the best candidate and i only want the best for tipp. but i wish sheedy well and hope he helps tipp to a good year.

your post is a little zany. sweeping statements??
    cork and wateford both should have beaten us well and limerick did. do you go to games?

if the same players are chosen this year as last year then the only difference is sheedy and his management.

I wanted cahill to get the job because he was the best candidate and i only want the best for tipp. but i wish sheedy well and hope he helps tipp to a good year.

Should - should they have? Why? They didn't. End of. I went to all of those games. Limerick won the All-Ireland. The two teams who beat us won the all-ireland and the other lost a replay of the semi-final by the bare minium.

There's a big difference. Totally different style of approach this year.

He was the best candidate in your opinion. Cahill still has a chance to win more this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Tbf it’s a similar side which delivered in ‘16 to the one which faded so badly last season and is there now.

Never like loosing games but in September I doubt any of us will be giving the league a second thought.

I was only talking earlier to one of our all Ireland winners and both of us couldn’t understand why Sheedy played so many of the same players in all the games. Do fellas the wrong side of 30 really need to be played every week?

No manager was gonna have a clear out of the old guard, primarily because they’re top players who’ve delivered before ( and I hope they do again). However, injuries may have dictated his selections.

• Advertisement

digzy wrote: »
    Tbf it’s a similar side which delivered in ‘16 to the one which faded so badly last season and is there now.

Never like loosing games but in September I doubt any of us will be giving the league a second thought.

I was only talking earlier to one of our all Ireland winners and both of us couldn’t understand why Sheedy played so many of the same players in all the games. Do fellas the wrong side of 30 really need to be played every week?

No manager was gonna have a clear out of the old guard, primarily because they’re top players who’ve delivered before ( and I hope they do again). However, injuries may have dictated his selections.

I hate things like this but I'll say it anyway - the last time Tipp won an All-Ireland, they lost a league quarter final by a point. I think.

Some players just hit 30. I don't think anyone has hit 31 yet.

We had a bad run in of injuries and bad form into a new type of Munster championship format that Michael Ryan badly judged. He tried to rotate for the opening game and it came a cropper. It had started with the league final.I'm relieved we're out of the league to be honest. These players play too much. J McG is still trying to get right after that Loughmore crisis of fixtures and a horrible groin injury that he kept playing on.

Sheedy is very conservative in selection and tactics. O'Shea is not. It was a combination. Sheedy a backs man. O'Shea a forwards man.

Seamie Callanan was a sub when Sheedy won the minor and senior All-Irelands. That might be a factor in both their heads. But I'm sure they sort it. Both have come a long way since then. But Callana would not be a Sheedy or Cahill kind of player. He's definitely an O'Shea type.

I think Sheedy wants a huge performance against Cork down in Cork to get the ball rolling. Because those fixtures are so tight together - it's very important to get momentum from the get-go. And yes he is trying to play lads into super fitness and form from the get-go. I think Sheedy needs to be more open minded with the likes of English, Brian McGrath, and Kehoe.

A lot of teams are playing a diamond around the edge of the square. Two in front of the square and another player about five to ten yards ahead of that two. Leaving the space in the corners - and running out to ball moved out to the wing. Tipp started with that formation yesterday. Nothing to stop them having three full forwards in there. I'd prefer it to be Forde, Kehoe, and Jake at this stage. BUt we should have already seen that in this league.

Is there alternative term for this other than “diamond formation”? Just sounds a bit Terry Venablesish ;)

Must admit, being too stubbornly old school I’m not the best at keeping up with all this tactical innovation. I’d just trust a guy with EOS to come up with an effective system. We have a lot of very good, skillful forwards on paper, but seeing them as a fully functioning and deadly unit is another matter.

I would think all ire sf is a fair minimum target for us this year, but would be far less confident about it without Dan. He’s the key man for me. Seems to me we have guys who can step up on any given day and deliver a performance, but not enough who will be 7/10 or better every day. Dan is one of those guys and we badly need him imo.

Is there alternative term for this other than “diamond formation”? Just sounds a bit Terry Venablesish ;)

Must admit, being too stubbornly old school I’m not the best at keeping up with all this tactical innovation. I’d just trust a guy with EOS to come up with an effective system. We have a lot of very good, skillful forwards on paper, but seeing them as a fully functioning and deadly unit is another matter.

I would think all ire sf is a fair minimum target for us this year, but would be far less confident about it without Dan. He’s the key man for me. Seems to me we have guys who can step up on any given day and deliver a performance, but not enough who will be 7/10 or better every day. Dan is one of those guys and we badly need him imo.

Phwoaarrrrrr. did Terry not prefer the Christmas tree formation?? :D

I agree we need Dan. For me, he offers far more than Bonnar and i say this as a big fan of the Lorrha lion.

Hard to know whats going on with Seamie at the moment. hes way out of sorts and looks as if he hasnt hit a ball in quite some time.

I hate things like this but I'll say it anyway - the last time Tipp won an All-Ireland, they lost a league quarter final by a point. I think.

Some players just hit 30. I don't think anyone has hit 31 yet.

We had a bad run in of injuries and bad form into a new type of Munster championship format that Michael Ryan badly judged. He tried to rotate for the opening game and it came a cropper. It had started with the league final.I'm relieved we're out of the league to be honest. These players play too much. J McG is still trying to get right after that Loughmore crisis of fixtures and a horrible groin injury that he kept playing on.

Sheedy is very conservative in selection and tactics. O'Shea is not. It was a combination. Sheedy a backs man. O'Shea a forwards man.

Seamie Callanan was a sub when Sheedy won the minor and senior All-Irelands. That might be a factor in both their heads. But I'm sure they sort it. Both have come a long way since then. But Callana would not be a Sheedy or Cahill kind of player. He's definitely an O'Shea type.

I think Sheedy wants a huge performance against Cork down in Cork to get the ball rolling. Because those fixtures are so tight together - it's very important to get momentum from the get-go. And yes he is trying to play lads into super fitness and form from the get-go. I think Sheedy needs to be more open minded with the likes of English, Brian McGrath, and Kehoe.

Agree with everything here. Spot on

digzy wrote: »

I will say this, Ryan chopped and changed so much last year. Sheedy wants experience where necessary (and to be fair he didnt have a full deck to play with). He may also want to establish a core of a team

A 20-year-old Bonnar Maher didnt hit a ball in the 2010 league aside from the final Offaly game so more youngsters may come into play yet.

But will O'Shea be solving anything?

The statement said he will be advisor to management after the league. Will he'll be working with the players or with management?

I think one way of bringing in a new coach without stepping on Egan's or Dunne's toes is as an advisor to them and not doing their job for them.

Also how bad was the pull on Joe o'Dwyer? Was opposite side of field to me. Heard it rather than saw it. Sheedy and Egan went buck.

Less than a minute later - goalkeeper sends a short puck out to O'Dwyer. O'Dwyer loses the ball to a Dublin player. Point. Inexperience from the keeper. No short pucks to lads who have just been treated for a bang to the head. Lesson learned.

Shiny Triangle?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp 77

The statement said he will be advisor to management after the league. Will he'll be working with the players or with management?

I think one way of bringing in a new coach without stepping on Egan's or Dunne's toes is as an advisor to them and not doing their job for them.

Also how bad was the pull on Joe o'Dwyer? Was opposite side of field to me. Heard it rather than saw it. Sheedy and Egan went buck.

Less than a minute later - goalkeeper sends a short puck out to O'Dwyer. O'Dwyer loses the ball to a Dublin player. Point. Inexperience from the keeper. No short pucks to lads who have just been treated for a bang to the head. Lesson learned.
    I was talking to a fella after the match and he said Sutcliffe should have gone a lot earlier and the ref bottled it. That most have been what he was taking about.
    It sounded like a fair wallop from the new stand

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    I was talking to a fella after the match and he said Sutcliffe should have gone a lot earlier and the ref bottled it. That most have been what he was taking about.

Open to correction - last year we played the Dubs in Croke Park for the League Quarter Final. Ronan Maher got sent off for two yellows but Danny Sutcliffe had a high strike on Paudie Maher and also should have got the line then too. Hes been lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

Ompala wrote: »
    Open to correction - last year we played the Dubs in Croke Park for the League Quarter Final. Ronan Maher got sent off for two yellows but Danny Sutcliffe had a high strike on Paudie Maher and also should have got the line then too. Hes been lucky.

Is this the same Paudie Maher that smashed Michael Rice's hand and got away with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Grats wrote: »
    Is this the same Paudie Maher that smashed Michael Rice's hand and got away with it?

It is unless you know of a second paudie Maher who is currently playing for tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

In a game in which Tipp got three times as many frees as Dublin, you can hardly accuse the ref of bottling it!

It’s a fair question and answer is i don’t really know. But my thinking is if liam only wanted EOS back as a mere adviser, it could be done in a much more discreet way than they are doing it. Not sure if he’s at all the training sessions or just some, but he wouldn’t have to be so visible at matches either. Maybe somewhere between coach and adviser? And I’d be surprised if he wasn’t dealing with players or that they couldn’t contact him if they so desired at the very least.

How it all impacts on Tommy I’ve no idea tbh. Maybe Liam spelled it out about EOS possible arrival before he came on board because I’m pretty sure that was Liam’s intention all along.

Tipp 77 wrote: »

Sutcliffe is a hot head. Wasn't his first or last red.

We've learned a lot about players who lose their cool in this league.

Tony Kelly can be got to. Sutcliffe. Lehane. Hardney.

On a seperate note, Cork and Kilkenny tried to pull a fast one by leaving out their sent off players despite being told they were available. It's an effort to have them availble for championship. That will comeback to haunt them. It doesn't work like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp 77

If anyone has a season ticket they I mailed them to today because mine hasn't been updated for the Dublin game yet and they said the weekend Hurling Fixtures should be going through tomorrow

My Championship team for the 1st round:

Paul Maher

Barrett Barry R Maher

R Byrne B Maher P Maher

McCormack Noelie

Kehoe John McGrath O'Meara

Morris Forde Seamie

I think that's the most assured and best spine we have. Brendan has the pace and intelligence to protect the wings. Also has good delivery. That said switching Paudie to 6 or Brendan to the wing is an easy swap. I just think against Cork that Brendan would do a greta job from center back. John McG is the forward that has the best skillset and mindset for centre forward. O'Meara is great but he is not at the level of John McG in terms of all-round game. If John McG wasn't working at center forward, I'd move Dan there. I like the idea of the forwards moving around. It works to an extent. I wouldn't move John McG or Forde though - I'd rotate the rest around them. We'd have some good options off the bench then - Bubbles, Breen, Bonnar, Willie Connors, English, Flynn, Kennedy, Brian McGrath, Cadell, Heffernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

My Championship team for the 1st round:

Paul Maher

Barrett Barry R Maher

R Byrne B Maher P Maher

McCormack Noelie

Kehoe John McGrath O'Meara

Morris Forde Seamie

I think that's the most assured and best spine we have. Brendan has the pace and intelligence to protect the wings. Also has good delivery. That said switching Paudie to 6 or Brendan to the wing is an easy swap. I just think against Cork that Brendan would do a greta job from center back. John McG is the forward that has the best skillset and mindset for centre forward. O'Meara is great but he is not at the level of John McG in terms of all-round game. If John McG wasn't working at center forward, I'd move Dan there. I like the idea of the forwards moving around. It works to an extent. I wouldn't move John McG or Forde though - I'd rotate the rest around them. We'd have some good options off the bench then - Bubbles, Breen, Bonnar, Willie Connors, English, Flynn, Kennedy, Brian McGrath, Cadell, Heffernan.

I broadly agree with you. Move Dan into the forward line, Breen to centre field, no place for Callanan based on his league form. Team is in need of surgical treatment.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    I broadly agree with you. Move Dan into the forward line, Breen to centre field, no place for Callanan based on his league form. Team is in need of surgical treatment.

Yeah, it's hard to argue for Seamie at the moment. Was still better against Dublin than Bubbles the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

Tipp Team for Sunday :

Evan Comerford
    Alan Campbell
    John Meagher
    Emmett Moloney
    Kevin Fahey
    Daire Brennan
    Jimmy Feehan
    Steven O'Brien
    Liam Casey
    Jack Kennedy
    Liam McGrath
    Brian Fox
    Philip Austin
    Conor Sweeney
    Michael Quinlivan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Its a pity that the Tipperary County Board could not see its way to putting today's team on its website.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement