Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on buying a good semi-dry wetsuit for Irish waters!

Options
  • 07-02-2004 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

I am a newbie to scuba diving and I am pool training at present. I will be diving off the North-West coast of Ireland hopefully.

I have looked at some semi-dry's like;

Scubapro Pacific, Stek and Scotia
    Cressi Lontra II and Logica
    Beaver Icelandic Ultra and 2000
    Oceanic Shadow
    Mares Thermic and Evolution

I am bit confused. need a good suit that is warm and that I can use in moderate climates, two-piece...! I will probably move up to a Drysuit later on with training. Can anyone help! Something warm for these waters, any advice is good advice..
    Recommendations very welcome.

Cheers Ro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Well Ro,

A Semi Dry suit isn't really a great way to go. A dry suit is the best option, trust me once you dive dry you'll never go back. Its worth renting for a couple of weekends and then get your dry suit speciality done soon, most dive centres will do a deal that will throw in the suit & course for a reduced price..

Can't reccomend a semi dry as i've never dived one. However the Gates Pro Vsn 1100 dry suit is a very good dry suit.

Diving semi dry will leave you damp and cold and a little bit miserable....and you will feel the joy being sucked out of you diving. Dry suit all the way. Its worth it in the long run ad your diving will be way more enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ronanm98

Peace,

Yeah, as I said will probably move up to Drysuit later, but what about diving in warmer moderate waters with it.

I think a semi-dry wetsuit with mono and shortie is still a good investment!

Cheers Daddy-oh..

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Ro,

When you say warmer moderate waters do you have any place specific in mind?
    E.g. Red Sea, Carribbean? The reason I ask is, for the places I just mentioned, it would be hard to find one suit that would be warm enough for Irish waters and not way too warm for the likes of the Red Sea. I started off diving in Ireland in wetsuit (officially a semi dry but there wasn't anything dry about it) and it was .......an experience.

My advice would be, if you're serious about diving, and intend to dive regularly in Ireland get 2 suits. A good drysuit for diving here and a thin wetsuit for the holidays. I, like Peace, have a Gates Pro VSN 1100 drysuit, very nice drysuit, but expensive. I then have a Scubapro 5mm full length wetsuit for warm waters. These are cheap enough (relatively speaking of course).

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've dived in semi-drys in Ireland and it sucks. The first dive is not so bad when you suit is nice an dry but having to pull on a soggy semi-dry in the middle of november is not fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Personally I would recommend a second hand semi dry if you are starting off. The Gates Pro Vsn 1100 while it is an excellent drysuit is way too much for most beginners to get. I bought an O'Dare semi dry when I started off and upgraded to a Typhoon drysuit after 2-3 years when I knew I wanted to continue diving. While the drysuit keeps me perfectly dry, I think the wetsuit is a lot easier to learn to dive in. You've less to worry about. Having said that, once you go drysuit, you'll never go back.

As for using your semi dry elsewhere, I would say forget it. If you're getting a semi dry for Ireland its going to be 7 or 8 mm or whatever it is which is much to restrictive and warm for diving anywhere else in the world. You could try Rodale's etc to see if any of the semi drys are reviewed there but to be honest I'm not sure there'd be a huge difference between them. You'll still get wet.

If you decide to get a new semi dry, there's always the option of upgrading to a drysuit in a couple of years if you're still as enthusiastic and selling off your semi dry second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Hi Ro

I dived until very recently all my dives in my 2 piece 7mm Beaver Icelandic and was very warm and comfortable in Irish waters - even in Mulroy Bay in 5 deg C. Getting changed afterwards is another mission - but you learn to do this quickly!!

I have just bought a dry suit and am in two minds about it - I am very cold in it and find it cumbersome and just awkward in comparison to a semi dry.

Scubapro are doing a very good Semi Dry at the moment - it has a rear entry zip - like a dry suit and also double seals - making it the dryest around - apparently. Havent tried it but am thinking of buying one for little sis.

HTH

Ka:-)
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Hi Ka

Cant belive what you are saying here....
    What kind of drysuit and undersuit are you using ?

Try to add 2kg of extra led next time you diving Ka, maybe you have to little air in the suit ?

Jan
    With Weezle Extreme +, undersuit (too hot for Irelands tropical water)

www.weezle.co.uk

Hi Jan

I am in a Weezle Extreme and an Azdry Dry Suit - with 16kg (32lb) of weight - I was using 12kg with semi dry. I think I am overweighted and am going to try with 2kg less next time. The air in the suit does help - but I cant bear the feeling that my boots are going to fly off!!!LOL I am wearing ankle weights also....

Not sure what else to do but persevere!!

Hmmm i dont now what to say now, have good experience with hot water suit but thats probaly not practical for your type of diving...

If you use 5 finger gloves mayby you should try 3 finger gloves.
    And an extra hood like i have in this picture may also help.
    Little kinky mayby, but works fine if its cold or stinging jellyfish around.

Jan

LOL

I will persevere! Its a membrane suit. I will just have to get some Fourth Element for under the weezle :-) But Dunnes Stores Thermals will do for now!!!

• Advertisement

HI KA

I was at the Diveshow in London last weekend and a guy came up to me and said, Hey you come here..ok what does this guy want then.., sell me a Discover the pool or some Mares ruby reg. or something..There was this big full size diver doll, fully dressed up, and had hole in the drysuit on the tummy...and this salesman said stick your hand in there...ok ..wow HOT in here. Typhoon are now selling something that you put on your upper body, it looks kind of smart too, (thats imortant to girls:) ), connected to a battery and wips you will never be cold again. They say it will work if it get wet too, and you will not get fried.
    I just thought about you and how cold you are.

Jan-E.

PS. Hope the Biology course went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I see this body warming thing advertisied alright... one by typhoon called the icebreaker. It however requires you to carry a seperate battery pack external to the suit.

Personally i might give it a miss. A nice warm under suit will tide me over... my current 100(mg.. or whatever) simply isn't warm enough and will have to replaced for the season> i have no wish to freeze myself through some long deco stops. Plus the cold always makes want to pee so bad its not funny.

Hi Jan-E

Thanks!! I seen this in Diver magazine recently!! I feel so restricted and bulky in the dry suit as it is - that would be good fun to try LOL

I am going to be in dry suit for powerboating tomorrow and sunday - all day with dives in the evening - so hopfully wearing it for more and longer will help me get used to it!

Marine Bio - hit some difficulties. Any marine biologist/divers out there? Let me know

Happy Diving..

Ka
    Yes, its the same one that is in the magazine, imagine taking off some layers and be warm. It would be perfect for you out all day and making a dive or two.

I have a good friend www.espenrekdal.com that are marine biologist and a underwater photograph, mayby i shuld invite him over to make an article for Irish diving in a scandinavian magazine, mayby get some more vikings over here :)

Jan

Get homesick when i look at some of the pictures from Norway on his website :(

Hi Jan

WOW the photos on that site fcuk they are amazing!!!

I'm at work so on a fast connection so I will get a good look through the site and will pass on the link to others...thanks

Advertisement