Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand in August

Options
  • 22-05-2006 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of heading off to Thailand for the first two weeks of August. Whilst I am there I hope to do some diving. Last year I completed my advanced open water in Koh Tao, Thailand in April.

Has anybody here been diving in Thailand during the month of August? I would like to try and dive in the Andaman sea, considering I have already been to Koh Tao (Gulf of Thailand) but I have heard that the conditions are not that favourable in August.

If anyone has any experience of diving in August in Thailand I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The west coast of Thailand would be better in August alright, but where to go is up to you. I dove Koh Toa myself. Did a few dives in the Andaman near Krabbi but the vis was only 2 or 3 meters. That was in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Derek M

Thanks fro the reply Evil Phil. I received some replies from dive companies on both sides. Koh Tao does seem to be the better option in August. Supposedly there is a good chance of spotting whale sharks! Hopefully I will decide within the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

did some very brief snorkling down the south last august. conditions seemed fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I can recommend Buddha View on Koh Toa, they were very good. And although its expensive it worth heading out on the early dives in the speedboat, well worth doing at least once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Derek M

It was Buddha View who replied to my email. He was the one who mentioned the whale sharks. There are some conflicting reports about the Andamna sea vrs the Gulf of Thailand during August. But considering I will be accompanied by some friends whom might not take to diving, I might be as well off going for the safer option weather wise and sticking with Koh tao.

Thanks for the comments guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Dived Koh Tao in early spetember and had 15 meters viz.. except 1 day when there was a massive amount of early morning rain and it was a lot of alluvial sand around.

Dived with planet scuba, dived all about the place and found the diving there brilliant (not as good as GBR but still interesting) .. might see some black tip reef sharks and possibly whale sharks if you are very very very lucky

Advertisement