Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer population control Pheonix park

Options
  • 14-04-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering why deer are culled in the Pheonix Park as opposed to neutered?

I know they are beautiful animals but I’m not looking to start a debate on whether it is right or wrong.

I’m sure other options were researched and it was decided that this was the best option. They are in a urban area so this would have implacations for herd size as they don’t have as much space as they would have somewhere rural. I wonder would there be health implications for the herd with too many males living in such a restricted area for example?

Also because the space is shared with humans again I understand that the size needs to be controlled for safety.

Maybe deer don’t do well under anesthetisia compared to other animals? Or would it have really bad affects on the health of the male as they are a wild animal?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The cynic in me says there is no money in neutering, the meat is sold when they are culled.

Seriously though I have no idea. The deer are amazing creatures and I hate the thought of any of them being killed but it's a safety issue

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eviltwin wrote: »
    The cynic in me says there is no money in neutering, the meat is sold when they are culled.

Who organises it? The opw? How much, as a percentage of the exceuqer, is raised from selling deer meat?

I have a feeling the countries budget isnt reliant on the money raised from the deer cull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Time to reintroduce wolves into Ireland deer population out if control they have no predators

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Time to reintroduce wolves into Ireland deer population out if control they have no predators

Oh great idea. worse than being shot. They can be fed birth control so yes the meat for money

Similar set up in Killarney when I was still living on the edge of the park

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/120-deer-shot-in-killarney-as-significant-cull-goes-on-871155.html

The Inishfallen episode was a total disgrace and negligence.

The Healy Raes are campaigning for fencing but apparently no road accidents have actually been caused by deer and speeding is a real danger.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh great idea. worse than being shot. They can be fed birth control so yes the meat for money

Can't see the deer's getting the hang of condom's they are tricky enough to get on with hands, be a nightmare with hooves

• Advertisement

Can't see the deer's getting the hang of condom's they are tricky enough to get on with hands, be a nightmare with hooves

????? Birth control as in pills for females!! Some places do it to curb rabbit populations. lol..... I did write " fed"!

Then maybe bears to control the wolves?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Then maybe bears to control the wolves?

Do bears control wolves?
    The first wolf pack in years has just reestablished itself In Holland, I'll see if I can find a link..
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47838162

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do bears control wolves?

Dont know. I googled wolves natural predators and it says bears kill wolf Cubs.

Whatever other dangerous predator for wolves can be subbed in.

Lions great way keep wolf population under control

• Advertisement

I heard one of the problems with trying to reintroduce grey partridge, was very little predators of fox's (and fox Cubs), so the fox's can freely hunt the partridge...
    (pretty sure wolves disappeared in the 1700s,but bears are gone with thousands of years... Probably

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I heard one of the problems with trying to reintroduce grey partridge, was very little predators of fox's (and fox Cubs), so the fox's can freely hunt the partridge...
    (pretty sure wolves disappeared in the 1700s,but bears are gone with thousands of years... Probably
    Wolves didn't disappear they were hunted to extinction unfortunately

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wolves didn't disappear they were hunted to extinction unfortunately

A bit of an odd thing to say. We don't have to deal with wild predators. Which is helpful with large agriculture. Not so much with large vermin though.

A bit of an odd thing to say. We don't have to deal with wild predators. Which is helpful with large agriculture. Not so much with large vermin though.

I find them beautiful animals I think it's sad when when men hunt them to extinction.
    Birds of prey have been reintroduced why not wolves?

I find them beautiful animals I think it's sad when when men hunt them to extinction.

There are wolves in Ireland, in secret places in eg Leitrim. One in kerry too.

Graces7 wrote: »
    There are wolves in Ireland, in secret places in eg Leitrim. One in kerry too.

Really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

We don't have a deer problem, the deer have a people problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Figure out a way to explain to a wolf that wild deer are on the menu but sheep aren’t, and get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Even if all the people vanished tmrw - natursl increases would result in bigger populations which would outstrip available food supply. Deer populations are normally kept in check by large predators - these dont exist in Irland anymore.

Personally I see nothing against proper population control through using licenced and permit holding shooters. For existing herds - it helps control inbreeding and overpopulation in restricted areas especially and prevents animals from starving and dying in large numbers during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We do have a deer problem in multiple locations. Deer are a prey animal so need predators to keep their numbers in check by removing the weak, otherwise the whole population suffers from overpopulation and end up starving to death. We have removed the predators so we need to control the population now.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Figure out a way to explain to a wolf that wild deer are on the menu but sheep aren’t, and get back to us.

Farmers could take sheep in at nighttime or get them karate lessons

The French are paying compensation to farmers who's animals are injured or killed, if they take measures to reduce attacks, (fencing, guard dogs Ect) none of which would prevent a pack of hungry wolves, but they usually go after wild prey...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

and kids......

Consent classes?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Charles Ingles, unless you have something sensible to add to the conversation don't post in this thread again.

Charles Ingles, unless you have something sensible to add to the conversation don't post in this thread again.

Fair enough
    Started out with the genuine suggestion of reintroduction of wolves to control wild deer population, still think it's a good idea and has been test cases in Europe.
    Sorry for acting the maggot I do think it's a serious issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

The way the deer are culled in the park is selective weaker,older and females past breeding as well as bucks with inferior genetics.
    The deer are a food source and should end up in the food chain.
    Sentimentality is of no use to an animal who starves to death.
    Whether you agree with the methods used or not death by a rifle bullet leads to a lot less suffering.

and kids......

How many kids around Europe are attacked by dogs each year, and how many by wolves...?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would imagine that there are issues with sterilisation due to logistics and cost (tranquilising, transporting to vet, operation, making sure animal wakes up, transporting back, post operative monitering, all on an animal that very easily dies of stress), and oral contraceptives would be difficult to efficiently administer; how often would it need to be administered? How would you make sure that the right deer gets its dose consistently?

Unfortunately culling is probably the only way that logistically makes sense. IIRC a lot of the meat goes to the zoo for the animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kylith wrote: »
    IIRC a lot of the meat goes to the zoo for the animals.

It''s sold to a game dealer for something like €96 per carcass - I remember it being just under €100 and being :eek: when they were talking about it on the radio because I pay €5 per kg of venison chunks for the dogs! The sniper was on talking about it - they have a sniper do it because if they shot the deer say in the leg and wasn't killed he'd release testosterone and spoil the meat.

Advertisement