Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SpringBoard HDip ICT Conversion

Options
  • 13-04-2019 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm currently doing a distance learning Hdip in software development with an IT in the west which I'm taking over 2 years while working full time.
    I already have an undergrad in the humanities and a MSc in social science/ design research from a university.

I suppose I'm coming here with two questions.

Has anyone gone on to a career as a software engineer from one of these courses? I'm defenitely looking forward to the placement element of it.

Also what salary would a graduate from one of these courses earn? I'm currently on 24.5k in a content review position.

If all goes well, I'd even consider continuing with an MSc in computer science (I'm 25)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

On my last project in IBM we had a guy who had completed one of these courses. He was dropped into a heavy-duty C++ role and he was terrific. He was hired, like everyone else, into the starting developer position (Band 6) and he was as good as anyone with a masters. With your design education, you're actually in a really good position: rather than having a pure computing education, you have a different primary education with the tools from computing added on - a better mix than the often blinkered ICT view.

The Band 6 rates from IBM vary - it's quite a broad range, but I would expect 30-35K to start.

Advertisement