Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

white stains on drinking glasses

• 01-04-2019 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I used a cheaper dishwasher tablet and now some of my drinking glasses have white stains on them. I have rewashed them with a better brand but the marks are still there :( any ideas on how to remove them greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I used a cheaper dishwasher tablet and now some of my drinking glasses have white stains on them. I have rewashed them with a better brand but the marks are still there :( any ideas on how to remove them greatly appreciated

It's most likely lime from the water, try vinegar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Try toothpaste, and use white vinegar as a rinse aid even when using tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DogKidsHubby

Thanks. Luckily they are not really expensive glasses so will try the toothpaste and vinegar :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Thanks. Luckily they are not really expensive glasses so will try the toothpaste and vinegar :)

Then just dump the glasses and just use vinegar as a rinse aid going forward lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Start using the water softener in your dishwasher.
    The multi function tablets only soften the water during the wash part of the cycle, not during the rinses.

They rather misleadingly tend to advertise "salt function", when in reality they're just using water softening chemicals.

Dishwasher salt doesn't actually soften water - it's used to recharge the water softener built into your machine. There's an ion exchange filter in the bottom of the machine. The resin beads inside grab calcium and magnesium ions from the water, replacing them with sodium ions and then once in a while the dishwasher flushes the filter with salty water which recharges it.

So basically if you're using salt in the dishwasher's salt reservoir, if will automatically manage its own water softener and your dishes will be rinses with soft water and you won't get spots on stuff

Also if you're using cheaper tablets, check the reviews first. The Lidl ones are supposedly excellent while some of the other supermarket own brands may be rubbish

• Advertisement
Advertisement