Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Deloran? Fintos in Irish Times

• 27-03-2019 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

http://www.eroadster.net/

Thought it was an early April Fools but website seems legit. €65k for an electric sports car made in Leitrim... is it time we reined in government grants or is this serious?

600 Km +between charges!
    0 -100 KPH in 3.8 seconds.
    160 kph - top speed.
    Multiple handling modes – track, sport, drive and eco
    Comfortable and cutting edge design!!
    Space age interior.
    Fast charging capabilities - 25 - 30 minutes.
    State of the art technology, infotainment, ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems), HUD (Heads Up Device) to assist your comfort and driving ability.
    30% lighter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's 30% Lighter.............than what ????? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

This is the worst thing to come out of Ireland since Jedward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My favourite bit.
    The current price of an Spika is €64,950. Cars will go on sale in 2019

The customer must pay a deposit in order to reserve a new Spika Car.

This deposit however can be paid as a 10%, 25% or 50% initial deposit or pre-order amount. To firm up the order the remainder (making up €1,000) will be payable 3 months from the date of first payment of portion deposit. If this due amount is not paid within 3 months and 10 days to bring total paid to €1,000, the order will be deemed null and void. No refunds are payable and the customer will then lose their place on the order l

Sounds familiar? It should.

https://www.thejournal.ie/swift-composite-prototypes-electric-cars-3-3644490-Oct2017/
    A LIQUIDATOR HAS been appointed to a Louth firm behind plans to manufacture electric cars in Ireland.
    In 2015, Swift Composite Prototypes announced it was planning to build a small electric sports car, called the Alex eRoadster, heralding the project as the first Ireland-built car in three decades.
    It was envisaged that the car would sell for about €30,000, and it was hoped that by the end of 2016 it would be producing one vehicle a week and ramp up production from there.
    However, Swift Composite Prototypes was this week put into liquidation on foot of a bid to wind up the firm by the Revenue Commissioners, a creditor of the company.
    Fora contacted liquidator Frank Lynch & Co but did not receive a response to a request for comment at the time of publication, while the company is no longer contactable at its registered address.

The latest accounts for the company, which cover the 12 months to the end of 2014, show that it made a loss of just under €30,000 that year. Its net assets also dropped from just under €70,000 to €40,000.
    Still alive
    Tom Finnegan, a former project manager employed by Swift Composite Prototypes, told Fora that the company has been struggling financially for some time.
    Finnegan, who was an employee of the business from 2015 to the middle of 2016, was leading development on the company’s electric car. It was based on a prototype he developed.
    “A prototype was never produced. (The project) wasn’t moving anywhere because there was no money available.”
    Finnegan said that he is still pursuing the dream of producing an electric car in Ireland. He is now involved with another firm, Fintos Electric Cars, which is still trying to produce a vehicle based on his work.
    “We set up a new company, the project is still alive and going well,” he said.
    Finnegan previously said that the design of the car drew inspiration from Elon Musk’s Tesla Motors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The engineering chap was apparently head of engineering at Williams F1, which is some CV to be fair. If they had a working prototype then I'd say fair play, but it's all CGI. They desperately need a designer with eyes though. The rear looks like a Ford Ka that melted and the front looks like Godzilla stepped on it. Ditch the gull wing doors too. Great in theory and for effect, but without a big manufacturing base behind you guaranteed to leak and be a general pain in the arse.

They'd be better off running with the Lotus Seven electric idea. Make it outa carbon and the like, sell a few of those and build up cash reserves, experience and suppliers and a customer base.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Lol that website is horrific, did they pay some 14 year old to make it?

shocking...its just shy of having one of those old spinning email gifs.

No mention of the battery tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Sadly, many clever engineering projects fail due to incredibly bad design. I think this will be one of them unless they hire a car designer with a similarly impressive CV very quickly. Nobody is going to invest in a car that looks like a child's drawing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

They are out of their minds launching in such a cack handed way. That website will send investors and buyers running for the hills, and that is before they even see the 'car'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The deposit scheme reads like they have no confidence that anyone would want to pay 1000 up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

The web site sure does not inspire confidence, not the claim they will be ready for sale in 2019. Also, the page about deposits is laughable.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    The engineering chap was apparently head of engineering at Williams F1, which is some CV to be fair.

I believe the CTO worked for Williams Advanced Engineering, not the F1 team (but within the same group/PLC) - I think it says "While head of engineering at Williams Engineering (Williams F1)" to make the connection to the F1 team as many would not know of Williams [Advanced] Engineering.

They developed the battery pack for the Gen 1 Formula E car and many other EV tech and a flywheel based KERS system. So, impressive technical credentials.

https://www.williamsf1.com/advanced-engineering

Hopefully the website gives an unfair impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

They badly need a designer. It looks like a college project of a concept car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

charcosull wrote: »

But they claim they have one of the worlds best! http://www.eroadster.net/index.php/homepage/supercars/vedran-martinek

You can always fill out the survey...
    http://www.eroadster.net/index.php/homepage/e-car-survey

Edit: Lol. The survey let's you insert a minus figure for how much you would pay i.e. they pay me to take the car off them! minus 1 Million for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

charcosull wrote: »

I was thinking TY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is just a Honda CRX Del Sol. Seriously, look at them side by side. They are practically identical:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CR-X_del_Sol

It's like they took one, and added one of those terrible overly rounded body kits to the rear end (The ones from the early 2000's). And for the front, without having an engine block they just allowed the bonnet to come down at some stupid angle.

The wheels on the render make it look even more ridiculous. Far too small on most of the images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

It’s here at the seai energy show, it’s a prototype only.. and it’s rough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

That's a horrendous looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

Ah here. how could they proudly stand by that 'prototype'. And then ask people to pay a deposit of 1000. or a deposit on the deposit of 250.

robtri wrote: »

Lol! This must be a windup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

micosoft wrote: »
    http://www.eroadster.net/

Thought it was an early April Fools but website seems legit. €60k for an electric sports car made in Leitrim... is it time we reined in government grants or is this serious?

600 Km +between charges!
    0 -100 KPH in 3.8 seconds.
    160 kph - top speed.
    Multiple handling modes – track, sport, drive and eco
    Comfortable and cutting edge design!!
    Space age interior.
    Fast charging capabilities - 25 - 30 minutes.
    State of the art technology, infotainment, ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems), HUD (Heads Up Device) to assist your comfort and driving ability.
    30% lighter

and that's the work of a con man looking for government grants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Jesus christ look at that prototype :pac:

Did they just fcuk it together the night before the show or what?

lol

I might be happy if I made that for the young fella as a go-kart but you're not going to get anyone to invest based upon a heap like that

That has to be a wind up.

I'd pay more for a dust bin with a battery in it.

That panel gap around the boot needs a bit of refining.

loving the red drum brakes

well cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Where do you send the deposit ?To a Nigerian prince ?

If you asked me to picture a car being made in Leitrim - you know what - it wouldn't be far off looking like that prototype in my head

It gets funnier each time I look at it - what's with the glued on vent? :D

crying at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

"Space age interior." as in anything since 1957?

(pick the worst interiors since then)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chancer Level: 100

ready for production in 2019?

revenue should order a windup again really

Might be a good time to review that designers blurb again.

Vedran Martinek is an innovative designer who pushes the boundaries of what can be achieved. He has a keen eye for what is aesthetically pleasing and his attention to detail is extraordinary. His no hold barred attitude to design is apparent in everything he does.

lawred2 wrote: »
    It gets funnier each time I look at it - what's with the glued on vent? :D

crying at that

Me too, it might be to cool the AAA battery in the boot!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/electric-car-with-600km-range-to-be-manufactured-in-ireland-1.3840378

there's a video here of it being showcased by the CEO of the company (fast forward to 2:47). Seems like hes hungover to f*ck/intoxicated and doesn't seem too convincing. The biggest surprise is that it was able to hold his body weight without collapsing.

"0-100 in 3.8 seconds"

:)

TomasMacR wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/electric-car-with-600km-range-to-be-manufactured-in-ireland-1.3840378

there's a video here of it being showcased by the CEO of the company (fast forward to 2:47). Seems like hes hungover to f*ck/intoxicated and doesn't seem too convincing. The biggest surprise is that it was able to hold his body weight without collapsing.

"0-100 in 3.8 seconds"

:)

that article is a pure regurgitation of a press release without any analysis whatsoever...

can I ask what's 'revolutionary' about scissor doors?

I see production has been pushed out to 2021 now - their own website claimed production this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No mention of the battery tech.

9V

Glazers Out!

lawred2 wrote: »
    can I ask what's 'revolutionary' about scissor doors?

No hinges, they are fixed in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Slightly different specs on their Indiegogo

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fintos-electric-cars--2#/

They got €32,630!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Dashboard and seats from an Mx5

No hinges, they are fixed in that position.

You need a scissors to open them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

It's easy to design an effective website: just employ some expertise.

You just can't get away with a rubbish site these days and I suspect the website indicates the level of expertise employed all round.

For the car and website - "Should have gone to Specsavers"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That prototype looks like something someone's da made them. The panels aren't even cut straight.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    That prototype looks like something someone's da made them. The panels aren't even cut straight.

Capture.jpg

dunno what you are on about, looks flush to me. some serious Williams F1 team experienced craftsmanship at hand there.

seriously, this has to be some kind of wind up or con job. looks like those panels were cut with a hacksaw. the back window looks like its been lifted off an old Fiat 500. Anyone who had a hand in putting the exterior of that 'prototype' together had no idea what they were at.

the more you look at it, the website is an absolute sh*t heap both in design and content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Why does it have a 'gear lever'... or for that matter a 'hand brake lever' ?

They would have been better off talking a small car from the 90's, painting it bright silver, and removing all the badges..

Even the comically bad EVs they built in Uganda look better than this,

http://kiiramotors.com/vehicles/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

....and their Website was a hundred times more professional :)

I love the "Smack". :D

http://kiiramotors.com/vehicles/kiira-ev-smack/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The top gear EV with the generator in the back looked better than this.
    I can only assume that they are drawing grant aid big time from seai and there must have been a requirement to have display car ready for this show.
    What an insulting piece of car they appeared with.
    Assuming funding will stop now as soon as possible.
    I've seen better one off cars built for the local St Patricks day parade.

what am I missing with these guys? the company looks pretty solid and their cars whilst not exactly the most attractive, they aren't the worst I've seen either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiira_Motors_Corporation

TomasMacR wrote: »
    what am I missing with these guys? the company looks pretty solid and their cars whilst not exactly the most attractive, they aren't the worst I've seen either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiira_Motors_Corporation

I think this company was mentioned for contrast - the cars may be a little goofy looking but the whole thing appears to be a genuine effort to produce EVs on a small scale locally. Fintos looks like a prank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement