Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Nfl Draft

Options
  • 16-01-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd get it started. News today that Kyler Murray has declared for the draft. No surprise that he's done it, still isn't clear if he's leaning towards football or baseball though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Daniel Jeremiah has forgetten more about draft prospects than I will ever know, but his first mock draft is awful, IMO:

https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1086330020757352448?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I have no clue about any of these players but I can't see four defensive players going first in today's NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Paully D wrote: »
    Daniel Jeremiah has forgetten more about draft prospects than I will ever know, but his first mock draft is awful, IMO:

https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1086330020757352448?s=21

If the Lions took a TE at 8 the fan base would riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If the Lions took a TE at 8 the fan base would riot.

He generally isn't even regarded as the best TE from his school so there's no way he is the first TE off the board at 8.

Drafts at this time of the year are especially pointless but this one seems like extra click baity for how bad it is.

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1091391336287211525?s=21

Jesus, he really needs to be better prepared than that for those questions.

How doesn’t he just have a standard response to them learned off at this point?

It’s inevitable they were the first questions going to be asked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Paully D wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1091391336287211525?s=21

Jesus, he really needs to be better prepared than that for those questions.

How doesn’t he just have a standard response to them learned off at this point?

It’s inevitable they were the first questions going to be asked!

I think he knows he’ll go down the MLB route. He can always try football for 1 or 2 years & go back to baseball but he can’t do it in reverse. Starting to think he’s a ego the size of Greenland this kid.

Perhaps just wants to get his name in the history books as the first athlete ever to go in round 1 of the NFL & MLB drafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,607 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He could be acting the maggot to keep himself in the news which would work in his favour when dealing with a contract. The lad is clearly all about the money as he has already pointed out.

I'm not so sure teams are going to get too excited about him though, he is just so small. Massive talent but the height is a massive issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

Really looking forward to the draft, defense heavy at the top talent wise imo, quarterbacks haven't looked at enough to decide on them yet, offensive line has a few nice pieces I'm hoping the chargers could get, I've not seen much college ball this year to know the class to well in the mid to late rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Murray has committed to playing football

Murray: 'Fully committing' life to being NFL QB https://es.pn/2WYD7j1
    via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

tgdaly wrote: »
    Murray has committed to playing football

Murray: 'Fully committing' life to being NFL QB https://es.pn/2WYD7j1
    via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Kingsbury loves him.

It’d be hilarious if they ended up taking him at #1 and trying to trade Rosen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Would take Rosen over him all day long!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,607 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Paully D wrote:
    It’d be hilarious if they ended up taking him at #1 and trying to trade Rosen!
    No chance he goes at 1 because Dwayne Haskins is a much better prospect. I think he will go no.1 in the draft.
    Imo he is the best QB prospect to come out of college since Andrew Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

Reports out that Jeffery Simmons has torn his ACL. Very hard to project where he will get drafted now, on top of the tape out there of him hitting a women a couple of years ago. Probably a top 15 player based on just talent alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Knex. wrote: »
    Would take Rosen over him all day long!

Hard to know.

Obviously Murray has the size limitations but seems to have good fight and determination. Has the talents, Baker said he'd break his records. Will draw lots of Baker comparisons but doesn't mean it will work out for him.

I'm bias however. I dislike Rosen, don't like his attitude and believe he's an average QB with an inflated opinion of himself. Thought he was good in College but nothing outrageously good.

He'll have an NFl career but I don't expect much from him, Murray could tank but if it clicks, he's an exciting prospect.

People point to his size as a major issue, and it definitely isn’t ideal, but how many highly rated college QBs that are deemed small coming out have been NFL busts due to their height?

I feel height is overly focused on and the guys that can overcome it to make it to the NFL are in a much better position to succeed than some of the tall QBs, who have issues overlooked due to their height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Mississippi State DT Jeffrey Simmons who was comfortably a first-rounder has reportedly tore his ACL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Foxtrol wrote: »
    People point to his size as a major issue, and it definitely isn’t ideal, but how many highly rated college QBs that are deemed small coming out have been NFL busts due to their height?

I feel height is overly focused on and the guys that can overcome it to make it to the NFL are in a much better position to succeed than some of the tall QBs, who have issues overlooked due to their height.

That's an interesting point. I know fundamentally it makes sense that players shorter have more to overcome in terms of the O-Line in front of them, seeing the field, and get the ball off cleanely especially in a much faster stronger environment.

We do focus on the short guys who have been a success but not as much on the failures. I'm sure it may be a case of them being overlooked, or not even getting in the league but would be interesting to see a comparison of careers by height, some effort involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is there any precedent with a team dumping a first round QB after one year after drafting/signing a starting QB? I'm intrigued to see what market there would be for Rosen if Arizona did draft a QB in the first round. At worst Rosen can be a backup on a cheap contract for the next three seasons but teams aren't going to be offering early round picks for a backup spot.

Paxton Lynch was in a similar spot and he even cleared waivers after the Broncos cut him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'm on the fence about Murray's height. He's listed as 5'9", and a lot of people online saying he's only 5'8". Brees and Wilson are 5'11" and Mayfield is 6'1" for comparison. I never thought height is a legitimate issue for QBs but 5'8" is very small. There will be some throws he just won't be able to make and this will be exacerbated in the playoffs. I still think he has every chance of being a franchise QB that being said. His height measurement at the combine will be interesting.

Can't find it now, I recently saw a top 10 list of TD leaders from players 5'10" and under, Doug Flutie was #1 and LaDainian Tomlinson was no.2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It's not so much the height, it's the size. Wilson is an absolute tank in comparison to Murray. I just don't see how he'll be durable enough to play in the NFL, especially with his style of play.

He's going to weigh about 190lbs, max.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    It's not so much the height, it's the size. Wilson is an absolute tank in comparison to Murray. I just don't see how he'll be durable enough to play in the NFL, especially with his style of play.

He's going to weigh about 190lbs, max.

Wilson weighed 204lb at the combine while being 2 inches taller, so that isn’t really that massive of a difference. He has a style of play that involves movement, but it is not like he’s out there running and throwing himself around like Cam.

What I see coming up a lot post combine will be hand size. The two most famous ‘small’ QBs, Brees and Wilson, have enormous hands, bigger than all the QBs drafted in the first-round last year. At this point I’m not sure how much weight GMs will put on it but some scouts and former QBs talk about a limit in size where you take guys off the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

There is a major question mark over drafting Murray - and it is not his talent.

Say the Broncos were to draft Murray at 1.10 - then his rookie contract would amount to approx, $18million (what Rosen got from the Cards last year) - at that point there is nothing to stop the Oakland A's coming back to Murray and offering him a major league contract worth, say $25million. Even if he went first overall and got Mayfield's contract of $33million - the A's could come back and offer $40million.

Effectively the A's can outbid any NFL team in terms of the contract they offer Murray. If you look at the serious commentary coming out of Oakland then the A's will be patient - there is a contract worth $6.5million already on the table - roughly equal to a mid-second round pick in the draft. If Murray falls below that point then it is conceivable that Murray could walk away from the NFL and go back to Oakland on his original contract. He demanded a $15million contract from Oakland to stick with baseball a month ago (money for a mid-first round pick) - the A's sat tight because they know that can come back to him at anytime after the draft and offer him the $15million - and there is always the prospect that they could get him for less.

Now - it is possible that Murray actually wants to play football - but before a team drafts him they would have to be 100% sure that he is committed and not chasing money. If there is any doubts then Murray could fall in the draft until someone decides to take a flyer on him in the hope he will stick with football.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Murray back in Oakland - while the A's have one of the lower salary expenditures in the MLB at about $80million - in 2017 they had income of $210million. Billy Beane is still running the show in Oakland and wants value for money across the board and the new billionaire owner apparently is a tight-wad - but taking Murray from the NFL after the draft would be a major publicity coup for Oakland and I could see them stumping up the money in an attempt to do it.

There is a major question mark over drafting Murray - and it is not his talent.

Say the Broncos were to draft Murray at 1.10 - then his rookie contract would amount to approx, $18million (what Rosen got from the Cards last year) - at that point there is nothing to stop the Oakland A's coming back to Murray and offering him a major league contract worth, say $25million. Even if he went first overall and got Mayfield's contract of $33million - the A's could come back and offer $40million.

Effectively the A's can outbid any NFL team in terms of the contract they offer Murray. If you look at the serious commentary coming out of Oakland then the A's will be patient - there is a contract worth $6.5million already on the table - roughly equal to a mid-second round pick in the draft. If Murray falls below that point then it is conceivable that Murray could walk away from the NFL and go back to Oakland on his original contract. He demanded a $15million contract from Oakland to stick with baseball a month ago (money for a mid-first round pick) - the A's sat tight because they know that can come back to him at anytime after the draft and offer him the $15million - and there is always the prospect that they could get him for less.

Now - it is possible that Murray actually wants to play football - but before a team drafts him they would have to be 100% sure that he is committed and not chasing money. If there is any doubts then Murray could fall in the draft until someone decides to take a flyer on him in the hope he will stick with football.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Murray back in Oakland - while the A's have one of the lower salary expenditures in the MLB at about $80million - in 2017 they had income of $210million. Billy Beane is still running the show in Oakland and wants value for money across the board and the new billionaire owner apparently is a tight-wad - but taking Murray from the NFL after the draft would be a major publicity coup for Oakland and I could see them stumping up the money in an attempt to do it.

There are a few issues with that theory though.

Murray isn’t some college baseball god, he was seen by most as a big reach where he was drafted. Right now he is a much better at football than baseball. The hope is that he will improve if he focused on baseball, but that's no guarantee, so aside from the very short-term publicity of outbidding the NFL I don’t see where the value for money is for the As to shell out that kind of money.

On Murray’s side, yes they might outbid the rookie contract in the NFL but there’s a much higher chance that it’ll be the last contract he gets in baseball than if he went to football. Look at the absolute garbage QBs that have well paying backup jobs and even if he falls out of the NFL, QBs are still making $250k a year in AAF, CFL, and presumably XFL will be throwing cash around from next year. Add in the glory of being a franchise QB leading to the much higher level of sponsorship in the NFL, the draw really isnt there to switch to MLB if he is drafted early in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

DeAndre Baker to KCC please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

D0CLzulX0AAv8AK.jpg:large

Interesting breakdown of the old school value chart for each team in the draft this year

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1100053339822309381

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats very cool. Not a very exciting draft for any Bears fans is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Blut2 wrote: »
    Thats very cool. Not a very exciting draft for any Bears fans is it?

Or Seahawks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Interesting that the Patriots and Browns ranks quiet high on the newer formula (8th, 9th) and way down on the Jimmy Johnson one (19th, 18th). I'm guessing the Jimmy Johnson formula is weighted more towards early first rounders?

• Advertisement

Kyler Murray weighed in at 5-foot-10, 207 pounds, with a handsize of 9 1/2 inches.

Size is still an issue but he is not quite the frail dwarf some expected.

Advertisement