Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Long Lost EIGHTIES Irish Pop Thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

YoshiSays wrote: »
    There was a really good compilation album called the a z of Irish rock, from solid records ... Had a ton of classics on it , and a lot from the 80s. Really, a lot of variety, creativity and dare I say melody on here ..

https://www.irishrock.org/comps/atoz.html

Will paste in a track listing when I get back to a desktop.

I have a cassette version of that very album!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

YoshiSays wrote: »
    There was a really good compilation album called the a z of Irish rock, from solid records ... Had a ton of classics on it , and a lot from the 80s. Really, a lot of variety, creativity and dare I say melody on here ..

https://www.irishrock.org/comps/atoz.html

Will paste in a track listing when I get back to a desktop.

Good stuff. The Would Bes - theres a blast from the past! I wonder why Horslips arent included in that compilation, though. Seems an omission to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

In 2020, I wrote a long review of The A To Z Of Irish Rock. The only place to find the superior single version of the Hothouse Flowers' Love Don't Work This Way on CD.

Wow - nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Executioner511

OK not strictly 80s 1990 however probably recorded or written in the 80s ,Swim a band from Crumlin who should have been a lot bigger so many Irish bands crashed and burned in the 80s and 90s but left a lot of great music behind.
    https://youtu.be/dZOMyVtAB3M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have a cassette version of that very album!

Further to the discussion on The A to Z of Irish Rock, I was confusing it with another Solid Records compilation called Solid Citizens from the 1980s! I have the A to Z etc. on CD. It's Solid Citizens that I have on cassette. Here it is:

Solid Citizens (Compilation)
    Various – Solid Citizens
    Label: Solid Records (4) – ROCC 1
    Format: Cassette, Compilation
    Released:1988
    Genre:Rock Style- Alternative Rock, Indie Rock
    Tracklist
    A1 Aslan– Loving Me Lately
    A2 Blue In Heaven– When Will You Be Mine
    A3 Missing Link – Home
    A4 The Stunning– Half-Past Two
    A5 Rex And Dino– Someone To Love
    A6 Burning Embers– Sweet Young Lady
    A7 Ghost Of An American Airman– She's The One
    B1 Killer Watt– Pretty Vacant
    B2 Predator – Missing In Action
    B3 Blue In Heaven– Nothing Left In Life
    B4 Aidan Walsh– Rock My Brainy Head
    B5 Cypress Mine– Sugar Beet God
    B6 The Stunning– Got To Get Away
    B7 Missing Link – Shake It Up
    B8 Guernica– Deep Sea Diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Solid Citizens is a great compilation & snapshot of the time - PAY NO MORE THAN £5.99

Would have been great if it got a CD release as I have a good few of the tracks on vinyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭BOSTIK

I like this one, especially with its nod to Waterloo Sunset.

"Love Like A Rocket", unfortunately for Bob it didn't propel him too far up the charts though.

Advertisement