Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing a towel radiator

• 28-11-2017 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get a towel rad fitted into my bathroom. I see that I can pick up a rad for as cheap as 100euro without valves (not sure how much extra these would cost), but I would obviously need a plumber to do the work for me.

1. Is this a relatively straightforward job or is there a lot more to it than just sticking the rad up on the wall?

2. We need to get a full heating service done on the house before moving in. Would it be a good idea to get the rad fitted at the same time?

Totally new to all this home stuff. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I removed a radiator and installed a towel radiator refeeding the rads pipes to the towel rad without any real plumbing knowledge - pretty easy

I got a pair of valves off Chadwicks for about 30 euro - not expensive at all (depending on what you want of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

fritzelly wrote: »
    I removed a radiator and installed a towel radiator refeeding the rads pipes to the towel rad without any real plumbing knowledge - pretty easy

Think I got the valves off Chadwicks for about 30 euro - not expensive at all (depending on what you want of course)

Okay, I definitely can't do that I'm no way practical at all like that! Well done though and glad to hear it's easy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try not to skimp on quality.
    I have seen some get very shabby after a few years.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Okay, I definitely can't do that I'm no way practical at all like that! Well done though and glad to hear it's easy enough

Just plan where the rad goes, get a copper pipe cutter and cut to the positions to feed the towel rad, use compression fittings to feed the pipe up/down or whatever to where its going - really easy and any plumbers will help you out.
    Think it took me maybe an hour all told including drilling for the new rad - though I had prepared for taking it through the cavity first so no ugly pipes along the wall...
    elperello wrote: »
    Try not to skimp on quality.
    I have seen some get very shabby after a few years.

Got the rad off ebay for about 100 euro (chrome) and valves from Chadwicks like I said - some 8 years later look as good as the day I bought them

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Hi All,

I was thinking about changing the existing standard small radiator in the bathroom for the towel rad. At the moment, existing radiator has valves on both sides and it is also 50cm wide.

Towel rack I was thinking of getting would be this one : from screwfix (seems to have good reviews).

Since I never did the radiator change in my life, would that work? I presume that I could sort the width difference easily, and after it, I would only need to top up the system (I have 2 water tanks in the attic, smaller one is probably for heating?) and bleed the new radiator until the water starts to come out of it instead of bubbles/air? :D

That would be the theory at least :)

Thanks in advance for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Fwarder wrote: »
    Hi All,

I was thinking about changing the existing standard small radiator in the bathroom for the towel rad. At the moment, existing radiator has valves on both sides and it is also 50cm wide.

Towel rack I was thinking of getting would be this one : from screwfix (seems to have good reviews).

Since I never did the radiator change in my life, would that work? I presume that I could sort the width difference easily, and after it, I would only need to top up the system (I have 2 water tanks in the attic, smaller one is probably for heating?) and bleed the new radiator until the water starts to come out of it instead of bubbles/air? :D

That would be the theory at least :)

Thanks in advance for your help :)

No real advice here, but I am the OP and I never did the changeover.

It was explained to me that I might actually lose heat in the room with the towel rad so as of yet I haven't made the change.

Having pipes coming up the wall to where the towel rad would be is gonna look messy, maybe an electric rad might be better...

Advertisement