Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody else with a recumbent bike?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is there such thing as a bike as low as a recumbent but with the opposite body position, i.e. head first and your chest close to the ground with the cranks near to the rear wheel? Have always thought that such a riding position would be very aerodynamic. Would probably be uncomfortable to ride chest down for breathing but reckon it would be pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Muahahaha wrote:
    Is there such thing as a bike as low as a recumbent but with the opposite body position, i.e. head first and your chest close to the ground with the cranks near to the rear wheel? Have always thought that such a riding position would be very aerodynamic. Would probably be uncomfortable to ride chest down for breathing but reckon it would be pretty fast.

The only one that springs to mind is:

CSP2284_Beastie_Internals.jpg

Looks cool but would imagine balance is a problem. Some speed he got out of it for a homemade bike. Id wonder would making it longer so the entire body is lower and between the wheels make it even faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Can't see that being greatly comfortable for more than a couple of km trip!

Would much prefer one of these- Comfortable, protected from weather, very fast, on rolling hills rides like a rollercoaster, great for covering long distances.

478460.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would it not be a beast to handle in crosswinds?

• Advertisement

would it not be a beast to handle in crosswinds?

2 wheeled ones would be, but most road-based velomobiles are trikes underneath. That said, even being 3 wheelers, I understand high crosswinds can still make them a bit twitchy, especially at the high speeds they are capable of.

There is one model called the Quattrovelo which is fairly unique in that it has 4 wheels, and is supposedly super stable on cornering, high winds etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cython wrote: »
    That's not just a tandem recumbent though. His stoker seat is (since he is paralysed) set up for hand cycling, while the pilot is more along the lines of a normal recumbent. Overall a very unique bike for someone in a fairly rare position in terms of disabilities!

a good point and well made! I'd forgotten about the combination of standard recumbent and hand bike.

continuing my tangent then, I also saw a hand bike on the Mullingar to Athlone greenway on Saturday, didn't look like Mark Rohan from what I could see but I'd have thought there wasn't too many of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Duckjob wrote: »
    Would much prefer one of these...on rolling hills rides like a rollercoaster
    Ridiculously slow going up, terrifying going down? :D

Apparently the typical weight of those things is 35kg!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

2 wheeled ones would be, but most road-based velomobiles are trikes underneath. That said, even being 3 wheelers
    cheers, looking at the photo again, i see it's a 3 wheeler, i thought it was a two wheeler.

a good point and well made! I'd forgotten about the combination of standard recumbent and hand bike.

continuing my tangent then, I also saw a hand bike on the Mullingar to Athlone greenway on Saturday, didn't look like Mark Rohan from what I could see but I'd have thought there wasn't too many of them around.

I was only thinking a few weeks ago that it is surprising we don't see more people with paralysis below the waist out on hand bikes. Like I mean the public realm in Ireland is very badly set up for people in wheelchairs, they have problems getting on buses, trains, navigating footpaths, etc. Many are virtual prisoners in their own homes. But with the advent of greenways I would have thought we would see a good few out on hand bikes as it is a segregated route with decent surfaces plus it allows them to get decent exercise which is important when wheelchair bound. But I've only ever seen one, the lad on the Clontart to Sutton route.

Is it that canal greenways are still not accessible for them? I've yet to cycle the the Mullingar-Athlone route but how would it be for a hand bike user? Are there gates in the way? How about the hills leading up to canal bridges, would some be too steep for a novice user?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Ridiculously slow going up, terrifying going down? :D

Apparently the typical weight of those things is 35kg!

Velomobiles are often said to be "ridiculously slow going uphill", but that's an over simplification. what many miss is the fact that you can harness momentum in a velomobile in a way that simply doesn't happen with an upright bike.

It is true that if you are stopped at the bottom of a hill, you dont really have any choice but to drop gears and spin your way up.

In rolling hills scenarios, its often quite easy in a VM to build up to 60-70kph before a steep hill, use the momentum to get you up and still crest the top of the hill at 40kph, where, on a regular bike any momentum would be long gone before you are even a quarter of the way up.

As regards descending, there's plenty of videos of guys getting over 100kph on descents and they look pretty well controlled. Fastest I've done on a descent on my road bike is 67kph and it scared the bejaysus out of me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Many people quote the "ridiculously slow going up" idea, but what many people miss is the fact that you can harness momentum in a velomobile in a way that simply doesn't happen with an upright bike...In rolling hills scenarios, its often quite easy in a VM to build up to 60-70kph before a steep hill, use the momentum to get you up and still crest the top of the hill at 40kph, where, on a regular bike any momentum would be long gone before you are even a quarter of the way up.

120kg of mass going at 20m/s has 24000J kinetic energy, which will get you up the first 20m of a climb, and then you're on your own.

So yes, on a rolling road it might be fine, but anything that could properly be called a hill is going to be hard work.

Might be fun if I lived in Kildare. :D

120kg of mass going at 20m/s has 24000J kinetic energy, which will get you up the first 20m of a climb, and then you're on your own.

So yes, on a rolling road it might be fine, but anything that could properly be called a hill is going to be hard work.

Might be fun if I lived in Kildare. :D

Ah here well the sort of climbs you're talking about there are hard work anyway - they are for me in any case, regardless of what horse i've got :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

doozerie wrote: »
    The only one that springs to mind is:

CSP2284_Beastie_Internals.jpg

Would hate to have a collision on that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I was only thinking a few weeks ago that it is surprising we don't see more people with paralysis below the waist out on hand bikes [...] But with the advent of greenways I would have thought we would see a good few out on hand bikes as it is a segregated route with decent surfaces...

I have yet to travel on one of the greenways, but I imagine that they have stiles or bollards to prevent cars using them, which could pose difficulties for someone with mobility issues riding a recumbent(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I have yet to travel on one of the greenways, but I imagine that they have stiles or bollards to prevent cars using them, which could pose difficulties for someone with mobility issues riding a recumbent(?)

the Mullingar to Athlone one has what I think are referred to as staggered gates? and for each they've added extra tarmac at the side to allow you to make a wide swing at them, presumably to facilitate trailers in the main? therefore as long as width isn't an issue (and it shouldn't be) then they'd be able to get through ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I don't see why they should be slower uphill than seated climbing. Are they heavy?

Weird vulnerable "dog inviting belly scratch" position doesn't appeal.

You should try it out on the next one you meet. See how it's received...

Advertisement