Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.Y Composter - Do I need anything else?

Options
  • 21-04-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

I am making a composter from pallets, similar to this one - http://palets-con-vida.blogspot.com/2011/10/compostador-con-tablas-de-pales.html
    The one I am making will go straight on to the soil and won't have feet like that one.

does there need to be a layer of chicken wire or similar ⅔ of the way down, above the hatch?
    Like this?

23hXiNH.jpg?1
    And do I need to mix anything into the compost? I never thought I did, but have been told today that I would need to mix it with something. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd only need to mix something in if you were planning on using it mainly for grass clippings, etc.; i.e. a compost bin needs a mix of greens and browns, and if you were primarily putting grass clippings in, it'd go messy and claggy.
    once there's a decent mix going in, i would not say you need anything, i've never mixed anything into mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks, and is the chicken wire correct or do I leave that out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I guess it's kinda an inbuilt sieve so all the compost at the bottom would already have been sieved, but before the question as to how all the creepy crawlies you want in the compost would get up to the material to start work on it when you fill it?

Thanks, so best to leave it out I guess?

I'll leave it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Don’t forget to consider the problem of vermin.

• Advertisement

FFred wrote: »
    Don’t forget to consider the problem of vermin.

Rats etc?

I am not planning on putting any meat scraps into it, just garden cuttings mainly, and potato peels, vegetable/fruit remnants etc. Teabags, and that type of stuff. Should I still be worried?

How to stop that from happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Suckit wrote: »
    Rats etc?

I am not planning on putting any meat scraps into it, just garden cuttings mainly, and potato peels, vegetable/fruit remnants etc. Teabags, and that type of stuff. Should I still be worried?

No need to worry on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

don't compost teabags,they have plastic in them.

don't compost teabags,they have plastic in them.

Lyons/Barrys type looking bags?
    Didn't know that. I know the Java Republic type ones with a string and label etc. do.

I mostly use loose tea tbh, but have a few in bags. I won't be composting them. I didn't realise that. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There's a few brands that don't. Pukka being one, you can compost those. Think there's polypropylene in the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'd say that (Spanish?) design would rot very quickly in our climate. Also looks lke a lot of work to construct.

I'd buy 2 or 3 of the plastic ones in the DIY store if I was you, and use them in rotation. And as they are open at the bottom to general soil life, you don't need to add any cultures of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are you making a mainly vegetable waste composter or garden and everything one,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

recedite wrote: »
    I'd say that (Spanish?) design would rot very quickly in our climate. Also looks lke a lot of work to construct.

I'd buy 2 or 3 of the plastic ones in the DIY store if I was you, and use them in rotation. And as they are open at the bottom to general soil life, you don't need to add any cultures of anything.
    I am planning on weatherproofing it. I also looked at the old whiskey barrels, but decided to use one of them as a water butt.
    Weatherproof coating on the both the inside and outside should be okay?
    Markcheese wrote: »
    Are you making a mainly vegetable waste composter or garden and everything one,

Mainly garden waste, but will be throwing in fruit and vegetable scraps from the house too.

a neighbour built a vaguely similar compost bin, but lined it with leftover insulation to keep the heat up in it. he says it does the job well for him.

a neighbour built a vaguely similar compost bin, but lined it with leftover insulation to keep the heat up in it. he says it does the job well for him.

What type of insulation to line it with?

he just has the standard enough rigid insulation with foil on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Suckit wrote: »
    Rats etc?

Just make sure that the vegetable waste from the kitchen has had no contact with cooked food or blood from meat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You don't need anything in any way elaborate. Mine is just five pallets on their edge, in an "E" layout, tied together at the corners, with a fourth one at the front secured with a prop so that it can be removed for turning the compost over. The compost is accumulated in the first enclosure, then the front is taken away and the semi-mature compost forked over into the second one. This is left to mature while a new batch is started in the first enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭standardg60

You don't need anything in any way elaborate. Mine is just five pallets on their edge, in an "E" layout, tied together at the corners, with a fourth one at the front secured with a prop so that it can be removed for turning the compost over. The compost is accumulated in the first enclosure, then the front is taken away and the semi-mature compost forked over into the second one. This is left to mature while a new batch is started in the first enclosure.

Perfect advice.. definitely best to have two or even three on the go at various stages of decomposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

recedite wrote: »

The plastic "Dalek" type are much harder to make good compost IN: they are tall and narrow, and not well ventilated. whereas, with a wide square bunker such as the pallet type, you can toss the compost over with a fork or spade every now and again, and this speeds things up considerably.

Also, of course, plastic is not sustainable whereas wood is. People make compost piles out of bed frames, wood planks, all sorts of reclaimed materials. My personal favourites are breeze-blocks, rocks and logs. And I've been making good compost for decades.

• Advertisement
Advertisement