Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Grand National 2019

• 21-04-2019 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭

Is PairofBrownEyes in?

Gun Digger and Any Second Now e/w

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,409 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I like
    Shattered Love 18-1 ew

It has run in some great company of late. This is group of lower rated types, with 6 places I fancy this to compete for one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Shady Operator for me. Also have a small interest in Gun Digger.

But if Gun Digger wins that was my main bet ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Slattsy wrote:

Slattsy wrote:
    But if Gun Digger wins that was my main bet ok.

Slattsy wrote:

Shady operator for me too. Thought this was the race for him after last run. 2pt ew

Arkwrisht as well looks a decent price at 66s 6 places 1 pt ew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Minella Rocco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Minella Rocco will do nothing, can't believe lads still back him.
    Gun digger for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Snugsborough Benny and Jury Duty for me

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Snugsborough Benny and Jury Duty for me

Shugborough Benny for me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Am absolute novice here who knows nothing about horses. Apologies in advance for this. The horse that finished 12 in Aintree is running in the Irish Grand national. So why doesn't Tiger Roll? I don't understand this at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

bobbyss wrote: »
    Am absolute novice here who knows nothing about horses. Apologies in advance for this. The horse that finished 12 in Aintree is running in the Irish Grand national. So why doesn't Tiger Roll? I don't understand this at all.

Can’t run every week. Irish National not as big as aintree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

bobbyss wrote: »

Numerous reasons. Would have a heavy weight. Had 2 big races in the past month, Cheltenham and Aintree. Aintree is a much bigger race than the Irish GN. Don't want to wreck the horse. It has it's job done for life not to mind this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

At what point does an NR have to be declared for one of the reserves to get in? I mean would they be on course and ready to go waiting for something to be pulled out? And do they go in numerical order ie if one non runner then 31 gets in, two non runners then numbers 31 and 32 will run? I fancy Fitzhenry (second reserve) and just wondering is it worth waiting instead of backing something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Tout Est Permis for me in this, I know he's top weight but he comes in fresh, gets the ground and when he won at Navan in November over 3m he looked as if he'd get further. Sean Flanagan a top jockey too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Went for 3 valsuer,accappela and measure of my dreams. Hopefully something cause at this stage I'm finding it hard to remember ever winning something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

No reserves will get in. Had until 10 yesterday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I'm gonna give Blow by Blow one more chance over fences.
    He had a great novice hurdle campaign but has disappointed over fences. A wind op last month will hopefully breath some life into him (pardon the pun).
    6 places in Powers is worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Stuck a few quid on Measureofmydreams after he caught the eye first run back before being punted in the Kim Muir. Holy one should be competitive in the opener at a big price. Small e w double with extra places too

Shout!

He was my cliff horse for a while but I ran outta excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

On Pairofbrowneyes at 12s, seemed to be well fancied for Aintree but wasn't declared. Surely has a chance here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Stuck a few quid on Measureofmydreams after he caught the eye first run back before being punted in the Kim Muir. Holy one should be competitive in the opener at a big price. Small e w double with extra places too

Nice sweat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

snugs for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

Pairofbrowneyes for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Whisperinthebreeze for me

Typical that the starter is a stickler for perfection.

On Pairofbrowneyes at 12s, seemed to be well fancied for Aintree but wasn't declared. Surely has a chance here.

Vintage Clouds in Aintree, now this... Talk about having a nightmare!

Impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Ran all over them really

boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

What do people think of the Walsh lovefest ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

turned it off in fear of it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickey1979

Painful, would not have been surprised if Granny had came on there. Never criticizing ITV again.

mickey1979 wrote: »
    Painful, would not have been surprised if Granny had came on there. Never criticizing ITV again.

I wouldn't go that far on ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

The Irish National is a hugely underwhelming experience from start to finish. We are on the road out of it and again I found it very disappointing as did the people I brought with me. I really enjoyed the 2017 National when there was sheer joy all over the course for the “little guy” owner of Our Duke but nobody seemed bothered once the race finished earlier.

Fairyhouse and HRI need to market the race a bit better, the hype around the race was poor enough and it felt like any other day on a racecourse today. I have American people with me and apart from the National Anthem beforehand there was little else for them to get excited about. As for the actual race itself, thought it was desperate - no excitement at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

mickey1979 wrote: »

You’d imagine he’d call it a day at punchestown

Motivator wrote: »
    The Irish National is a hugely underwhelming experience from start to finish. We are on the road out of it and again I found it very disappointing as did the people I brought with me. I really enjoyed the 2017 National when there was sheer joy all over the course for the “little guy” owner of Our Duke but nobody seemed bothered once the race finished earlier.

Fairyhouse and HRI need to market the race a bit better, the hype around the race was poor enough and it felt like any other day on a racecourse today. I have American people with me and apart from the National Anthem beforehand there was little else for them to get excited about. As for the actual race itself, thought it was desperate - no excitement at all.

Felt that way too watching on TV.RTEs coverage not helping,always thought it was superior to the awful ITV stuff we see every week,but today it felt a bit like it compounded by the Walsh love in.

Felt that way too watching on TV.RTEs coverage not helping,always thought it was superior to the awful ITV stuff we see every week,but today it felt a bit like it compounded by the Walsh love in.

I always enjoy RTÉ coverage but I don’t like the recent addition of Jane Mangan, there’s more personality in Robert Hall’s shoes. Can’t commebt on today’s coverage as I didn’t see it but overall I think the National was an anteclimax like it is on so many years. I think it could be the track itself, Fairyhouse is an awful venue. It’s like being back in the 1960s going racing there. Two races in today and I couldn’t wait to get out of the place - atmosphere flat and a poor card to boot. Contrast today/yesterday with Punchestown next week. There’s no comparison, Leopardstown and Punchestown are the two best tracks in the country for atmosphere and facilities.

Back to the race, good performance from the winner he looked a winner a mile out and it was just a question of waiting for him to cross the line. I think only 12 horses finished the race, the ground must have been a lot quicker than I thought and I wonder what way it’ll be at Punchestown next week? Is there a break in the weather due?

• Advertisement

Irish National falls at a bad time after Cheltenham aintree. Move it to another date? Punches fest is perfect cos it’s well after aintree Cheltenham. Leopards Festival at Christmas is a perfect date

I always enjoy RTÉ coverage but I don’t like the recent addition of Jane Mangan, there’s more personality in Robert Hall’s shoes. Can’t commebt on today’s coverage as I didn’t see it but overall I think the National was an anteclimax like it is on so many years. I think it could be the track itself, Fairyhouse is an awful venue. It’s like being back in the 1960s going racing there. Two races in today and I couldn’t wait to get out of the place - atmosphere flat and a poor card to boot. Contrast today/yesterday with Punchestown next week. There’s no comparison, Leopardstown and Punchestown are the two best tracks in the country for atmosphere and facilities.

Back to the race, good performance from the winner he looked a winner a mile out and it was just a question of waiting for him to cross the line. I think only 12 horses finished the race, the ground must have been a lot quicker than I thought and I wonder what way it’ll be at Punchestown next week? Is there a break in the weather due?

I don't like Jane Mangan either and Brian Gleeson is now doing that same face in the camera **** that he has to do on ITV during Cheltenham.
    The weather is to get cooler with spells of rain later this week,not sure what it will be like for Punchestown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Didn't see the Irish National until watching the replay a few minutes ago. What a sight it was, I counted 12 horses in it that were running in the Gigginstown House Stud colours. I thought that it had to be some kind of record, until I realised they had 13 running in it in 2017.

#who'sdesperatetowinanothernational

At least richi ricc had one dart - he threw it and it stuck. Seeing so many gigginstown colours isn’t great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

Dr. Bre wrote:
    At least richi ricc had one dart - he threw it and it stuck. Seeing so many gigginstown colours isn’t great

At least there was no giggy in the top five, it must be hard to promote the race when you have a line up like yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I must admit I can think about bigger things to gripe about than the RTE coverage. It is fine.

I am not happy with the ITV weekly cringefest. I think Matt Chapman needs to get back behind a desk answering the phone and replying to punters e-mails. He has developed into a right pain in the arse, which is a pity cause I used to think he was great. Luke Harvey is sound and I also like Jason Weaver. The rest are all a bit meh tbh.

The morning line at 9.30 starts an hour and a half to late IMO. It should start at 8.00. If you are a lazy bins you can set the record button. Faffing around until 9.30 on a Saturday morning is for teenagers, I have things to be doing.

Katie Walsh seems lovely, she is fine at what she does and good luck to her. It is not her fault her brother is a savage jockey who wins loads of races. I think Sally Ann Grassick is superb, she knows her stuff and you can tell she is a lot more into the industry than most.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

While I am in the humour I also think that Richard Hoiles is great. His segments on each racetrack are great and he seems to get a genuine buzz out of what he is doing. He is the best ITV have to offer, after Sally Ann of course.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

I disagree I think Jane has been a good addition she has great knowledge of pedigree's and is more interesting to listen too just Robert and Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

BumperD wrote: »
    You’d imagine he’d call it a day at punchestown

"How would I quit the dream? I'd love to get off one in Punchestown, pull the saddle off and tell Willie that I won't be out for the next one. That's how I would do it if I had my choice, but you don't often get to do things your own way or have a choice in these things."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

where would you rate galway? the facilities there are top class in my opinion

Has Tony O'Hehir retired ?.

Had a bet early. Didn't watch it and didn't check results until later that night. It was a poor renewal. I think the race is fine but has lost some of its lustre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

I disagree I think Jane has been a good addition she has great knowledge of pedigree's and is more interesting to listen too just Robert and Ted.

Jane has one of the best racing brains I have ever heard. She’s only a young one too, another few years and she’ll be even more impressive.

marvin80 wrote: »
    "How would I quit the dream? I'd love to get off one in Punchestown, pull the saddle off and tell Willie that I won't be out for the next one. That's how I would do it if I had my choice, but you don't often get to do things your own way or have a choice in these things."

I have a sneaking suspicion Ruby Walsh will retire next week. His wife and children seem to be at all the big days lately, that may have always been the case but there seems to be a lot more made of it of late. The way he celebrated Min’s win at Aintree seemed to me like it was a signing off one last time.

I could be reading way too much into it but I have a feeling he’ll go.

where would you rate galway? the facilities there are top class in my opinion

Galway is a great track. The stand nearest the parade ring is a bit of a dump and gets crazily overcrowded when it’s raining but overall it’s a smashing track and it’s a great experience for both racing and non racing fans. The atmosphere at Galway on a big day is unrivaled even if 90% of the racing is poor standard wise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement