Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me find a Tesla

• 25-03-2019 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭

Ok. I need some help from the experts on this forum.

I'm looking to import a Tesla model S (Highest spec possible).

I've been reading through the forum but am confused.

So few questions :

- Where is best to purchase which will be covered by warranty from Tesla
    - What can I expect for c. 50K Euro
    - Am I better waiting for the 3 to be released here
    - Any suggested links appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057831386/9/#post109625001

See the link in the last post.

Also read the posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

ted1 wrote: »
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057831386/9/#post109625001

See the link in the last post.

Also read the posts

Thank you, I have read that thread but still find it confusing in places, hence the new clean thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

Model S on autotrader.

You're welcome! ;)

Soarer wrote: »
    Model S on autotrader.

You're welcome! ;)

Thanks. VERY high mileage though (I'm aware that EV's dont have same issues that ICE have).

Ideally, looking for some options so keep them coming

Also, in terms of VRT, what can I expect as a percentage of purchase and what rebates can I get back after purchase ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a 2015 one for sale in sligo for around 50k at the moment. 45298 miles on it.

Probably get a better deal on an import I'm sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Scottie99

s8n wrote: »
    Thanks. VERY high mileage though (I'm aware that EV's dont have same issues that ICE have).

Also, in terms of VRT, what can I expect as a percentage of purchase and what rebates can I get back after purchase ?

Google VRT calculator

Edit - https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/common/access-the-vrt-calculator.aspx

Tesla have unique issues, I’d choose very carefully

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

.. what rebates can I get back after purchase ?

What rebates are you referring to, apart from a car charger grant of €600 and some reduced tolls you get nothing after purchase, there are no rebates

slave1 wrote: »
    What rebates are you referring to, apart from a car charger grant of €600 and some reduced tolls you get nothing after purchase, there are no rebates

Exactly the clarity I was looking for, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was also going to suggest umbauk's car. Ticks all the right boxes for me, auto pilot, 7 seats and a long remaining Tesla warranty. I see he has also just dropped his asking price by a few grand

That said, it is a lot of money for a 5 year old car. I reckon they will drop a good bit more in value over the next year or two, particularly as the much cheaper (but very capable) Model 3 are on their way to us soon
    Scottie99 wrote: »

Did you check your own link? Hint: no Tesla on the calculator. Good chances if you bring in a cheaper high miler that it will attract the same high VRT as some of the more expensive CPO cars that were brought in (like umbauk's one). You can fight it of course, but no guarantees there. Soon enough you should be able to bring in a GBP30k Model S and pay no VRT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Scottie99

unkel wrote: »
    I was also going to suggest umbauk's car. Ticks all the right boxes for me, auto pilot, 7 seats and a long remaining Tesla warranty. I see he has also just dropped his asking price by a few grand

That said, it is a lot of money for a 5 year old car. I reckon they will drop a good bit more in value over the next year or two, particularly as the much cheaper (but very capable) Model 3 are on their way to us soon

Did you check your own link? Hint: no Tesla on the calculator. Good chances if you bring in a cheaper high miler that it will attract the same high VRT as some of the more expensive CPO cars that were brought in (like umbauk's one). You can fight it of course, but no guarantees there. Soon enough you should be able to bring in a GBP30k Model S and pay no VRT

It must have been taken off because it used to be on.

• Advertisement

I reckon you're mixing the site up with a commercial VRT calculator site (that will give you a quote for a Tesla). The official one never had Teslas on it. Or Porsches for that matter. And they won't give you a quote up front when you contact them. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Find it hard to believe the mileage on that, mental. Must have been a right pain plugging it and out. Had to have been a long regular commute. Couldn’t be having the hassle of working out where I’ll next charge while driving around the country..

AmberGold wrote: »
    Find it hard to believe the mileage on that, mental. Must have been a right pain plugging it and out. Had to have been a long regular commute.

Why a pain? I'd say the opposite. Just plugged it in as he parked at home (and maybe at work). As you say probably a very long commute.

The famous Tesla loop taxi must be getting close to a million km on it by now...

I saw a video once of a Tesla being NCTd with 400k km on it. Original brake disks were only half worn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

AmberGold wrote: »
    Find it hard to believe the mileage on that, mental. Must have been a right pain plugging it and out. Had to have been a long regular commute. Couldn’t be having the hassle of working out where I’ll next charge while driving around the country..

It's actually very easy. You just set a destination and the car will tell you at which superchargers you need to stop and for how long.

The car will also store other chargers you have used but won't consider them when you set a destination.

The large map makes it really easy compared to other cars.

In terms of suggestions. Any in the UK ideally 80 - 90D take anyone’s fancy with lowish mileage and no more than 3 years old ?

A 161 90D is going to set you back a good bit more than your budget of EUR50k landed

Is your budget flexible upwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Honestly, just wait for the Model 3. New, full warranty and much better value for money (probably)

Agreed, Petetheroadie. Wait is probably the best advice. Wait and buy Model 3. Or if that doesn't suit (Model 3 is a saloon, no can do if you have a dog) then just wait as the arrival of Model 3 will cause the values of Model S to drop.

That's my plan anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Agreed, Petetheroadie. Wait is probably the best advice. Wait and buy Model 3. Or if that doesn't suit (Model 3 is a saloon, no can do if you have a dog) then just wait as the arrival of Model 3 will cause the values of Model S to drop.

That's my plan anyway...

I'd be in the same boat. Biding my time until the Model 3 comes out.

Now on my daily walk with the dog in Navan there is a lovely black 172 75D and it's making me very jealous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The Model S is a BIG car* - that to me is a reason to hang on for Model 3.

Still a stunning car though

*I know this sounds obvious but the Model S disguises it's size very well styling wise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree on the size of the S, wandering down country roads there's the odd time you really have to pull in or slowly go by an oncoming vehicle, I would shutter to think about my v expensive and wide MS and hedge scratches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

My friend will be selling his 14 Model S P85D 50K miles. Performance model black, top spec.

Still under 7 year Tesla Warranty, ( The Tesla warranty is actually unreal, they are the most accommodating people ever)

Had a new battery and the electric motor replaced just a week ago , as the fuse blew and damaged one of the battery cells. So effectively, this is like a brand new car now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I saw some Donegal dealer had a tesla on their used car list the other day.

Will see if I can find them again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Xpro wrote: »
    My friend will be selling his 14 Model S P85D 50K miles. Performance model black, top spec.

Still under 7 year Tesla Warranty, ( The Tesla warranty is actually unreal, they are the most accommodating people ever)

Had a new battery and the electric motor replaced just a week ago , as the fuse blew and damaged one of the battery cells. So effectively, this is like a brand new car now.

Post up a link when it goes live. Sounds like a nice car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There's quite a few model S for sale in Ireland now from 45k-60k.
    No model X yet unfortunately (other than the new ones!)

James' and Kate's white Model S came up for sale yesterday through Jonathan Porterfield - it is a bit of an incestuous world. Bjørn Nyland and Bobby Llewellyn finally met each other this week too :D

It's a 66 plater and they're looking for close to GBP44k which seems optimistic to me as the car is far from mint. They are buying a Model 3. I'd say a lot of Model S owners are going to do the same thing, first RHD Model 3 has already been spotted

The Model S is going to drop quite a lot in value in the next year or two. This might be wishful thinking :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

NIMAN wrote: »
    I saw some Donegal dealer had a tesla on their used car list the other day.

Will see if I can find them again.

Are you sure it was Donegal not Sligo? I posted one from Sligo earlier in the thread (at least I think they were based in Sligo).

• Advertisement

James' and Kate's white Model S came up for sale yesterday through Jonathan Porterfield - it is a bit of an incestuous world. Bjørn Nyland and Bobby Llewellyn finally met each other this week too :D

It's a 66 plater and they're looking for close to GBP44k which seems optimistic to me as the car is far from mint. They are buying a Model 3. I'd say a lot of Model S owners are going to do the same thing, first RHD Model 3 has already been spotted

The Model S is going to drop quite a lot in value in the next year or two. This might be wishful thinking :p
    I saw that video too, it's a facelift model so I think £42k-£44k would be pretty about on the button pricing wise.

Agree, I think RHD model3 availability will lower prices for used model S. Not sure if there is going to be a loweringon used X prices too (fingers crossed):P

Like yourself I've developed a liking for the Model X recently. The kids love it, having sat in it, the 7 seats is a handy option and I like the idea of a big 7 seat full size MPV being quicker away from the lights than a Lamborghini :D

If I won the lotto, first thing I would do is buy a ludicrous Model X, all options ticked...

Like yourself I've developed a liking for the Model X recently. The kids love it, having sat in it, the 7 seats is a handy option and I like the idea of a big 7 seat full size MPV being quicker away from the lights than a Lamborghini :D

If I won the lotto, first thing I would do is buy a ludicrous Model X, all options ticked...
    Yes I call it getting older, in my case anyway :P
    A P100DL model X is on my lotto list of cars for sure but even the entry model X60 is all wheel drive, and can be upgraded (for €2k i believe) to 75kWh over the air. Unfortunately since they only came to RHD in 2017 they are not at the £40-£45k mark yet!!

Took a spin up around Donegal in this beast:

jLBHb3Y.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Could have washed it :)

still open to suggestions folks.....

• Advertisement

still open to suggestions folks.....

Have you looked at any yet?
    Just curious as there’s a few for sale online and wondering if you’ve seen them and they had some issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EPjnr

kceire wrote: »
    Have you looked at any yet?
    Just curious as there’s a few for sale online and wondering if you’ve seen them and they had some issues ?

I'm waiting for one to jump out which is perfect (spec, alloys, colour and low mileage). I've not seen one yet but enjoying the hunt !!

I'm waiting for one to jump out which is perfect (spec, alloys, colour and low mileage). I've not seen one yet but enjoying the hunt !!

I keep an eye on this site

https://www.rsymons.co.uk

They get good reviews and lots of stock.

Can I interest you or anyone else in a 172 Model S75, 13 500 kms, blue metallic, standard 19" silver wheels, white premium seats, premium audio package, heated seats and steering wheel, Auropilot, power liftgate, HEPA filter, coil suspension, glass roof?

Reason for sale: Seriously tempted by the new Model S updates

• Advertisement

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Can I interest you or anyone else in a 172 Model S75, 13 500 kms, blue metallic, standard 19" silver wheels, white premium seats, premium audio package, heated seats and steering wheel, Auropilot, power liftgate, HEPA filter, coil suspension, glass roof?

Would you swap for an Ioniq and a bag of crisps? :D

OT:If you have that on CN plates then you pass me most mornings on the M3!

I bet you saw the FSD two days ago and you said to yourself: I want that :D

Good luck with the sale!

ELM327 wrote: »
    OT:If you have that on CN plates then you pass me most mornings on the M3!

That's someone else.

I bet you saw the FSD two days ago and you said to yourself: I want that :D

Good luck with the sale!

Not really bothered about FSD for now but I would like the improved suspension.

I don't know when we can expect any FSD features in Ireland. Navigate on Autopilot isn't even available here yet as far as I know, although it's been available for some time in the USA, Germany and Norway (if I am not mistaken).

I've got HW2.0, so it should be possible to upgrade to FSD when any meaningful FSD features become available here.

ive cash down for a 3 now. whats the view on here, am i better keeping looking for a second hand S or just go with the 3 ?

We don't know the pricing yet, it depends.

But a brand new full warranty Model 3 seems like a better deal than a 5 year old Model S that's out of warranty for similar money would be a bit of a no-brainer to me. I reckon the insanely high prices of second hand Model S will come down a fair bit soon.

I nearly bought a Model S myself recently, but what I offered for it was a few grand short of what the seller wanted. And what he wanted was far below market value.

Advertisement